Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this conversion, or know of anyone who has successfully completed it? I'm interested to hear any stories, as I'm in the process of performing this very conversion.

I have a 2JZ-GTE and automatic transmission from a Toyota Aristo (aka Lexus GS300) and I'm currently working on the wiring harness to strip the unnecessary parts out (ie lots!) and still leave enough behind so the engine, cruise control and instrument panel still works. Believe me that isn't as easy as it sounds! :)

At this point I'd really like to find wiring information/diagrams on this car. The Mk4 Supra is significantly different to the Aristo, and the US-spec 2JZ-GTE is different to the Jap-spec equivalent (eg Jap-spec has MAP sensor, US-spec has AFM) so I can't use the usual resources on mkiv.com et al. If anyone has any information at all I'd be most grateful.

S

·
0 Posts
Some people might be intereste4d if you cracked out that digital camera of yours...

B

·
0 Posts
Wow norbie you re my new best friend! Please for the love of God document everything you do when adapting the motor to your MA60. I am planning on doing a 2jz conversion also and buy a clip from australia.

I saw the pics on your site. Do you have a plan for the install yet or are you taking it as it comes?

Thanks!

bluemk2

ps - we even have the same color MK2 :cool:

S

·
0 Posts
Hey, that's my 7M block in the background!

And my oil all over your garage and driveway!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BlueMk2: why on earth would you want to buy a 2JZ from Australia? All of the 2JZ's here come as second-hand imports from Japan! The 2JZ was sold locally in the US, so surely it would be cheaper to buy a local engine? Failing that, you're better off getting one direct from Japan - I'm sure there are importers in your country that can get this sort of thing for you.

Don't worry I will document the procedure from beginning to end. I already have plenty of photos and there are many more to come. The plan at the moment is to get the wiring sorted out, then worry about physically mounting the engine. Next weekend I'll to attempt to start the engine with the heavily stripped-down wiring harness, and if that works OK I'll move on the the next step (ie engine mounts).

Note to anyone considering this conversion - do not even attempt it without buying a complete front cut! The factory electronics will not work properly without key elements - for example, if the instrument panel is missing the automatic transmission refuses to work! Strange but true.

B

·
0 Posts
Norbie - I found a distributor in Australia that was selling front 2jz clips for very cheap - at least much cheaper than I have found elsewhere. I guess I will reconsider all my options when the time come to pick the stuff up though.

Any particular reason you chose the auto tranny? Would there be a potential shifter placement problem with the 6-speed?

again - goood luck!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Front cuts are certainly cheap in Australia, but I just don't see the logic in buying a Japanese car and having it shipped to the US via Australia! Keep in mind that shipping is the major expense here - the car itself generally costs next to nothing (or is sometimes free) when bought in Japan.

As for the transmission, the front cut cost me $2900 with auto trans. A 6-speed would cost me approximately $5k on top of that, just for the transmission! I'd love a 6-speed, but I can't justify spending that sort of money at this point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What about swapping in a 1JZ? It'd probably be easier to source...but it looks like you already have the engine.

Good luck!

·
664 rwhp / 590 rwtqe
1,868 Posts
Wow, that's going to be one killer setup! I'll be checking back here to view your progress. That wiring harness looks like it's going to be fun :rolleyes: .

H

·
0 Posts
I HAVE THE DIAGRAMS YOU NEED TO WIRE UP THAT ENGINE REPLY BACK IF YOUR INTERESTED I HAVE DONE A SIMILAR SWAP BEFORE INTO A 82 CELICA COUPE

MIKE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts