Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lag > Boost
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It may not be popular here, but I thought I would share anyways. I have been a huge fan of the 2JZ for years (before I joined this forum) and have done a bit of research. Not wanting to invest 50,000 in a stock MKIV with 150,000 miles as a starting point, and having my turbo LT1 engine make 1,008 RWHP that later took out the block, I was left with an opportunity to perhaps make something happen. I contacted a buddy of mine and he accepted when I asked him if he wanted to take on the project with me. So far so good! I got a killer deal on a used 2JZ-GTE engine (only 200 dollars) and got a decent deal on a 2JZ-GE VVTI head (500 dollars). So far, we have fit the engine, trans, intake, turbo manifold AND turbo in and everything seems to be fitting!

For anyone interested in the build process, I have started a youtube channel at the request of many that I will update as the build continues.

Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKV...sw1TBgCjtZs18g

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
Given the SBC has been swapped into every motorized vehicle possible and, since the 2JZ-GTE has been referred to as the SBC of Japan, it is only natural, IMO, that you are swapping in a 2JZ-GTE motor into your Z28 chassis. I wish you the best of luck, as it should be a killer machine when all is said and done (not that it wasn't already).

Ken.

·
Lag > Boost
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken! 2Js seem to be swapped in everything as you've mentioned. However, as far as I can tell, mine will be the first documented swap into a 4th generation F-body (Camaro or Firebird).

Hopefully it will indeed be a killer machine!

·
Registered
579 Posts
ok 911 this is turning into a reality eh ? wasn't there a spirited discussion a while back on the mk4 thread about this?

cool. Im with you brah, cost of entry into the mk4 club is just stupid these days (speaking for my cheep ass self anyways). cheep mk4 is over 15k for a beat na auto with 200k miles, if you can find one.

what really has me watching this thread is I had dreamed of a 5.3 turbo swap in my mk3. im interested in your perspective when its running and how it compares to the previous 1000hp v8. subbed.

ppl have been swapping jz's for decades though (it can't be a first....)

·
Lag > Boost
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Madison. I love the MKIVs. Have always wanted one but like you understand the cost of getting one just as a starting point can be extremely expensive. Then if you want to make one fast to the level I would want and you might as well take out a second mortgage. I needed a new engine for my car anyways and decided to go this route and yes, I'm really doing it.

If you subscribed to the youtube channel, you'll see everything as it goes. I spoke in episode #1 on the channel a bit about the history of the car and why I went this route instead of another gm turbo v8. They have been done plenty, and for good reason. A 5.3 swap with a turbo is about as cheap as you can go and have good power. But if you want to take things over that 1k at the wheels level over time you're going to push water and you really need to have a 6-bolt head design that only the aftermarket blocks like LSX and Dart make. Those are very pricey. I could have done that, but I wanted to do something different and I love the 2JZ platform. Going this route also is going to save me quite a bit from going that other route.

Although people have been swapping 2JZs for decades this should be the actual first documented swap into a 4th generation Camaro or Firebird. As you found the only pic out there, the actual swap had been done once before in a 4th gen Firebird, however it was a single picture taken at a muffler shop of the car and literally zero info on it or details on the setup or build. So, mine should be the very first documented one.

·
Registered
579 Posts
conversely I would say every single detail of that build is known, and all out there piece meal. its a bolt on swap, thousands of jz's are hooked up to gm transmissions and there are dozens of write ups. same with electrical / fuel systems etc. I didn't mean to say its not rare (sorry)--it does appear your build could be the first full write up, I agree there --putting all the bits into one place. how about a procharger / mechanical fuel injection build. don't see a lot of jz's supercharged, much less in camaro's ;). saw a honda d block home brew (gear driven) eaton setup at the track once. noisy, fast, was crazy.

·
Lag > Boost
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
conversely I would say every single detail of that build is known, and all out there piece meal. its a bolt on swap, thousands of jz's are hooked up to gm transmissions and there are dozens of write ups. same with electrical / fuel systems etc. I didn't mean to say its not rare (sorry)--it does appear your build could be the first full write up, I agree there --putting all the bits into one place. how about a procharger / mechanical fuel injection build. don't see a lot of jz's supercharged, much less in camaro's ;). saw a honda d block home brew (gear driven) eaton setup at the track once. noisy, fast, was crazy.
Specifically, the details surrounding that picture are unknown to the public. Clearly who ever did the swap knew. But there are no known details to ever research upon it or find info on how to do it anywhere on the internet. Not for a 4th gen F-body. This will be rare enough for me. No one has procharged the 2JZ to my knowledge. Not saying you can't, but they are known to work so well with matched turbo chargers. I'd rather not find out the hard way with impossible tuning and working the fabrication of a belt driven supercharger somehow to the motor and hoping the unknown combo I did both works and somehow delivers the power I want. I have specific goals in mind power wise that I know will work with this. I'm not going full radical and doing something like a blower setup.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just curious.... Where in the world did you find a $200 2jz gte? What kind of shape was it? I find myself wanting to 2jz swap everything!!! Rock crawlers, Starions, jeeps, Samari, 4-Runners, Land Cruisers, Sunbeams... etc.!!! But I'd love to build a 2jz Old-school rat-rod, like a chopped-top 1940s Chrysler or something!

·
Lag > Boost
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious.... Where in the world did you find a $200 2jz gte? What kind of shape was it? I find myself wanting to 2jz swap everything!!! Rock crawlers, Starions, jeeps, Samari, 4-Runners, Land Cruisers, Sunbeams... etc.!!! But I'd love to build a 2jz Old-school rat-rod, like a chopped-top 1940s Chrysler or something!
I found it on Craigslist for $500. It was listed as not running and had "rod knock". It was a bit of an unknown. It was just the engine and no head so I talked the guy down to $200. Put it in my hatch and drove it home. I dismantled it and found the bad rod and bad bearings. The crank will polish out though and all I really needed was the block and the crank to be good as I will build everything else anyways. Supposedly it had around 75k on it mileage wise, but I'll be re honing the block and re machining everything.

Your profile picture looks familiar to me. I am a KC-135 pilot out of Grissom. What do you do and where are you stationed?

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
What a great project! Best wishes with it, and I think you're going to be really pleased with 2JZ-GTE power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts