Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Toyotally Awesome
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping that some of you guys on this forum might be able to help me plan for costs and the things I am going to have to swap out if I were to put the 2jz-gte in my '68 Camaro. I don't know as much as I would like to know, and I figured if any group of people knew about this motor, than this board would! If you have any thing to say reguarding this, please feel free to. I want to learn as much as I possibly can about this kind of thing.

Thanks,
Cory B.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Camaro is a totally different platform than the Supra. The first thing you would need to do is see if it is even physically possible to fit one in. I think you would be okay width wise but it may be too tall or long. You would also need to check if the transmission tunnel since the 2jz-gte will not bolt to any Chevy transmission.

Once you decided it would be possible to fit then you would need figure out a way to mount it. I doubt the motor mounts for the two are any where close to each other. The transmission mount would have to be fabbed as well. After that you would have to worry about all the electronics, cooling system, and turbo/ic routing. In other words a major pain in the ass.

Anything is possible with enough money but man I would rethink this route if I were you. I think it would be a nightmare the whole way. If you have to have a turbo 6 cylinder in the Camaro get a Grand National motor. It would be a much easier swap. I am actually thinking of putting one in one of my Vettes

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Heh,Heh...

All you guys probably find this hard to believe but back around the 1950's GM had an Inline 6 cylinder called the "Blue Flame" Which was offered in the early Corvettes, Camaros, Firebirds, etc... After the war GM sold this block design to Japan, Toyota developed the Land Cruiser using this same block design. If you look at the 2JZ block, and compare with the "Blue Flame", they are almost identical. Come to think of it, isn't PowerHouse using a GM Transmission.... There got to be more info to this story if anyone wants to add.

Saiyonara;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
The early Corvettes, 1953 to 1955, did have a 150Hp Blue Flame I6 but they went to V8s only in 1956. The first gen Camaro/Firebirds, 12 years later, had an I6 as the base engine. I never thought about it but I guess it probably is a descendant of the Blue Flame.

If the 2JZ is that similar to the Blue Flame it just might bolt into the first gen Camaros. That would be kind of cool. My friends small block 69 Camaro weighs a little over 3000lbs. An I6 would get it under 3000lbs. Just w/ BPU power that would make a fast car.

You would still have problems with the transmission though. PHR does sell a conversion kit to mount the Supra engine to a Chevy tranny. It is only $9300 just for the kit :eek: .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts