Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Go Fast and Have a Blast
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My name is Chris and Im new to these forums. Anyway. Im 20 years old and a huge supra fan. Im in the process of buying a 88-90mk3 for my 1st project car. And nothing says supra like a sexy ass 2jz-Gte motor. But the question is about how much would one of these bad SOB's run me. I have checked ebay so far but dont know were I could get my hands on one. Fyi, Im looking to spend about 8k to start this project with. Any suggestions on were to look and were to start with my project.

NO FLAMING PLEASE... Thank you.

~Chris~

· Registered
196 Posts
well you can get a jdm aristo 2j for 1500-2300 as you probably saw on ebay..or you can get a usdm 2jz with getrag 6 speed for about 6 grand..Depending if you are getting an 88 or 90, you cant just slap the motor in. You are going to spend every bit of that 8 grand on the car and the swap...Once you get bit by the boost bullet that 8 grand will gradually turn into more..If you source your parts right and get good deals you might be able to get away with getting a mk3 and putting a 2j in it...But the first thing I would do is build up your suspension to handle the power the 2j puts down and then worry about the motor..just my 2 cents..and do a little bit more seaching on the forums to get some better answers to your questions..Welcome to the best supra forum on the planet..

487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well you can get a jdm aristo 2j for 1500-2300 as you probably saw on ebay..or you can get a usdm 2jz with getrag 6 speed for about 6 grand..Depending if you are getting an 88 or 90, you cant just slap the motor in. You are going to spend every bit of that 8 grand on the car and the swap...Once you get bit by the boost bullet that 8 grand will gradually turn into more..If you source your parts right and get good deals you might be able to get away with getting a mk3 and putting a 2j in it...But the first thing I would do is build up your suspension to handle the power the 2j puts down and then worry about the motor..just my 2 cents..and do a little bit more seaching on the forums to get some better answers to your questions..Welcome to the best supra forum on the planet..
thank you very much for the info. I figured the 8 grand wouldnt get me far lol. But its a start. As far as power goes, Im only looking for stock power for now. But yes the suspension will have to be done too. As of right now im just gathering as much info as i can. The car will not be touched until i meet every aspect of what will need to be done. I dont want one of those project cars that people refer to as "ricers". Like I said will be a work in progress.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
If you get a JDM engine, expect to replace every single gasket. It would also be a good time to replace (at least) the piston rings. New water and oil pumps would be good ideas as well. If you get an Aristo engine, you'll need to get a Supra/Soarer (SC300) rear-sump oil pan and pickup.

86.5-88 cars used square motor mounts, 89-92 used round. If you get an 88, you'll need to get custom mounts and brackets (BIC Performance makes them). Don't bother trying to get the 6 speed in, it'll cost way more money than you want to pay. Get a R154 from a MK3 turbo. You'll a 1JZ bellhousing and flywheel to use the trans with the 2jz.

If you plan on keeping the stock twins, you'll probably need to bang back part of the firewall. Also, Aristo twins use ceramic wheels (not friendly to high boost), USDM Supra twins use steel wheels. The Supra's cams are also more aggressive than the Aristo's.

Hope some of this helps.

I suggest searching for build threads (2jz into mk3)

487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you get a JDM engine, expect to replace every single gasket. It would also be a good time to replace (at least) the piston rings. New water and oil pumps would be good ideas as well. If you get an Aristo engine, you'll need to get a Supra/Soarer (SC300) rear-sump oil pan and pickup.

86.5-88 cars used square motor mounts, 89-92 used round. If you get an 88, you'll need to get custom mounts and brackets (BIC Performance makes them). Don't bother trying to get the 6 speed in, it'll cost way more money than you want to pay. Get a R154 from a MK3 turbo. You'll a 1JZ bellhousing and flywheel to use the trans with the 2jz.

If you plan on keeping the stock twins, you'll probably need to bang back part of the firewall. Also, Aristo twins use ceramic wheels (not friendly to high boost), USDM Supra twins use steel wheels. The Supra's cams are also more aggressive than the Aristo's.

Hope some of this helps.

I suggest searching for build threads (2jz into mk3)

You people are so helpful. I have browsed the forums for a while but just made a account today. Thanks for the imput. I wouldnt dare try and get a 6speed tranny. Too much money that could be spend elswere. And i will be sticking with the R154. I dont expect this to be a project done anytime soon. I have too much respect for the supra to do a shit job lol. As for the firewall. I want to do a single turbo set up obviously. But that will probrolly have to wait till I get more funding

· Registered
196 Posts
You people are so helpful. I have browsed the forums for a while but just made a account today. Thanks for the imput. I wouldnt dare try and get a 6speed tranny. Too much money that could be spend elswere. And i will be sticking with the R154. I dont expect this to be a project done anytime soon. I have too much respect for the supra to do a shit job lol. As for the firewall. I want to do a single turbo set up obviously. But that will probrolly have to wait till I get more funding
If you want to start off small on a single you could try some holset turbos, they are cheap and very reliable, maybe a hx35 or hy35, they are good for about 400hp, and then upgrade later..There are some ebay turbo manifolds that I have read here on the forums that are pretty good against cracking and are reliable...I have tein coilovers ss coilovers on my mk3 and it handles great and the adjustability is awesome. Fuel obviously would be a good option to upgrade. I have heard ups and downs with walbros, I am going to run a dual TT setup when I make some serious power. Just take in as much as you can and read as much as you can on this forum, I read almost everything before I signed up. Anyways, we are always here to help and always here to flame ya to..lol..Post some pics of your ride when you get it...

· 91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,977 Posts
$8k is a good start, if you do your research you might be able to do the swap with that budget. But if you're like who want a nice clean car, expect to spend about another $8k for paint, rims/tires, suspensions, interior etc.

· 91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,977 Posts
if you're looking for only 400whp, what's the point of going single. BPU is all you need to reach that. No need to spend extra money going single then later on spending more money to go bigger. Just my opinion

If you want to start off small on a single you could try some holset turbos, they are cheap and very reliable, maybe a hx35 or hy35, they are good for about 400hp, and then upgrade later..There are some ebay turbo manifolds that I have read here on the forums that are pretty good against cracking and are reliable...I have tein coilovers ss coilovers on my mk3 and it handles great and the adjustability is awesome. Fuel obviously would be a good option to upgrade. I have heard ups and downs with walbros, I am going to run a dual TT setup when I make some serious power. Just take in as much as you can and read as much as you can on this forum, I read almost everything before I signed up. Anyways, we are always here to help and always here to flame ya to..lol..Post some pics of your ride when you get it...

487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol I hear that i have been on this forum all day long. trying to learn some stuff lol. And i have heard great things about the tein coilovers. Then again Tein in general is good. But for the turbo Ill just wait till I can get what I want. Im going for a ball park of 500-600hp. It will be my DD eventually. Long term goals will be Texas Mile.

487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$8k is a good start, if you do your research you might be able to do the swap with that budget. But if you're like who want a nice clean car, expect to spend about another $8k for paint, rims/tires, suspensions, interior etc.
As for paint and body. My uncle owns a Body shop and only charges me the Price of paint. He understands what Im tryin to do with the car. And him being a car person, hes behind me all the way.

· Registered
510 Posts
its 8 grand including buying the car, for making 600whp i definelty say 1jz, 2 grand get you motor, tranny, harness and ecu.Then you have plenty of money for upgrades including getting a 2jz block if you wanted, going single would be no problem and you have money for the things like clutch, fuel setup, suspension, wheels and tires, and a way to tune your car

487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its 8 grand including buying the car, for making 600whp i definelty say 1jz, 2 grand get you motor, tranny, harness and ecu.Then you have plenty of money for upgrades including getting a 2jz block if you wanted, going single would be no problem and you have money for the things like clutch, fuel setup, suspension, wheels and tires, and a way to tune your car
8 is for the swap. And doing what ever i can get done. wich from what i hear and have been reading. wont get me far. but its ok

· Registered
1,872 Posts
Don't take his advice. 2 grand for a JDM engine that's been sitting in a junkyard for who knows how many years, and just going to drop it in?!? Talk about cheap...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.