Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I've been thinking about this a while. I would like some of your all's imput. What do you think about the above topic. We all know that a car's forward acceleration is more dependant on the amount of sidewall rather than the width of a tire. Taking this into consideration, coupled with the fact that in 295, you can get the BFG TA KD, vs the 335 you can only get the pilot sport or p zero, what would you decide.

Obviously the 335 would have to be on a widened fender and bigger wheels, but barring that, from a purely traction standpoint, which do you think would be the better choice?

If I was ever racing around a road course I could have a spare set of wheels with victoracers or hoosiers on it, so that isnt of concern.

ps. we arent exactly talking about my current power output, as this wouldnt be an issue :) assume enough power that this WOULD be an issue, thanks guys.

/Mark

·
0 Posts
335's just look badass... I am pretty sure they will give you more traction vs 295's even with lowest sidewall.

·
Stock Twins King
4,499 Posts
295/35-17 (or 18) You want more rubber to the ground. I think the ideal is 315's, but Ideal for some depends on the fender rolling or modifying. I personnaly would rather go with 295/35-17's with a 55 set back and maintain stock fenders. You do need bit more side wall, and does help in the cornering.

I had 275/35-18" on all last year and I raced probably 7 times. But this year I am going with a set of 17's with Toyo's or VR on 295/35-17's and 275/35-17 front. Offset is the key with this set up.

Stu

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
If you using the same car (same weight) and running the same air pressure, the footprint of a 295 and 335 are the same. I know this is a point people just don't get but it's true. The foot print will be wider, but shorter on the 295. The total area will be the same. You will have more cornering traction with the 335, because of the wider footprint, not larger total contact patch. The bottom line is tire model/compound will have a much larger impact on traction than size (above the stock size0 when it comes to stright line traction a street air pressures. If your just interested in straight line traction and don't drive in the rain get drag radials. If you are driving the car in the curves than get some new Pilot Sport II's or G-Force KD. If you want the cornering grip go wider if you want straight line traction the size isn't as important.

Later, Steve

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments.

Steve, yeah I was just trying to make sure that my thoughts were right and you confirmed them. I know that the width affects the lateral acceleration more than the 'longitudinal'.

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I should spend the money to go widebody and fit the bigger pilot sports on there, or if the 295/35r18 ta kd's would be my best bet. As I understand the pilot sports dont grip quite as well, and have some wheelhop issues. I care about straight line traction (for turbo upgrade) but handling is very important to me, I figure that 295/35 TA KDs will still handle well so I'm not that concerned there. Thanks again. Any more opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I went with 295s because they require minimal mods to your car (rolled rear fenders only) and can be had in a variety of brands for different uses (drag, road race, etc.) and because they are MUCH cheaper than 335s. Also , they have less aero drag, which most definitely will help your high speed acceleration. With a good 295 tire, you can get plenty traction, too. :cool:

If I ever change again, it will be for 315/35-17s rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts