Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Eibach springs and my car is very low. This biggest problem I have right now is traction. I have a 18x10 inch rim in the back and I have Yokohoma 285/30/18, but I just spin these in 1st 2nd 3rd gear when my turbo comes online at 4k rpm. I want to get a 295/35/18, do you think that this will fit? What is the stickest 18" tire that will fit on my lowered car. Thanks.

94' Supra 6spd TS04

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
boostedsupratt said:
I have the Eibach springs and my car is very low. This biggest problem I have right now is traction. I have a 18x10 inch rim in the back and I have Yokohoma 285/30/18, but I just spin these in 1st 2nd 3rd gear when my turbo comes online at 4k rpm. I want to get a 295/35/18, do you think that this will fit? What is the stickest 18" tire that will fit on my lowered car. Thanks.

94' Supra 6spd TS04
295/35-18 fits on an Eibach lowered Supra, but you will have to grind or cut or roll the fender lips. Peter B had this setup on his old black Supra. Although the 295s are perfect for an 11" rim not a 10" rim. IMHO a 275 is perfect for a 10" wide rim.

That having been said, the stickiest tires for your 18x10 wheels would be 285/30-18 BFG g-Force TA KD's. ~$320 each and in stock at the rack (unlike some KD sizes like my 315s that are on backorder :rolleyes: :mad: :( ).

Andi

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Yea, i had that setup on my black 95 and currently run the same setup on my white 98. I use 18x11 wheels with 295/35/18 G-Force T/A KD tires... Fenders are shaved off completely...
Peter

·
3,148 Posts
295's will fit without cutting the fender lip if you have the right offset. Changing the size is going to change your traction very little. I would stick with the 285/30R18, but use a BFGoodrich G-Force KD.

Later, Steve

Currently running 275/35R18's on 18x9.5" front and 295/30R18's on 18x10.5" rear. Stock rear fender lips, but I had to bend a tab on the front fender.

Later, Steve

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Well, first of all, the BFG in the 295/35 are a WIDE tire for that size. No matter what offset you run, you'll have to cut the fender in that size, in that tire, on an 11 inch wheel. The offset i have fits PERFECTLY for its size. When the suspension is unloaded the tire rubs on the shock/spring but when the car drops there is about 1/2 inch. I guess you could theoretically use up the left over 1/2 inch but then the wheel/tire combo would not be flush with the fender...
Peter

·
3,148 Posts
BFG lists the 295/35R18 as 11.9" section width mounted on a 10.5" wheel. My AVS Sport 295/30R18 is listed as 12.0" on a 10.5" wheel. Remember that your 11" wheel will spread your tire out considerably more than his 10" wheel. He is better off with a 285/30R18 on a 10" wheel.

Later, Steve

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Interesting, considering that the 295/35/18 KD is actually a bit wider than the wheel (albeit almost perfectly flush) and my AVS sports (when i had them in the same size) were actually smaller than the wheel and were stretched considerably...
Peter

·
...For Me to SUP On!!
211 Posts
What about the AVS sports compared to the BFG's? The AVS sports are a UTQG of 180 whereas the BFGs are 200... which one is actually stickier?

Thanks,
Jeff

ps. Steve, did you finally get those 275s on but you had to mod the fender? if so, and assuming i'm wanting to avoid any fender mods, what would be better: 265 front / 295 rear (possibly with TRD swaybars) or 265 front / 285 rear (possibly with TRDs)... i know you said in the past keep them within 20mm of each other... i just hate the idea of touching that fender...

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
JeffB said:
What about the AVS sports compared to the BFG's? The AVS sports are a UTQG of 180 whereas the BFGs are 200... which one is actually stickier?

Thanks,
Jeff

In my experience, g-Force TA KD's are stickier. They're also the best wearing street tire on the track.

g-Force TA KD's are the only tire I've found that is as grippy at the end of a session as at the beginning, and as grippy when almost bald as when brand new. I recall AVS Sports having aswesome grip when brand new and lackluster grip when worn. Also, AVS Sports squeal more at the limit.

Regards,
Andi
Just ordered 4 AVS Sports because 315 right rear g-Force TA KDs are on backorder and my tires are GONE :(

·
3,148 Posts
houstonT,

I forgot to mention that my AVS Sport only measured 11.7" on my 10.5" wheel. This would lead me to believe the G-Force is indeed wider. I was just trying to point out that it isn't that much.

JeffB,

I agree that the G-Force KD has more total grip, but on the street there isn't much of a difference and they are quite a bit louderer than the AVS Sport. The G-Force will last longer.

I only had to bend a tab on the fender lip. If you don't want to mess with it I would probably go with the 265/295 combo. The decision of a 265/295 vs. a 265/285 combo is going to be determined by the brand of tire your going with. If your using a P-Zero of AVS Sport than use the 265/295 combo otherwise use the 265/285.

Later, Steve

·
...For Me to SUP On!!
211 Posts
will the 265/285 BFG combo work well on those SSRs (9.5 and 10.5)? i don't want the tires to look too small for the rims, but i don't imagine that they would...

thanks for the help!

·
...For Me to SUP On!!
211 Posts
Thanks for the help... i just ordered the BFG KDs (265/285)... with these tires and the eibach/agx combo, how important/helpful would the TRD swaybars be? will they hurt straight line traction but in turn help cornering? In the domestic world, its usually suggested to remove the front sway bar for straight drag racing... not sure how the supra's suspension is affected since it seems to have much more anti squat/dive from the factory...

thanks again,
Jeff

·
3,148 Posts
Jeff,

I would recommend the swaybars. This will help keep the car from riding on the bump stops while cornering.
I don't think you will see a major difference in straight line traction versus the stock bar. It would probably make a difference versus completely unhooking the swaybar, but you can unhood this TRD swaybar a easily as the stock one.

Later, Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts