Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
6 speed
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
realistically, how long should a 2JZ-GTE last? i've been hearing alot of people having low compression numbers and such even with just BPU. these are people that change the oil with synthetic regularly and pretty much a well maintained car. then there are people with singles that are tuned by a reputable tuner with proper fuel/aem, maintained well, and still end up with low compression numbers. makes me wonder how long a 1000 horsepower supra would last even with just the occasional 1000 hp pull... what are your opinions? tips on making the engine last longer?

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
Suprasarecool said:
realistically, how long should a 2JZ-GTE last? i've been hearing alot of people having low compression numbers and such even with just BPU. these are people that change the oil with synthetic regularly and pretty much a well maintained car. then there are people with singles that are tuned by a reputable tuner with proper fuel/aem, maintained well, and still end up with low compression numbers. makes me wonder how long a 1000 horsepower supra would last even with just the occasional 1000 hp pull... what are your opinions? tips on making the engine last longer?

Dont drive it! LoL i say keep her at basic APU and under 700hp and your'll be fine. Just keep up with regular upkeep. just my 2 cents.

·
6 speed
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i didn't mean breaking it because we all know the 2JZ can make insane power on the stock engine. i just don't understand why so many well maintained supras i know that are tuned well all eventually end up with low compression numbers..

S

·
0 Posts
It just happens. A motor can be strong and make lots of power in stock or close to stock form and still get worn out. It happens.

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
Suprasarecool said:
i didn't mean breaking it because we all know the 2JZ can make insane power on the stock engine. i just don't understand why so many well maintained supras i know that are tuned well all eventually end up with low compression numbers..
Not all. I suspect there aren't that many problems, besides, if everyone posted everytime they didn't have a problem, it would be insane!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Well, I've been running a T78 @25 psi for the last 3.5 years. All I've replaced is the clutch master cylinder and the door speakers :)

Use a good fuel...a high octane leaded fuel. Meth/alcohol/water inj can get complicated when it comes to timing and AFR. Stick with the basics...the correct injector size and the right octane.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
cuemaster said:
i havent been able to break it.
Great answer.

Depends on if you beat the piss out of it.....and are you BPU or APU....it could go in no time or last a lifetime.

·
Registered
615 Posts
How long an engine will last depends on how well was the car was cared for before being purchased by the person who now takes very good care of it.

·
a supra..fast..hahaha
266 Posts
i just refreshed my engine.. went from N/A to TT motor with a single.. adn i love it and the shop said if i take care of it and keep it well maintained it should last a loooong time

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have a 1JZ and we all know they are very similar, but on stock bottom end my dad has been driving this motor as his daily driver. It has 143,347 miles on it and beats the shit out of it all the time. Of course regular maitenance for example oil changes, oil filter, and keeping it clean with good fluids all around with good fuel. And by the way, he boosts 17 psi all day everyday and compression has only dropped off like 2psi. I say the 1JZ and 2JZ are very robust motors, but you still need to treat it nice like any other motor.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I will say this, turbos don't last as long as engines, especially if the boost has been increased and/or oil changes aren't occuring at least every 2,000 miles.

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
I have rarely seen motors go unexpectedly or unknowingly. It's always because someone did a high boost pull on pump gas or tried pushing too much power through the engine. You gotta figure, the newest supra to be imported into the U.S. is 8 years old. People don't start modding these cars until beyond 60,000 miles. When you make an engine twice as powerfull as it was stock after that many miles, you're definetely going to break something sooner or later.

I personally have been single (T67) for 2 years now, and the car has been BPU for 3 years before that. I'm at 60,000 miles now and compression is still 180psi in all 6 cylinders.

Everyone is right -- you're going to read more about the bad than the good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts