Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Next to upgrade is fuel system, AEM EMS, bigger turbo and cams.

I'm trying to figure out if i should go with some 264's or 272's.

Right now i have pickup some HKS 272's but I don't know if this is the right pick for me. so please help!

I'm looking for 650-750 (more around the 750) ;) for street use. I don't plan on going to the track and don't beat my car to hell when I drive it.

I have a built bottom end. The valves are stock with BC cam springs and titanium retainers.

I'm going to be upgrading my 67mm to a 80mm turbo with 1000CC injectors.

What do you think i should do?

If you have any questions please post below!

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 67mm, ID1000's, FCon VPro, E85 tuned with no cams and I'm sitting at 714 on wastegate (18 psi).

not sure if E85 is an option for you but if it is you dont need what you think to hit that number

1,442 Posts
^^^^^Huh? You gotta be running more than 18psi...

To the OP: The 272's would be the better choice for your 80mm

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 67mm, ID1000's, FCon VPro, E85 tuned with no cams and I'm sitting at 714 on wastegate (18 psi).

not sure if E85 is an option for you but if it is you dont need what you think to hit that number

i want a good 750 for pump gas.

im going to run 2 maps with the AEM EMS, one for pump and one for e85.

If I were going to upgrade to 264's or 272's what would fit best? i dont think i want to leave them stock.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
personally i'd keep the 272's for such power estimates.

you wont get quite the midrange that you could have but i dont think you will mind. actually i have no idea what you will love or hate :)

im running gsc s2 cams which are 274 duration 10.2mm lift on a purely street car and i have zero regrets.
my powerband with a 70.3mm turbo is approx 4500-8300rpm and its simply ridiculous. its way too insane for the street. im running somewhere north of 600rwhp at 24psi daily tune on pump+meth

i dont know a whole lot about tuning but im pretty sure that my car wouldnt be considered a lag monster. and i suspect its due to advanced timing which maybe picked up some power in the midrange i dunno, and i have a 13lb flywheel & tastefully lightened hardtop mkiv.

i have absolutely zero complains when its just me driving. but i can tell you that for sure i notice what feels like extra sluggishness with 1 passanger.
i dont notice ANY slowdown once the turbo kicks in, but before it hits any boost it just feels a touch lazier.

it wasnt like that with stock cams but with the 274's i notice it now.

with no passangers it freakin rips around town out of boost.

traction is my only issue now. and its a huge issue on the street :)
my head is ported though so im not sure if your experience will be like mine, but i did come from bone stock head to +1mm valves, ported out, full ferrea valvetrain and gsc s2 cams and as you can see im definitely not complaining.
and its a street car. only street.

·
Pumps 1 and 2, hit 'em!
971 Posts
I would go with 272's for the 80mm.

This is just my opinion, but aren't 80mm and "street use" mutually exclusive?

Do you want big power or usable power? :)

1,442 Posts
i have absolutely zero complains when its just me driving. but i can tell you that for sure i notice what feels like extra sluggishness with 1 passanger.
Stop giving rides to fat chicks man!!! Lol...

This is just my opinion, but aren't 80mm and "street use" mutually exclusive?
Not at all, my 80mm setup is one of the most street friendly, daily driven supras i've been in.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!! I'm going to be sticking with my 272/272's.

next its time to look for some gsc or HSK.

has anyone heard anything about the BC 272's? or should I stick with the HSK and gsc?

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
750whp is not going to be possible on straight pump unless we're talking E85 or pump+meth.

Might hit 750 corrected on pump with our magic beans correction factors at 6000+ft altitude, though! :)

272's will definitely be your best bet for a top-end happy turbo like an 80mm.
Though if I were in your position, I'd go for E85 and run a 67mm billet and live happily ever after. at an easy 650-700.

1,442 Posts
Thanks everyone!! I'm going to be sticking with my 272/272's.

next its time to look for some gsc or HSK.

has anyone heard anything about the BC 272's? or should I stick with the HSK and gsc?

OP: You might want to do some more research. All 3 cams are totally different animals, close in duration but very different lifts. You need to figure out what you want to do with the car first.

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
I agree with Wreckless and suggest also looking into titan's cams. They seem to be making a competitive offering.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP: You might want to do some more research. All 3 cams are totally different animals, close in duration but very different lifts. You need to figure out what you want to do with the car first.
street car only. looking for 80mm turbo, 1000cc inj, aem.

want 750hp.

going to run e85

·
Registered
561 Posts
i would say for what u are wanting go with the GSC S2 cams. as far as those 1000cc inj. on E85 i would look to go with a 1600cc Precision Injc. or the ID2000's, u will max those 1000's out pretty quick with E85 and an 80mm.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
IMO, at 750whp cam choice is the least of your issues

·
Registered
199 Posts
I got a set of 272's from a friend and just swapped them in during this past week. I haven't really had a chance to re-tune the car to see how I am going to like it on the street and based on a lot of posts I have read, I may look to do a straight up swap with someone for a set of 264s. I am only looking to make around 600whp in my S13 swap so these 272s, from what I have been reading, are overkill.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
need that rough idle.

that makes me have 3-4x more fun while driving around town.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
IMO, at 750whp cam choice is the least of your issues
+1. i'm surprised more people arent commenting on this...

op, is there a reason you are set on the 80? your stated goals of ~750whp and an 80mm turbo are a little disparate. the 80 is good for approx 1100whp; at 750, it's barely into it's efficiency range.

most expert recommendations i've read, suggest that you run the smallest turbo that will make a given power level. so for 750whp, you might consider a billet 67, not an 80. just something to think about.

craig

·
intarwebs master
1,393 Posts
good advice above - the problem youre going to have is keeping the 80mm turbo BELOW 750whp unless you're going to run it at 12 psi on spring pressure and crappy fuel. I'd consider a smaller turbo and probably 264s just to keep the car non interference.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts