Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thought you might be interested in the pics I took last weekend while shoehorning a 2JZ-GTE into my 84 MA61. Point your browsers here:
http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ

Everything seems to fit OK, although I'm not sure if the bonnet will close when the engine is in its final position. I'm hoping to have engine mounts fabricated next weekend, so I should know by then. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Dude, you are my hero.

Questions:

1: Did you have to relocate the oil pan?

2: Does the tranny bolt up?

3: how much wiring do you have to replace?

4: where and how much for the 2jl-gte?

5: Are you replaceing the driveline and rear end?

6: You are coming over to my place next.....right?

G

·
0 Posts
Norbie said:

I'm hoping to have engine mounts fabricated next weekend, so I should know by then. :)
It looks in the pics like they are a little short. Would it be possible to cut the mounts off the 5m and weld them onto the 2JL? Or are you going to make an extender that bolts up to the frame and engine?

My friend custom welded some engine mounts in his truck (from the frame), and they held a 750 HP Chevy engine just fine.

Okay, I'm almost to the point of babbling. I want to do the same thing to my car (after i get a daily driver to replace it), so I am VERY interested in your work.

Also, if you don't mind disclosing pricing figures I'd love you for it.

B

·
0 Posts
Ok I got a hardon just seeing the 2JZ in the mk2 - your car is going to be SCARY fast! Time to buy some custom coilovers and fat tires. I am sure the MKIV guys in your area are pissin their pants.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wade said:
Looks nice man. :) How did you get the motor mounts to work? And how are ya gonna figure out the wiring mess?
Mounts are a bit of a dilemma.... looks like I may have to use the cast alloy mounts that came with the engine, and modify the crossmember to suit.

You don't even wanna know about the wiring! One of my buddies is an auto electrician, so it's his problem. :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
grankor said:
1: Did you have to relocate the oil pan?
Nope. The Aristo oil pan is in the correct position, which is the reason I bought it. I was originally going to buy a 1JZ-GTE from a Soarer, but its oil pan was in the wrong position.
2: Does the tranny bolt up?
In those pics on my web site, the transmission crossmember is bolted up to the floorpan on one side. It's about 2-3mm too wide to bolt up on the other side, but it's made of cast alloy so it will be easy enough to extend the bolt holes with a small file. The only drama will be the tailshaft - the trans has a weird rubber donut thing sticking out the end, instead of a spline like the original trans.
3: how much wiring do you have to replace?
The entire 5M-E harness came out. I was surprised to find the whole lot came out as a single piece, and there's hardly any wiring left in the engine bay! The Aristo harness has already been stripped down to the essentials (ie engine, trans and cruise control related wiring). The engine bay side of the harness is a single neat bundle of wires, so that's easy enough to take care of. The stuff under the dash is another matter, especially since I'm hooking up the Aristo instrument panel!
4: where and how much for the 2jl-gte?
In your area? I have no idea, I'm from Australia! :) I paid AUD$2900 for my front cut. It came with all sorts of goodies, including a pair of monster brakes with twin-spot calipers.
5: Are you replaceing the driveline and rear end?
The front section of the tailshaft will have to be replaced (see above), but apart from that, no.
6: You are coming over to my place next.....right?
Sure, as long as you're paying for the return ticket to the US. :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: 2JZ-GTE engine swap pics

grankor said:
It looks in the pics like they are a little short. Would it be possible to cut the mounts off the 5m and weld them onto the 2JL? Or are you going to make an extender that bolts up to the frame and engine?
The 5M mounts don't even come close to bolting up to the 2JZ block... only the inlet-side 7M mounts come close. The 5M mounts are longer but they still won't be long enough. I'm going to pull the engine out today, put the Aristo mounts back on, and position the engine again to see how that lines up. I'll report the results when I'm done.
Also, if you don't mind disclosing pricing figures I'd love you for it.
Costs so far:
- Front cut: $2900
- JZA80 intercoolers: 2 x $250
- labour: free (lots of car nut friends)

Projected costs:
- intercooler mods: $300 (custom end tanks)
- custom 3" exhaust system and stainless inlet plumbing: $1200
- tailshaft: $200
- dash modifications: no idea?

I'm sure there will be lots of other minor expenses, but I think that covers the major stuff.

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks a lot! I'm going to attempt this next year. I'll probably get my gear from an mk4, and use the shop manual from there.
Or I may stick with the 7m-gte. The 2JL was something I was interested in, but not too sure if its something I wanted to attempt. :eek:

Have fun man! You'll ahve to post your race times!

Do they have quater miles in Australia? I thought you guys used the metric system, so what comes close?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
grankor said:
Do they have quater miles in Australia? I thought you guys used the metric system, so what comes close?
We do use the metric system, and manufacturers quote 0-400m times for their new cars (that's pretty close to a 1/4 mile). However, drag strips still measure the standing quarter mile, and probably always will!

And yes, I will take my car down the 1/4 mile as soon as it's running and sorted. I'll post the results here. Don't hold your breath though, the way things are going it will be a while before the car is actually drivable!

B

·
0 Posts
Hey Norbie - have you done any preliminary weight distribution calculations? I'm just guessing but won't the 2JZ really affect the handling of the MK2?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BlueMK2 said:
Hey Norbie - have you done any preliminary weight distribution calculations? I'm just guessing but won't the 2JZ really affect the handling of the MK2?
I haven't taken any weight measurements yet so I can't comment on weight distribution. However, the 2JZ isn't much longer than the original engine, and the 5M was a heavy lump to begin with, so I can't imagine it will have a huge effect. I'll make some calculations after I have some figures to work with, and I'll report the results here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts