Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pipol n cali help me out! do you guys know anyone who can swap 2jz gte to 88 na supra? how much would they charge for installation? how much i would be looking at if i get a front clip of 2jz gte? thnx

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
WHAT THE HEEELLLLL!!!???? Why is it that every newbies first post is about taking the damn 2j and puttin it into the a70. if you want a damn 2j, then buy i frickin mkiv. its not like an MK3.5 or whatever you wanna call it is gonna be cheap. why don't you look around about the 1j and 7m.

B

·
0 Posts
Joe-Turbo: how many times are you going to jump down peoples throats that are asking about 2jz swaps? he just wanted his question answered, not your idiotic flames. Whats wrong with putting a 2jz in a MKIII? im going to do it myself.. do you have a problem with me?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
smog

jst want to run my car in the street. if i swap 1jz, how can i pass smog and where can i go for smog either the "test only or smog check"? this is the only problem i have before doin the project "smog". 1jz owner from cali, i need info's

B

·
0 Posts
btw- expect to pay about $4000-5000 just for the front clip, and if you need to pay a place to do all the installation i'd guess they'd want something like 30 hours or more of labor.. this swap is NOT just a straightforward motor swap, there is alot of custom fabrication/r&d that needs to be done here. do not be surprised if they want $5000 in labor to do it.

B

·
0 Posts
in other words, yes, it would probably be about the same price/easier in the end to buy an MKIV TT. no joke, and this is coming from an unbiased person who is doing a 2JZ swap in an MA70 themself. Even with doing all the labor myself, it is a painstaking and involved process.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bdekoning: thnx for replies, i have few more questions, how can people pass the smog or register there car if they have 1jz? how do they do it? how can i make my care driveable in the street?

·
Not-so-active
100 Posts
Check the "1JZ" topic on the top of this page. It has a lot of information on it.

BTW, if you are in California, I don't think there's a way to make it legal.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
i just say that cause most of people don't know squat about the mkiii and they assume the 2j is god's gift to cars. its different if you've researched the project and decided that you wanna spend all that money and labor just to be stock even at 320hp. you've probably been dealin with supras for quite a good while and know a lot about it so you know what to expect.

My animosity just comes from people becoming slaves to the MKIV and the 2jz. its an amazing car but most people look down on the MKIII just cause its not a 2j cause when they hear supra they see MKIV, 2f2f and other assorted media blowups of the car.

·
Impractical
234 Posts
Joe-Turbo said:
i just say that cause most of people don't know squat about the mkiii and they assume the 2j is god's gift to cars. its different if you've researched the project and decided that you wanna spend all that money and labor just to be stock even at 320hp. you've probably been dealin with supras for quite a good while and know a lot about it so you know what to expect.

My animosity just comes from people becoming slaves to the MKIV and the 2jz. its an amazing car but most people look down on the MKIII just cause its not a 2j cause when they hear supra they see MKIV, 2f2f and other assorted media blowups of the car.
I hear ya. The 2JZ is an amazing powerplant but way overpriced and far too popular for its own good. Of course this probably affects 1JZ pricing, which at the moment, from most of the prices I've seen, is a smoking deal as far as performance potential, if you're handy with tools and a soldering iron.

I think with all the media attention, not to mention the obvious bling factor of the car, trying to talk down the overinflated popularity of the mk4 and 2JZ is a losing battle... But I know where you're coming from.

Matt

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
sometimes i just get tired of telling people i have a supra then haveing them get all salty and disappointed when they don't see four round taillights and a high ass wing with an engine that will"dessimate all after 10 grand and overnight parts from japan" if you know what i mean

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
BDEKONING...

Ok I need your help here...and I'm totally SERIOUS.

Now, before I get flamed or some crap like that, I've sourced parts already, mainly due to the fact that I know some guys with MKIV's. I'll be doing the "wrenchin" along with my other buddies who've done a 1jz swap. I'm only familiar with 7m to 7m.

The main thing that I need to know, is how much "banging" of the firewall would i have to do if I stayed twin turbo? I've seen 1jz's up close and personally and I can already see that there is barely any space from the second turbo to the firewall.

The reason I need this information is because my buddy has his old T67 and manifold ever since he went T78. I'd rather not go single turbo due to "fund-age" problems, but if not, that's cool. He's got the twin turbo set-up too, along with a nice block.

BTW, technically, could I use the MKIV ecu/wiring harness and custom make some harnesses to mate to my body harnesses?

Thanks,
Joseph

B

·
0 Posts
i cant answer anything about fitting the stock turbos in the mkIII.. im running an sp63. in fact, im not even using the TT head either :).

but yea, you would use the MKIV ECU/wiring harness if its USDM it should all fit up nicely, and just chop up the body harness of your 7m and splice it in with the 2JZ harness.

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
thanks bdekoning

yeah, I guess I'll have to go single. Stenno said that LHD supras need to bash up the firewall. D'oh. BTW, if you aren't using the TT head, does that mean you're using the 1jz head?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 1jz head flow better than the 2jz? If you are using the 1jz head, which wiring harness are you using?

I still haven't sourced a head yet, but I'll probably be looking into a 2jz head so that I can smog it. I've seen one here for $175(SF board). I live in California, but technically, I can put an engine from the same year or newer into my car and still hve it smog legal. The only problem is, there are now single turbo kits available for the 2jz that are CARB exempt.

-Joseph

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
why a 2jz-ge???

it's because you have access to a ge(non-turbo for those who are unfamiliar) turbo manifold?

Are the flow rates the same, or would I have to change much? I wouldn't be able to use a gte turbo manifold on a ge head right?

thanks,
Joseph

B

·
0 Posts
because the GE head will run with the 7m ECU. anyway, thats not even a swap you should come close to considering since its way too much custom work and you're paying someone to do everything..

if you want a 2jz get a TT longblock with ECU.

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
Just go with the 1JZ, like people here are saying. For 40HP and a .5L less, its thousands cheaper. I've also heard that 7m-1jz is easier than 7m-7m, though dont quote me on that.

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
Orion ZyGarian...

what do you mean by..." 7m-1jz is easier than 7m-7m, "

If you mean swapping, 7m-7m is BY FAR easier to do. I've actually done a 7m-7m swap and it wasn't bad. My buddy did his 7m-1jz himself too, but it was a much harsher job.

1jz's are a bit more snug than 7m's mainly because of the second turbo coming into contact with the firewall. Now don't flame me and say it's bull-plop because I was there and I know that the second turbo is VERY close to the firewall.

bdekoning...

Now I'm confused as to what the hell you're building. Let me get this straight....a 2jz-ge with a ge block? and turbo? with a 7m ecu???

Now if I'm letting some secret out or something...lemme know asap and this reply'll dissappear.

As for my swap....getting the 2jz into my car will probably cost around $1000 more than a 1jz swap, but I'll have a single turbo already. Also, I can sell my 7m-gte and recover some of the costs.

-Joseph

1 - 20 of 45 Posts