Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well yes they do fit but do need a bit of toying around with them nothig that any one can't do

1 you have to make 2 spacer for the cam gear 16th thick will do good can most likely get washer that thick

2 now take the 4 blots of the tming plat cover behind the stock cam gears

3 set the cam gear to the 7m spec's there half tooth diff between the 2 and the 7m

and that is all

i know obx cam gears are cheep and built very well so go ebay shopping people

and i bet that most of all 2j cam gear will fit fine

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Can you edit that so its a bit clearer? I understood "OBX cam gears are cheap"

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
what he is saying is in oreder to use the cam gears from a 2jz is a 16th spacer on the back side. (the middle instruction with the plate i dont get) and then useing the fact teh gears are adjustable adjust them two teeth and your tdc or in time on the 7m

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,993 Posts
Its not that hard to read. Cut him some slack

1. You have to make two spacers for the cam gears ~16th of an inch thick will work good. You can probably find a washer that thick.

2.take the 4 bolts off the timing gear cover

3. Set the gears to stock 7m specs and your good.

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
But what are the stock 7M specs, mark them at TDC? Do we need to pull the back timing plate cover off? Im just trying to make sure its 100% clear so if I try it, I dont get it off... He's done it before, so he knows.

I didnt mean to be rude, I just didnt understand what he had said(and I had just woken up, dont be social when you first wake up, gets you in trouble)

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
How did you get around the centerhole size? The 7M stock gear hole is about a 1 mm smaller than the 2JZ one. For some weird reason Toyota made the 5/6M, 7M, 2JZ cam gears essentially indentical except for the center hole size.

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SilverMk2 said:
How did you get around the centerhole size? The 7M stock gear hole is about a 1 mm smaller than the 2JZ one. For some weird reason Toyota made the 5/6M, 7M, 2JZ cam gears essentially indentical except for the center hole size.

good call that was an easy fix plus the diff is not 1 mill

the size of the cam gear's center hole are the same size now the pin is tad bit smaller but where talking like 1000 th of an inch diff so you can 2 thing to slove this prob get new pin made up or do the simple fix and use metal tape that they use on heating ducks as shim

i sorry i forgot to add that in

and the 4 bolts i am talking about are the back tming plate cover and don't worry they will not rub on the cover that si whatt eh shims is for

·
Livin the Supra Lifestyle
2,023 Posts
OBX already makes em for the 7M:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
167 Posts
what is the real gain for doing this swap? anyone have any numbers to prove hp gain? just my questions

Adam

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
waynis said:
OBX already makes em for the 7M:confused: :confused:

no they do not make em yet only for the 2j there was mistake on ebay around x mass time and that is whe i go these for x mass and decide i might as well just make em work

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MKIIman said:
what is the real gain for doing this swap? anyone have any numbers to prove hp gain? just my questions

Adam

i herd you can get some good power from just littel avansment

i got them cause i ahve cusotm cam's and might bebale to get more power out fo them plus they look neat ehehehe

·
Registered
167 Posts
would it offer anything to me since i have stock cams.... if so i have some and would slap them a go to the dyno

Adam

·
Livin the Supra Lifestyle
2,023 Posts

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
the difference is that the JZ cam gears have "Zero Offset" and the 7M cam gears have "Positive Offset" or "FWD offset". meaning the hub is closer to the outer edge of the rim. the JZ cam gears look like they have more of a dish/lip on them.

and its only aboot 3-4mm.

in practice, they will work. in theory, its a bad idea. you have less belt in contact w/ the gears. the gears will be protruding closer to the front of the timing case. meaning,if the belt stays in the same place, which it will... there will be less belt contact on the back side of the cam gear. theres still going to be enough for it to work properly... its just like having a brake pad that is too big for a rotor and it overhangs the edge, like doing TT rear brakes on the MK3. probably wont HURT anything, it just doesnt fit like it was meant to.

also, quit complaining about Nash's typery. as long as the first and lsat ltters are in the smae plcae, you can sitll udnersantd him... so fcuk off :D lol

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the 2j cam gears fit just like stock all's you got to do it make a spacer and you are as good as gold

1 - 17 of 17 Posts