Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
always watching
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this question was posted in my t78 thread in the MKIV section but kinda slowed down when they found out I was asking in regards to a MKIII :bigthumb: . so I'll post the link here if you want to read the back ground info on it but here is the copied and pasted questions that came up. the turbo I am planning on using is a t78;

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371096&page=2

if I end up getting it (t78) I have a couple other questions. I was planning on getting some crower cams (should I go 264s 272s or 1 of each?), 1000cc inj, titan rail, custom ffim (which TB should I use? q45?) also what wastegates are you guys using with you t78's? should I get my head ported and polished? any suggestions would be great. trying to get the most out of the turbo, I'm in the middle of my build and need all the input I can get.

Ken andersons response:

It's difficult to answer these specific questions without knowing clearly what your goals are for the car and what type of power you're looking for. From my experience, I would select HKS cams over Crower because, without any additional changes (except minor AFR changes) the HKS' were proven to spool the turbo significantly quicker than the Crowers. Plus, because of an across-the-board HKS price cut as of May 1, 2006, HKS cams of any type can be had pretty cheaply.

As to cam size, once again, this depends on your goals for the car and how you intend to use it. If maximizing the power of this turbo is your goal, certainly head work and a built valvetrain should be on your "to do" list, as well as a well-developed fuel system, including the 1000 cc injectors you mentioned. The port and polish on your head, done correctly, will reduce spool as well as increase power, so you should take a serious look at this. The 1000 cc injectors can support more power than the 78 is capable of, but if you ever decide to go bigger, you won't have to change your injectors to do so.

GReddy makes the Type C Racing wastegate and the Type C H-F (high-flow)Racing wastegate. I used both for years. They are very good, very high quality and bolt right up to the GReddy manifold. These wastegates support right at 1000+ horsepower at the crank. The Type C is a 47 mm version and the Type C H-F is a 50 mm version, IIRC.

Certainly, a larger throttle body will help you meet your power goals and the Q45 is one of a number that can help you get there. This all starts, though, with a vehicle owner knowing clearly what he wants from his car and how intends to use the car in everyday situations. Good luck.

Ken.

my second set of questions

I want my car to be driveable, definately not a dyno queen. and I'm trying to eliminate as much of the all terrible "lag" lol, as possible. I didn't know HKS were getting cheaper thanx for the heads up. Thats why I was buying crower (they were cheaper). the whole thing with the 1000cc inj is right on, I'm just figuring if I ever want to go bigger I can. What mm is the q45? the greddy racegates sound great, I was just thinking about goin vband all the way back. but the issue with the greddy manifold is not because my manifold is being custom made along with my ffim, IC, piping, exhaust etc. thats why all the questions cuz I have a lot of options. i was just goin to leave the block stock and see about building the head. the motor is a jdm so the bottom end should be good. My plans are aem, wideband, etc. I am dropping this all in a MKIII not a MKIV sorry for posting it here I just figured you all would have a better idea of how to help me out. should I go dual whalbros? what type of FPR should I use? once again thanks for all the help to everybody.

any help would be great

·
Banned
280 Posts
well he ken asked the question and now I will ask the question...... What is you HP goals?
That is the first question most people should ask them selves.. and buy parts around that goal, not buy the parts and then guess what goal you want to get to. so let us know HP you are looking for..

·
always watching
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, I want to have a streetable 5-600 on pump gas. I am really tempted to get a gt40r or gt42r. cuz i can get such a good deal on them. I will be more then the t78 but i think it might be worth it. What do you think.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
1000cc injectors are overkill for a T78, and for 550-600 on pump you won't even need to go from the stock TB or intake manifold. HKS 272's and a T78 kit came with a Type R (smaller than the Type C and C H-F) and I've never once heard of an issue with the Type R on a T78.

But if you're looking to shy away from lag the T78 is definetly not your turbo. If you want a low lag 550-600whp I'd be looking in the 61-63mm range. You should be able to do 530+ on pump even with the smaller turbo. Why you'd be complaining about lag and then building a car with huge injectors and TB/Intake manifold with the idea of being able to 'go bigger' than a T78 is totally contradictory to me.

If I was doing a T78 2JZ, I'd basically use the Greddy kit as it came and run 720's on an HKS Rail with 272's and a VPC/SAFC combo with the appropriate VPC chip for a single turbo and cams. Twin Walbros and an AFPR would finish the fuel system.
An AEM can pick up 20-30hp on that setup, but the simplicity of the VPC/AFC tuning and the idea of driving it on the street a lot with pump gas would have me choosing the VPC.

Hope that helps.

·
always watching
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wreckless thanx it does help. the reason I'm goin with the custom ffim is cuz I have a buddy (who does fab work) who's hooking me up with it, turbo manny, dp, exhaust, etc. I just picked up a q45. and i'm trying to iron down the setup I want to use so i can start gathering parts. What is you opinion on the gt40r and 42r? the injector thing isn't iron clad I just figured put em in now and not worry about them later. 600+hp is edeal but I'm not goin to get too excited until I start getting everything together. what about the staggered cam setups some people are running? good...bad???? and head work, do I really need it???
I'm not really trying to get anywhere near 1khp. I would rather not but I like to do stuff right the first time and not have to come back.

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
Keep Ken's words in mind.

He has been there, done that, and invented the T shirt. He always has well thought out replies based on facts, rather then opinion.

#1 is goal
#2 is budget

Any 2J setup you can think of, has already been done. The easiest way to pick a setup without hurting your brain, is to find a setup that you like, and duplicate it. There is no need to re-invent the wheel here.

For a wide powerband, seek out those that have a 2j, power, AND road race. They will be most concerned about powerband. Given that Ken loves road racing, I'd talk to him some more. Andy B is another notable MK4 guy into road racing. Mani, and the list goes on.

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
well he ken asked the question and now I will ask the question...... What is you HP goals?
That is the first question most people should ask them selves.. and buy parts around that goal, not buy the parts and then guess what goal you want to get to. so let us know HP you are looking for..

exactly.

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
Wreckless said:
1000cc injectors are overkill for a T78, and for 550-600 on pump you won't even need to go from the stock TB or intake manifold. HKS 272's and a T78 kit came with a Type R (smaller than the Type C and C H-F) and I've never once heard of an issue with the Type R on a T78.

But if you're looking to shy away from lag the T78 is definetly not your turbo. If you want a low lag 550-600whp I'd be looking in the 61-63mm range. You should be able to do 530+ on pump even with the smaller turbo. Why you'd be complaining about lag and then building a car with huge injectors and TB/Intake manifold with the idea of being able to 'go bigger' than a T78 is totally contradictory to me.

If I was doing a T78 2JZ, I'd basically use the Greddy kit as it came and run 720's on an HKS Rail with 272's and a VPC/SAFC combo with the appropriate VPC chip for a single turbo and cams. Twin Walbros and an AFPR would finish the fuel system.
An AEM can pick up 20-30hp on that setup, but the simplicity of the VPC/AFC tuning and the idea of driving it on the street a lot with pump gas would have me choosing the VPC.

Hope that helps.

+1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts