Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I recently did a job where I replaced my crank pulley bolt got it off with the starter method and put the new pulley on with the specialized tool. Then torqued it down with an impact holding it for about 3 seconds. Yes i held it down until it stopped spinning the bolt. Anyway, my question is i know I most definitely over-torqued the bolt and I'm planning to get it down to proper torque but do you guys think i stress cracked the crank or anything knowing these motors. I don't wanna take it back out if there's a chance I did.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,491 Posts
No, I highly doubt you caused any damage at all. Crank probably didn’t even feel it.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,491 Posts
Once again you did not damage anything by holding impact on it for 3 seconds.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Those ratings for impact guns are basically bullshit. Try taking off a crank bolt that's torqued to 239 ft/lb with an impact gun rated at 650 ft/lb. A lot of the time, it won't touch it.

But I gotta ask - if you have the specialized tool, why didn't you use a torque wrench? Autozone has a 250 ft/lb wrench in their loaner tool program.

Al

·
Registered
289 Posts
Remove and inspect crank and bolt, anything is possible, but a thorough inspection is in order id say.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those ratings for impact guns are basically bullshit. Try taking off a crank bolt that's torqued to 239 ft/lb with an impact gun rated at 650 ft/lb. A lot of the time, it won't touch it.

But I gotta ask - if you have the specialized tool, why didn't you use a torque wrench? Autozone has a 250 ft/lb wrench in their loaner tool program.

Al
because im cheap and wanted to drive my car i know i know purley laziness an oversight even its just so damn convinent with the impact.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hit it with the torque wrench, see if there is more in it. If there isn't, worry about taking it off in the future. It's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
101 Posts
because im cheap and wanted to drive my car i know i know purley laziness an oversight even its just so damn convinent with the impact.
FYI, it doesn’t cost anything to rent the torque wrench from auto one if you bring it back after. You just pay a deposit and get a full refund when you return it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FYI, it doesn’t cost anything to rent the torque wrench from auto one if you bring it back after. You just pay a deposit and get a full refund when you return it.
i ended up ordering one for 60 bucks off amazon 1500 reviews and 1 percent was 1 star 88 5 star so its 25-250 foot-pounds what do you suggest with getting a torque wrench on the crank pulley bolt without removing anything? and if i do what because the first time I needed to drain my coolant and remove my radiator./..

·
Registered
785 Posts
Buy an FSM while you're at it.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,806 Posts
what do you suggest with getting a torque wrench on the crank pulley bolt without removing anything? and if i do what because the first time I needed to drain my coolant and remove my radiator./..
No need to remove radiator if you're using a torque wrench. You might need to remove the fan blade (4 nuts), plastic engine undercover, and lower C-shaped fan shroud just to get enough room for the wrench and whatever you use to hold the pulley still.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i ended up ordering one for 60 bucks off amazon 1500 reviews and 1 percent was 1 star 88 5 star so its 25-250 foot-pounds what do you suggest with getting a torque wrench on the crank pulley bolt without removing anything? and if i do what because the first time I needed to drain my coolant and remove my radiator./..
Yeah, what bitshftr said. Should be able to do it without removing the radiator again but the fan and shroud will definitely have to come off to get the wrench in there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys I got my torque wrench and pulley holder and got it to click at 240ft pounds it didn't budge at all just clicked so its probably over-torqued what should I do for now should i leave it or take it out and inspect the crank and then crank torque to proper spec? Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts