Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what if anything is necessary to put a 5 speed on a 2jz that came with an automatic, do i need a new ecu or do i need to flash the ecu or will the one that comes with it be fine? any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
345 Posts
everything will work as normal, there's no such thing as re flashing the ecu to make such a conversion work.......you will however have to bypass the start neutralizer switch which is located on the auto trans just so the car would start

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
correct although i didn't do that on my 1J and it is running an auto ecu with manual trans....hmm

but you will need the 1JZ bellhousing and flywheel and all that good stuff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn i love supra forums, thanks guys for the quick response, soon i will be well on my way to owning a 2jz powered mk3. ill probly post pics and stuff on here maybe during the process but definitely when im done.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
everything will work as normal, there's no such thing as re flashing the ecu to make such a conversion work.......you will however have to bypass the start neutralizer switch which is located on the auto trans just so the car would start

Can someone elaborate on start neutralzer switch on the auto switch?

Sonny.

·
Registered
345 Posts
the start neutraliser switch is there for safety so the car cannot start in any gear only on park or neutral,there should only be two wires to cut and join and the sensor is located on the transmission ..........sorry but cannot remember the colors right now...................and if this set up is going into a mkiii chassis you dont need any custom driveshafts as the designated one for that transmission will work

·
Dagger OCHO
790 Posts
fkit im going 6-speed
the 6spd cost more than the engine does. and take a lot of custom fabrication. and you'll need to get a driveshaft made up. some people out there say the 6spd and the mk3 rear end gearing don't work very well. all you need is a 5spd. might be fairly affordable. a 1jz bellhousing. $300 from champion toyota. a 1jz flywheel. $280, depending on where you get it. and a good clutch kit. $600.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts