Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 298 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry for posting this if it is a big question. I haven't been on this board forever and i am almost SURE i posted this exact same thign before, but when i went to search for it, it was gone? :confused:
Anywyas, has anyone ever done that? Does it work good? how much could i get a 2JZ for? new? used? where from? All advice WILL be appreciated!! Thanks!

·
///M3 > MKIII
2,302 Posts
this is courtesy of Streetnight... this should help you out, also check the 1jz swap thread in the tech section.. some of the same things apply however its easier to swap in a 1j... you may want to consider that route.

ok guys 1st lets keep this infomative no flames casue i want ppl to be able to read this and learn something about the transplant

1 2jzgte
2 harness both the 7m and the 2jzgte
3 u need a 89+ round mount cross members some 89s do have square mounts to beware of it
4 turbo headers or manifold for a single turbo (unless u plan of fu<king up the fire wall)
5 turbo ur choice
6 motor mounts the 2jz would be ideal cause of this http://homepage.mac.com/chips/PhotoAlbum3.html
7 ecu-either stand alone or 2jzgte
8 fuel pump either the tt fuel pump or a walbro 250lb
9 elec fans cause the 2jz does not use the sameones also helpsout on parasitic hp drop
10 hybrid clutch and fly set up (if using manual)
11 tranny (well depends either 1jz bellhousing for the r154 out auto tranny or a getrag-v160 which involves alot of work)
12 ic

a 2jzgte swap is not really exensive as ppl thing if u do the work ur self u can get most of the stuff for about 3k engine and harness and some times ecu the manifoldif u dont have hi hp dreams and want about 600whp u can get a cast manifold they work well ppl like arnout are using it they sell cheap for about 500-700usd fuel pumps are like 100bucks if that turbos well u can get a t04e for about 300bucks off ebay or a t66 for like 800bucks
then theres the 1jzbell housing is like 300bucks from the 1jz guys
and the the ic u neeed the one end in one end out type u canget a decent one from alot of ppls for about 500bucks and most are pretty nice ic piping is going to run u from 200-400bucks ujst depends on how they are finshed misc. is about 500bucks from bolts to other stuff oh and clutchs u can get a rsp clutch for like 400bucks orsoo soo all and all its like 8gs and u can have a 500+whp mk3 if u want to do all the work ur self
if u want some one else todo it for u the guys in sofl do it for about 2k last i have heard but dont quote me on that cause itwas thru word of mouth also if u are going to put a getrag(v160) in its going to be anywhere from 1k-3k just for the tranny the clutch is just about thesame and u need a diff drive shaft(reason i cant use the one that titan is making aldo i like it and its prudy) and u need a new tranny support made up cause its diff and ur shifter is going to be in a diff spot(from what i have heard of but i have not done mines so it can be true or not)

ppl ask me why is mines so high price y i am putting over 20k in to a 90na well i am looking for hi hps and we all know thats not cheap plus right now im young only 22 and i make enough cash to do it cause i have no one else to worry about execpt me so i think for me its worth doing it now and when i stetle down later i can say i did it and i know alot of u will remember my car so all and all i do it cause i love my car and i know what im doing
so yes im a lil fu<ked up in the head cause im pooring all this money in to a 13year old car but hey if i dont do it i will look back and regret it later which is something i dont do often so it would stick inthe back of my mind for the rest of my life

hope this was informative too all the ppl who wanna know about the 2jzgte swap and about y i do what i do

also some stuff can change like price and the word of mouth stuff

and yes i have bad grammar and my space bar keeps sticking so of u dont like how the first few words are compose block me and yes those are 5 long sentences

·
Registered
329 Posts
Would just like to point out that if you have a RHD Supra the problem of the firewall does not exist. No I don't have a photo but I have seen it.

Also Streetknight, with the V160 what did you do with the shifter? Did you shortin the extention rod and brackets?

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Kinda lays to waste all the 1jzgte upgrades eh?
Why go 1JZ when the 2JZ fits just fine, has more power, is parts friendly for the US market and Damn, just is AWESOME!!! :)
Since you have to go single to really make them fit right, and to make the most power (otherwise, why bother?) I'm thinking a nice used 2jzge with the VVTi from the new IS300's (etc) would be the best. Have you seen the dyno sheets from these motors? They have a flat torque curve that must be very fun to drive. I'd imagine they have power anywhere from 1500 to 5500, no peak, just a nice flat 400 ft lbs to motivate your car.
There are also lots of new piggyback mods being developed for the late model 2jzge, so with a complete ECU, Engine swap into a MK3 and the developed piggybacks, single turbo, and modded to our 3" exhaust, they would be a very good mod here very soon.
Any thoughts anyone?
(PS: I understand these are NA motors with a turbo on them. They still run nice 450hp, 400tq numbers, and due to the higher compression, you can run a smaller turbo with quick spool, and still get good numbers. Just think about when you upgrade the NA to lower compression pistons, mild rebuild and more boost? Whoo YA! Upgrades into 800hp territory are not out of the question. Wonder if the new AEM will support VVTi? )
:rice: :burn:

·
Turbo LAX
274 Posts
Well all this talking about fitting the V160 is such a major job - after doing the measurements and such, the biggest problem will be making the speedo work off it - if at all.

I've recently aquired a 95 2jz-gte front cut complete with that ever so lush V160 that should be going into my 89 supra in the next few weeks.

As for the Diff being a problem, even with the 3.73 gears the gearbox has more than usuable ratios and if not, Toyota sells 3.22 diff gears for the G series diff.

The firewall modifications being mentioned are only a problem for left hand drive supras, right hand drive supras don't have this problem, probably because the motor was designed for a right hand drive car to begin with ;)

·
GOT BOOST?
551 Posts
Clutch Question

Ok I have a 2JZ conversion. Im runing the Mk4 N/A flywheel with 7M pressure plate and clutch disk. I need to know if there is a clutch that would support 700-800 HP and it is not $1000+ or multi-plate.

The car is not driven in the city too much...

·
///M3 > MKIII
2,302 Posts
dunno man... I think your asking too much on this one,

www.mvpmotorsports.com has a good selection of clutches... looks like your gonna have to spend more than a 1000 to get a clutch that holds an advertised 700hp..

I would prolly go with an rps stage III and see how that holds up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
head bolts

do headbolts from a 2jz work on a 1jz? what head bolts would you use for a 1.5JZ conversion? thanks in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2jz bolts are actually closer in design to 7m bolts. they just have different elastic thresholds, (how strong they are), i'm not sure about 1jz bolts. never done the research.

·
1000whp envy
1,590 Posts
Re: Clutch Question

2JZ_MA70 said:
Ok I have a 2JZ conversion. Im runing the Mk4 N/A flywheel with 7M pressure plate and clutch disk. I need to know if there is a clutch that would support 700-800 HP and it is not $1000+ or multi-plate.

The car is not driven in the city too much...
id go with the wotm one from http://store.yahoo.net/wotmstore/wotmcomclutch.html 800 bucks cant beat that and proven already for alot of hps

·
Registered
89 Posts
I OWN AN 87 TURBO 5-SPEED.... i really would like to do the 2jz swap on my supra.... i've seen 88's and up... i haven't seen the 87 with this 2jz engine... IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO THIS CONVERSION ON MY 87 SUPRA???.... thanks in advance

·
Turbo LAX
274 Posts
Just thought I'd share a few pictures of the R154 compared to the V160 - side by side. This is a no if's or buts, but pure proof that the V160 is no 'monsterous' box that alot of people say it is.

It should also shut those up who say it's a major task in fitting the V160 in a MA7x transmission tunnel due to the amount of hammering, cutting and modifying of the tunnel- which I've read on a few well known sites - this is false information and written without the facts behind it.

Enjoy the pictures.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
can anyone post their sources? who is a decent clip dealer? would i catch hell if i purchased an j-spec clip? thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 298 Posts