Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Got my clutch/fan assembly, and took the old setup out. It'll fit, and I don't need to touch my FMIC piping thankfully, but one question for those of you who did the swap over. How did you get it all onto the pulley? I put the clutch on first, then i realized, how is the fan gonna get on there :stickpoke :wtflol: Then after putting it all on, there's that small "knob" on the WP that is preventing it. What did you guys do? I'm thinking worse comes to worse, I drain and pull the radiator. Thanks for the suggestions!

-J

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
...'kay, as long as you're using the 2JZ pulley, you'll be fine. I just re-installed mine recently and had to loosen the belt, to keep the pulley from wobbling (allowing me to put on a couple of bolts-hand tight). Then, I used a flathead screwdriver, wedged between 2 of those bolts, while using a ratcheting wrench to tighten. Did that to all 4 bolts and put the belt back on the pulley and all's good. I installed it all as 1 unit... fan/clutch (but I do not have any shroud or anything else in the way.

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put it in, decided why make life hard on myself? I just pulled the radiator. Straight shot after that, put it back in and it fits perfect. NO fmic piping modification, although on stock twins, they would have to be changed. Sits real close to the radiator. Now I just gotta pick up some kind of shroud and i'll be good to go. I like this already.

-J

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
jbsupra89t said:
Put it in, decided why make life hard on myself? I just pulled the radiator. Straight shot after that, put it back in and it fits perfect. NO fmic piping modification, although on stock twins, they would have to be changed. Sits real close to the radiator. Now I just gotta pick up some kind of shroud and i'll be good to go. I like this already.

-J
Do you have a set of hardpipes for the FMIC? How close does the fan come, or are U using the snorkel or other hole to route thru?? I am using some 2.5" aluminum piping and had to do my routing thru the front hole, 'cause it would interfere with the fan. R U Single!?!? Send me a pic!!

BTW: Did you get this fan setup from that guys I told ya about?

E

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will get pics later, they are hardpipes. The driver's side one off the IM isn't even close, that's not an issue. The other one is off the single, down and under the radiator assembly.

Elvis, nah I didn't get the stuff from the guy you told me about, I had a different guy I went to. :) Yes I'm single I'll get you a pic later!

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
On a similar note, will the MK4 rad fit in a mk3?, sorry for the highjack.

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry no clue on the radiator, perhaps someone else can chime in. Took the car out for a test spin today, didn't intend on boosting too hard, but my friend took his car out too so we went for a small few runs. The fan is awesome. With NO shroud (i'm still evaluating my options), the temps are VERY good. At idle before getting gas, the temp was around 140 just sitting with the car running. Had about 5 runs before one after another of 3rd gear pulls to redline, gauge was pegged at 175. Then I hit traffic, dropped to about 160, and then with low speed rolling, dropped a few degrees. I love this fan and would say it's a great alternative to the hydro, ***BUT*** I do not have first hand experience with the hydro, so I am unqualified to comment. I hope this helps.

Cliff notes: Fan works great, temps are lower than ever, Single Turbo shouldn't have to modify piping *UNLESS* it passes over the valve cover, install was cake.

-J

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
jbsupra89t said:
65 bucks from a board member, and I'm using a Koyo radiator.
Oh hell yeah!!! I was wondering what our aftermarket radiator choice would/could be. Someone local has a Fluidyne they were going to let me test fit, but I just hadn't gotten around to it. We need pics for sure!!

Glad it's working out for you. I'm pretty happy with the fan/clutch setup and am going to make a shroud, when I put another radiator in there. Mine has a slight leak...

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
ya, gotta find a shroud for that. Maybe the 2j radiator will fit in, someone needs to try it. Damn, anyone have a mkiv radiator laying around??? we should take measurements.

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My estimates are that the 2jz shroud will NOT work. Because as it stands, looking at my friend's car the other night, the 2j fan still has more room between the rad. and fan. Or maybe it's just an illusion, either way, I'll get some pics up soon.

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
one question about the 2j fan..

Are you using a TT fan w/ n/a pulley???

N/a Fan with n/a pulley??

TT Fan and tt pulley???

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I have a guy that I was going to buy the fan from, who still has it (for ~$50)... does anyone want a 2JZ-GTE fan/clutch? This is a good price... PM me with your info and I'll forward to him and get ya'll hooked up. It's the way to go...

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
one question about the 2j fan..

Are you using a TT fan w/ n/a pulley???

N/a Fan with n/a pulley??

TT Fan and tt pulley???

Anyone?????????????

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
To you guys who are using the 2JZ water pump, want to sell me your hydro pump solenoid/sensors?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Dunno about the pulley itself... I used one from a TT and a TT fan/clutch. An MKIV N/A fan/clutch WILL NOT fit.... Comes too close to the engine and hits the belts, etc. I do believe that the clutch is the same tho.... The N/A fan just sits closer to the engine and the TT fan is set "off center" and gives adequate clearance.

You can get the clutch from any auto parts (~$55), but they charge for a core also. The fan is a 2JZ-GTE specific one that I could not find elsewhere.... ~$92 from Toyota (Curt or Jeff).

Again, $50 for one ain't bad... especially since you can replace all that hydro-pump stuff for about $100.... including the 2JZ waterpump (~$45 from any auto parts).

Used 2JZ-GTE fan/clutch... $50
Rebuilt 2JZ waterpump...$45
TT belt pulley....$10

Not having to worry about another leaky component, point-of-failure, waterpump ECU, reservoir, and focus on the other real headaches of the swap.... priceless!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts