Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i have a question... can the 2jz BLOCK be destroyed by too much power on boost alone?? i know this sounds dumb, but serious question.... from what it looks, the 2jz block can handle upwards of 1400-1600hp at the max, which is about the maximum boost it seems that can possibly be put through the motor. any more power would need be assisted with nitrous i would think, seeing that there is only SO much air and pressure a turbo/s can push into the motor. but this isnt enough it seems to blow the block. i dont mean breaking by somehting like a dropped valve, leaning out, etc, i mean PURE hp destroying the block. the 302 ford motor will destroy themselves under POWER alone (not quality of buildup, etc) at like 550hp due to block design and a weak valley structure that causes them to split in half.

it would seem that the 2jz is indestructable in the sense that it just physically cant create enough flow to max out the potential of the block on boost alone, would that be a fair statement to make???

please read the whole thing as i have some rational argument to what seems like a blatently stupid question

·
Super Moderator
10,641 Posts
Theres way too many variables in the possible fuels, turbos, headwork, rotating assembly, etc to make a sweeping statement like that. Certainly there's a threshold where getting more HP takes more expensive and extravagant measures to achieve on any motor. On the 2JZ, its only real limitation is displacement and how that affects the turbo sizes it can realistically run - But that being said, there's plenty of ways to make stupid huge power on boost alone, but with a window'd nitrous system or higher race-gas only compression ratios, etc, you can get a hell of a lot more out of it.
But I think that the power threshold for the block itself could be made on boost alone, but there's a lot of contention as to exactly what that threshold is.

This question would recieve a much more informed response in the MK4 tech section.

·
Banned
34 Posts
the 2jzgte is a very stout engine. i know the block is one of the best. its the head flow that really chockes it down. with the right internals and tuning/fuel it could live for a while until the bearings start breaking down from all the load. i know the fully built 2jz's last for a while before the bearings need to be switched out. im sure most of the 2jz's failures were from bearings

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
from my research during my build it won't last at those power levels without at least a partially filled block and even then will require the occasional teardown for new rings/bearings.

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
from my research during my build it won't last at those power levels without at least a partially filled block and even then will require the occasional teardown for new rings/bearings.
Partically filled block? You mean after market rods and pistons?

1,000hp is insane on a stock block, but if you have the kind of money required to make that power, why would you do it on stock internals? There could be some performance gains by going with some lighter, but stronger rods and pistons, a polished or knife-edged crank, and a complete balancing of the rotating assembling.

It's not that you can't, but why would you? A candle that burns at both ends burns twice as bright, but lasts half as long.

·
Bad RSP supra
1,089 Posts
filled like as in coolant jackets filled with well basically concrete. throw a couple gt47-88s on the 2j and i bet it goes boom!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

1,000hp is insane on a stock block, but if you have the kind of money required to make that power, why would you do it on stock internals? There could be some performance gains by going with some lighter, but stronger rods and pistons, a polished or knife-edged crank, and a complete balancing of the rotating assembling.

It's not that you can't, but why would you? A candle that burns at both ends burns twice as bright, but lasts half as long.
a filled block means they in essense put a concrete epoxy (...?? something like that..) inside the water channels to strengthen the block (distributes load from cylinder walls to the outer portion of block). these motors are FULLY built that i am talking about. the fact that they have been filled is news to me though if that is the case...

bearings breaking down though wouldnt quite qualify it for block failure for what i am talking about.... filling the block out of necessity would though.... kinda. not sure because i hadnt really considered that as one of the options.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

No nothing like that at all.

There would be no point in filling a block that was stock internals... What Larrabee and reaper were saying is right.. You fill a block that is already forged internals.

For filling a block you use this, or something similar.

http://www.hardblok.com/info.html

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Really? Hmm, learn something new everyday. Obviously there's got to be a trade off with cooling, if the passages are filled with the epoxy.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Really? Hmm, learn something new everyday. Obviously there's got to be a trade off with cooling, if the passages are filled with the epoxy.
Yeah thats a big downside of it. Depending on how much you fill, you can still street drive it somewhat, but it does effect the cooling. I know I've talked to some people with partially filled blocks who can drive on the highway just fine, but around town sitting at stop lights or in traffic things get a little on the hot side.

I don't think a completely filled block could be street driven at all.

·
Registered
491 Posts
how much power does the titan solara make?

i imagine a built 2j, with reinforced/filled block + running alcohol would max out around 2,000hp...

we need some of the experienced 2JZ builders and teams to chime in on a topic like this

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
The limiting factor will be the cylinder head. A head will only flow so much, and it's going to lift if you give it enough boost.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, so my question isn't on drivability.... its really JUST about how strong the block is. so it looks like there is block failure (??) above ~1200hp... or at least in that range. and a filled block can take 2000hp... sounds good :D

·
Fast Enough, Never Is.
920 Posts
I read some where that a white supra was running 59psi with internals I'm not sure exactly what internals pushing out 1500hp. I think it was on streetfire.net?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts