Supra Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2,425 Posts
@okabbara892 You're very welcome, and I know the feeling of it seeming like it never makes progress. Been there. Kinda there at the moment, but that's due to winter having set in early. You'll get it sorted out. :)

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@okabbara892 You're very welcome, and I know the feeling of it seeming like it never makes progress. Been there. Kinda there at the moment, but that's due to winter having set in early. You'll get it sorted out. :)
Thank you for the support! Yeh I know the feeling. Hopefully this time the engine lives long so I can focus on life and actually save up some money. It's hard being a college student working for bills and then having to dump money on a car.

· Registered
2,425 Posts
@okabbara892 Heh, I remember those times... nobody I knew was playing with 2jz's back then though, we were all dreamers at the time. :p

Getting yourself set up for a good career now will hopefully pay off later. Good friend of mine (otherwise known as the bastard that got me into these cars in the first place) stepped away from the car guy game during his college years, and he's very well off for it now, and making up for it in a good way.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
@okabbara892 Heh, I remember those times... nobody I knew was playing with 2jz's back then though, we were all dreamers at the time. :p

Getting yourself set up for a good career now will hopefully pay off later. Good friend of mine (otherwise known as the bastard that got me into these cars in the first place) stepped away from the car guy game during his college years, and he's very well off for it now, and making up for it in a good way.
Haha yeah I'm trying to focus on a career, but I really need this car to work so I can daily it and sell my daily. It's still currently at the machine shop, I'm wondering should I keep the stock rods or upgrade to forged, tuner said I can keep the stock and I would love to to save money.

· Registered
2,425 Posts
Honestly stock rods will be fine for a car you plan on running as a daily. Yeah it's one of those "while you're in there" things but that's a lot of money without defined high hp goals. I'd say worry about that down the road.

If it is at all feasible to keep your current daily... I would. Supras are great to daily and all, but I've never once regretted having another car on the side. ;)

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Honestly stock rods will be fine for a car you plan on running as a daily. Yeah it's one of those "while you're in there" things but that's a lot of money without defined high hp goals. I'd say worry about that down the road.

If it is at all feasible to keep your current daily... I would. Supras are great to daily and all, but I've never once regretted having another car on the side. ;)
Haha yeah I think I'll keep a daily, never know what happens. I really hope this doesn't happen again on fresh new forged pistons. Is there anything that could cause this other than the tune ofcourse?

· Registered
34 Posts
Basically what others are saying:

1st Timing needs to be verified and synced with your ECU. On Haltechs and many other aftermarket ECUs, syncing them timing is one of the 1st steps. You need a timing gun and quite simply, you can watch Haltech's video on setting base timing to figure it out.

2nd Verify fuel pressure is set, again, there is a Youtube video for that from Haltech or HPAcademy.

3rd like others have said, you need someone who knows how to tune properly. First the VE tables need to be setup right and hopefully your AFRs are appropriately mapped.

4th You'll handle the timing aspect. Generally you can use a lot of the knock detection parts of the software if you know how to have it setup and/or use audio monitoring equipment for knock.

5th Adjust timing conservatively to avoid knock.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts