Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
looking for another Supra
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
when motor first came in as an aristo.

swapped to tt fuel pump assembly

6 spd tensioner swap. had to do some custom stuff for this to fit. wouldnt bolt up for some reason.

aristo to us tt water pump

swapped to us oil pan

little polishing here and there

basically what i did during this swap was:

-polish valve covers
-polish intake manifold
-polish all turbo piping
-new gaskets everywhere
-new timing belt
-new fan belt
-new water pump and new water pump pulley
-new trd motor mounts
-converted to us turbos
-converted to new us 6 spd harness
-us ecu
-hks intake
-rmm downpipe
-4 in exhaust
-rps 6 puck clutch
-stock resurfaced flywheel (got rid of my UR alum flywheel)
-tt fuel pump
-us tt injectors
-us igniter
-us efi resistor pack
-us oil pan
-new 6 spd tensioner pully
-greddy boost controller
-HKS FCD

I will be running in TTC mode. this makes it much easier to hook up and you lose so many sensors and vac lines.

almost done. have many more pics to post soon waiting for injectors

·
Registered
1993.5 Blk/Blk Hardtop 6spd
474 Posts
Urban Customs said:
6 spd tensioner swap. had to do some custom stuff for this to fit. wouldnt bolt up for some reason.

is that a mini shock absorber for the tensioner? would you have the part# for it?

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
what were all the part numbers for that 6spd tensioner bracket? i have the auto on there now...i heard its not neccesary but id like to make it "safe" as they say.... *shrugs*

But very nice setup! looking great man, if you have any questions u know my SN, just hit me up whenever you need it, looks like everythings going smoothly though man! Best of luck cant wait to see her on the road!

Ben Y

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
awesome article that i'd say should be a sticky on the NA section! im going through the same swap. did you still need the 6spd tensioner swap even if i was a 5spd? i also wonder if the TT fuel pump will fit the NA fuel pump hanger?

·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kevganzon said:
awesome article that i'd say should be a sticky on the NA section! im going through the same swap. did you still need the 6spd tensioner swap even if i was a 5spd? i also wonder if the TT fuel pump will fit the NA fuel pump hanger?

i did the 6spd tensioner with 5 speed. tt fuel pump will not fit na hanger

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
do you know if the Aristo tensioner will still work without upgrading to a 6spd tensioner?

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
Looks like your not cutting any corners. You body work has sure deserved this motor.

·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kevganzon said:
do you know if the Aristo tensioner will still work without upgrading to a 6spd tensioner?

yes. its only optional. but you know this tensioner is the only thing giving me trouble. it will not bolt up to the block. i have fabricated a new bracket and it still hits the fan belt because i have no ac compressor. it is really becoming a pain and i might not even use it.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
There is a pretty big size diffrence in those tensioners. I am willing to bet the US TT tensioner would work fine if you had AC.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Do you have a rough estimate as to how much the additional/replacement parts/accesories add to the cost of the JDM motor in order to be U.S. Spec?

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
why dont you want the ac compressor? i found that most people who do the JDM TT swaps end up with no A/C. are the JDM A/C compressors not compatible with the USDM cars?

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
I kept the PS and AC in my car when I pulled the motor... no refilling or recharging that way.

cost.... I'm sure others will add:

used ignitor $175
used injectors $200
used resistor pack $150
used usdm cams $150
new seals/gaskets $220/$400 (am/oem)
used oil pan $250 (you can keep your GE pan and save that money)
new(ish) waterpump $150
new timing belt/tensioner arm $110
new 6 speed idler (if you do it) $250
used/aftermarket flywheel $150
new clutch $400
USED TT (at or mt) harness $450
6 speed diff $1100
axles $400
driveshaft $400
mount/shifter/misc $275
V160 $2000
solid JDM motor $2400
fuel pump $125
misc: $1500 (hardware, cam gears, intercooler/piping... boost controller, etc)

and it goes on and on....
downpipe $200
exhaust $500
TT brakes $850 (rotors, calipers, shipping, rebuild parts)
single kit $???
fuel computer (emanage, aem, megaspooge, etc) $800-$2k

consider shipping too....

these are typical prices you'll find here/ebay

this shit blows up quick!

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
yes, the alt, PS pump, AC, etc bolt right on.... You will need a PS tank though.

-M

·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok guys here are updates.
the only thing i have been working on for the past 2 days straight was the 6 spd tensioner. it was the hardest thing in this whole swap. because i was using no ac compressor and the belt would hit the bracket. i really wanted this tensioner on my motor so i made a quick bracket.

here are the 2 comparisons from the stock one to the 1st design i made (which didnt work)

this is the stock bracket hitting the belt (because no ac compressor it cuts at an angle)

1st design bracket installed. bent. too weak

new design

also to make it official. i am using a 73 inch belt with no ac compressor. it works perfect. got this idea from suprastud. i was with 55 before. barely touched crank.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
nice are u going to drive her out to the show in north jersey on may 20th? i really wanna see your car in person!!!

Andrew

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
Congrats on the swap :)

That tensioner bracket's gonna give you grief though, there is some pretty decent stress put into that shock when you dump the clutch into second, i'd imagine those studs willl bend. You need some kinda diagonal brace from where the shock bolts thru, to the lowest bolt on the block, and maybe another one to the highest bolt on the block. For that shock to do its job, it must be mounted very solid. Good luck getting it sorted

1 - 20 of 54 Posts