Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at picking up a set of wheels and tires used for my MKIII. i will be doing plenty of autoXing this summer. my original intent was to buy a set of MKIV wheels with street tires and put slicks on the stock 16" wheels for competition.

well, i came across a pretty good deal on some MKIV wheels with 275/40/17 competition slicks already mounted. the question is... will these fit? the car has been lowered with a set of greddy sport springs. i am more worried about rolling a fender in a full jounce than rubbing in a full lock turn. these will only be used on the track. I know Dr J has experimented with this, but any experience would be helpful. thanks all...

·
Registered
148 Posts
My 90t is lowered with H&R's, tokico's and it has 275-40-17's on the back. Has 245-45-17's on front. Absolutely no rubbing on my car. I'm no dr.j but thats what works for me.

·
2,279 Posts
yes they will fit. anyone coulda told ya that

If you want to talk to a specific person, thats what PMin is for.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow - super sorry outofstep. i thought this forum was for questions. didn't mean to be an idiot...

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
outofstep said:
yes they will fit. anyone coulda told ya that

If you want to talk to a specific person, thats what PMin is for.
damn, all he did was put Dr.J's name in it cause he thought that Dr.J had done this setup before... sounds like he wanted other peoples input as well...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ARTSUPRA said:
Well now you are lying :D
what a brutal forum. thanks for the input dude

·
AKA Muddy
737 Posts
DrJ, didn't you say you are running 275s all the way around? What size rim and offset are you using in the front? I am considering using SSR 18x9s in '05.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
18's are boat anchors. According to his site, jonez has 17x9 rims with a 30 mm offset. 275/40s all around. Very similar to my setup :D No more Kumhos for me though.

·
AKA Muddy
737 Posts
chevyeater-on-sf said:
18's are boat anchors. According to his site, jonez has 17x9 rims with a 30 mm offset. 275/40s all around. Very similar to my setup :D No more Kumhos for me though.
SSR Competition 18x8.5 are 16lbs each. Thanks. :D

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
chevyeater-on-sf said:
heh. amazing what you can find on people's websites.... ;) yessir. that's my setup.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Yep, with the 14" rotors I want, the 18's are going to be needed up front.
Rears will fit fine with 17's, so that will be good for DR's in the future.
:)
SSR rims are realy some of the best deals out there for lightweight forged rims. (Others are over 450.00 each.)

·
AKA Muddy
737 Posts
I am more concerned about the width, really. I know that the 17x8 ssr is 3 lbs lighter, but I would rather have the extra .5" to help support the sidewall of the tire. Since I autox, I would rather have more lateral stability than the lighter rim which will enable me to accelerate slightly faster. The car will already accelerate faster than I need.

·
Registered
298 Posts
adjuster said:
Yep, with the 14" rotors I want, the 18's are going to be needed up front.
Rears will fit fine with 17's, so that will be good for DR's in the future.
:)
SSR rims are realy some of the best deals out there for lightweight forged rims. (Others are over 450.00 each.)
SSR are 450$ in 18x9 ( GT1 models ).. just got those , they weight 19 lbs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts