Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I’m kind of stuck in a predicament I can’t seem to find a direct answer on. So I’m in the market for a 1jz gte head for my 2jz ge block to create my 1.5 jz build. However I found a head for a good price the only problem is it doesn’t include cam caps. Now I’m aware that you can not buy cam caps separate and to even use other cam caps I would have to have a machine shop align hone them. But I can not seem to find 1jz cam caps ANYWHERE. I can find the 2jz caps everywhere however. Now I have a 2jz ge head that I’m not using. My question is would the 2jz ge cam caps work on the 1jz head if I get them align honed at a machine shop? Any input at all would help before I waste my money and get stuck with a useless head

·
Super Moderator
12,250 Posts
A head without it's original cam caps is basically worthless. Any machine shop that is actually capable of properly line honing a head for new cam caps will charge far more than a basic bitch 1JZ-GTE head is worth.

The whole purpose of a 1.5JZ is to get an easy 3.0L upgrade to an existing 1JZ-GTE setup. There's economy and sense there if you've already got nice stuff for a 1JZ-GTE and wanted the extra displacement. There's absolutely zero reason to plan for that route from square one - stick with a 2JZ-GE or 2JZ-GTE head if you're doing that.
The 2JZ head flows significantly better especially at higher HP levels. Now that there's countless options for 2JZ-GE intake manifolds, turbo manifolds, cams, and cam sensors - so if you're starting this build from scratch I'd strongly recommend just keeping the 2JZ head and buliding everything for that.

To answer your question directly, though, the #1 caps on the 2JZ head will be too big for the 1JZ head and 1JZ cams so even if you were willing to spend the money on a line hone, and the bolts somehow line up and index well, it'll never work.

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVTi 6062
796 Posts
Wreckless is right. I took the 2JZ GE-T route on his advice and it's awesome. Ebay has front intake manifolds for the GE, I got the DeepMotor brand but I'm pretty sure they're all made by the same chinaman. It actually fits the mk3 nicely. Doesn't run into the brake booster or anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts