Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nearly finished my 2JZ swap but currently trying to figure out how to get my gauges working. Im gonna have a go at adapting most of them to read of the new sensors but the speedo is a bit different as my old gauge is mechanical and the Aristo tranny has an electrical sensor which I cant remove as the ECU needs the signal for shifting.

Trying to find a fairly cost effective way of getting an accurate speed reading.

Any suggestions appreciated. :)

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
In some emails I shared with Arnout, he said to use the MKIII stock speedo cable and get the speed signal from the speedometer.... So you should be able to just connect the speed signal wire from the speedometer to the speed signal input on the ECU.

I am getting ready to do the same this coming weekend, but I don't have any of the wire/color info with me right now. Lemme know if ya get it done before the weekend and what you did. thanx!

Also, as far as temp sensor, replacing the 2JZ temp sender with the one from the 7M should work for the temp guage (at least that's also what Arnout did).

E

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im running the Aristo transmission though which has an electric sensor which is needed for the ECU so I cant remove it. I have no where to connect my speedo cable so the stock speedo is no use to me anymore.

I think Arnouts running an MA70 tranny isnt he?

Basically Ive realised I have to either adapt the speedo mechanism from the Aristo halfcut to work on my car or buy an after market one and get it working.

Im trying to keep whatever system I use reasonably easy to adjust as I currently run a 4.1:1 diff with 15" wheels and will soon be swapping to bigger wheels. I dont want to have to replace bits and pieces to get my speedo accurate everytime I change something.

I found these little combination units for sale for $325(AUD) the other day which seem to be by far the cheapest and easiest way to get things working. They also look pretty cool but ill have to make up a custom dash to hold it.

What do you think?

BTW: Theres pics of the the work done so far on my website, have a look if your interested. :)
www.2jza70.com

·
Supras are never 'done'
1989 Toyota Supra
601 Posts
I believe you can replace that sender with a speedo drive. The car looks good. I like the airbox.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mobes said:
I believe you can replace that sender with a speedo drive. The car looks good. I like the airbox.
Replacing the current sender would result in no more working tranny though. The ECU requires the signal to shift gears, from what I can tell.

Thanks for the comments. Also gonna be makin up a custom cold air intake that goes to the airbox from the stock drivers side vent but will only be used on track days as it might be a bit suseptable to sucking in water if I leave it in for street use.(Not a priority at the moment though) :)

·
Supras are never 'done'
1989 Toyota Supra
601 Posts
There is also a sender in the MK3 speedo. This is what Satan was trying to explain. You can hook up a speedo cable to the tranny to drive the MK3 speedo. Then hook the sender in the MK3 speedo up to the ECU using the same wire that the Aristo sender in the tranny is hooked to now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmm ok, didnt think of that.

I know the ECU requires 2 inputs, one directly from the front of the tranny and one from the rear of the tranny, via the speedo.

Ill see whats involved in getting the rear sensor replaced in the tranny. ;)

Im still tempted to go with this new combo unit though. It goes to 300kmhr. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts