Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. I have the 2JZ-GE vvt-i engine. I want to set up the turbocharger on this engine. Interesting in boosting about 8 PSI for town ride. I guess it will be enough. Did anyone have the experience? Can I boost the engine for 8 PSI on stock parts and gear?
I need only 300-350 hp

My specs for turbo:
  • Turbocharger GT30
  • Boost controller Greddy
  • Apexi SAFC II
  • Manifold for turbocharger
  • Intercooler 62 mm

·
From the land down under
3,877 Posts
Hi kasymov.

You can give it a go, but be aware that the rods in the vvti GE engines are NOT the same as the non vvti GE rods, and are known to bend a lot easier. Many a vvti GE motor has died when under pressure.

It would live ok around 300hp if tuned well, and run on good fuel. What ECU are you planning on using?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mr. Ree Nz,

Yeah, I'm planning to get about 300-330 hp, for me it will be enough. And yes, I also will run on good fuel and oil too.
I'm planning to use the Apexi SAFC II to set the injectors, MAF and fuel pump

·
Registered
698 Posts
the GE electronics in your car play awful with piggy backs and boost. a lot of info over on the lexus forums, many sc300's have used piggy back with turbo and it really is not a safe option with vvti rods and ge compression

you can use your existing wiring harness and modify it to run the 2jzgte ecu.

i thought there was a thread on here as well, but I can't find it atm

·
Registered
1993 Supra NA-T
40 Posts
I'm not going to be the guy to tell you that there's a search function, but there is one 😉. Google will be your best friend by FAR on this topic. I'm not sure how much experience you have wrenching on your own stuff, or what you think you're getting yourself in to, but it's quite a lot. Before my NA-T build started, the farthest I had gone on a vehicle was doing a clutch. I'm ALMOST at the point where I have my car where I want it, but it's a lot of blood, sweat, and money. Budget at least twice what you think you're going to spend (I should have. Budgeted 3k in the beginning... i've well over tripled that.), and understand that there will be a LOT more time involved than one Saturdays work. When you dig into these 20+ year old cars, there is a lot of maintenance you need to do when you do so. You have a good start going already, but let me give you a list of some other things you will need beforehand as well. Since you have a Lexus, I assume it's an auto - that saves you about $600 for a decent clutch. So here we go -

Wastegate (I went with a Precision PW39. My car will be running closer to 20PSI on a 6266, so a smaller gate is fine. I would recommend you look into a Tial MVR 44mm.)

NA motors have a huge timing spike up high in the 5k rpm range. You NEED a standalone ECU with timing adjustment so to avoid detonation. I went with an ECUMaster Classic. Affordable and was able to do everything I needed. Your Apexi SAFC won't cut the cheese on this build, i'm afraid.

Injectors. I originally started with 550cc injectors out of an FC RX-7 Turbo 2. They're a direct Plug'n play and will support good power. I can get you a PN if you want. They're very affordable (even new)

Oil feed and return lines for your turbo. This is an easy to-do for the turbo kit, but budget at least $100 if you make the lines yourself. Budget at least $250 for a pre-built kit.

Walbro 255 fuel pump should be fine for your build. Way more fuel than you'll need. Not sure what the Lexus cars have in regards to an OE pump.

You'll most certainly want a blow-off valve. I went with the Tial Q.. I don't like the chirpy noises the other ones make.

For spark plugs I went with NGK BKR7EIX. Good plugs for any NA-T build.

You'll need intercooler piping to plumb your turbo to the throttle body. I'd recommend that you build it yourself. It's hard to find pre-fabbed intercooler piping since every kit is the same.

If all you have is a turbo manifold - you need some more components on that end. Get a wastegate dump, a downpipe, and an intake on the turbo to run a filter (unless you can run a filter right off the cold side. NA Supras don't have enough clearance.)

All that alone should run you about an additional $2500 on top of what you have invested already. This assumes you have the parts you listed above already.

This is an expensive hobby, and that's just what you'll NEED for the turbo kit. You'll dig in and want more... We always do. There's a lot of general maintenance and swaps you can do while in there as well. I switched to an GTE style FFIM intake, as well as GTE valve covers. I had a LOT of head work done and an entirely aftermarket valve-train. With what you're going for, what I listed above should be enough.. Then just do whatever maintenance you can while you're in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts