Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly do i got to machine off to make them fit? My buddy just got a lathe so im thinkin of "upgrading" to 2JZGTE stock cams in my 1jz since they are usually very inexpensive to buy.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Cam seal surfaces on both cams need to be machined smaller.
The thrust surface on one cant rememeber which needs to be widened .040 or so. Just put them side by side its pretty obvious at that point. Really pretty easy to do my guy did my 268/276 stage 2 Crowers for 30.00.
Cary

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking to do a cheap upgrade, if i can get 10whp put of the 2JZGTE cams ill be happy :)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I gained closer to 20rwhp and a better power curve with the 2j cams. I think you'll be happy with the mod.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yup its all about under the curve! Its worth the effort for sure.
Cary

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a few sets of GE cams, are they the same or no?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
No they are not the same and I dont even think they will work in a turbo car. I think the intake cam has a tab or something on it to trigger the cam position sensor. I do not think the n/a ones have that. But again...I could be wrong.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
eventually i'll get a set of cams and put them in the 1jz.... unless you want to sell me yours kelly.. you know you want some 264s or 272s .. lol

i think it was~ 20 whp peak and like 20-30whp in upper rev ranges..

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about the ex cam retard mod.. does that still apply? I retarded my stock 1JZ ex cam 2.5 degrees and the car became a monster.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
people have had success with changing the cam timing wiht 2jzs.. im sure it will still make a difference.. maybe not as much as the 1jzs did?

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive got some good deal PM's for 2JZGTE cams.. for 20whp and 20-30 higher across the band.. yeah its worth it!

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far i found some for $100~ shipped. I bet i can find cheaper before the weekend is over.

·
Registered
240 Posts
can i get a tracking number or confrimation that the turbo's have been sent? you haven't replied to any of my pm's

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its in the glove box of my car, honestly i forget dude its USPS it wont tell you anything except when u recieve it after u get it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
thats fine bro no big deal i just wish you would have replied and said something to me

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
The exhaust cam's thrust clearance has to be opened up on the #1 journal. It's not much, but enough. Also as stated before, the cam seals are too big and need to be machined down to fit. Of course... At this point I'm wondering if you couldn't just use a set of 2JZ cam seals. I didn't think of this until now and I've already had my 2JZ Crowers machined down.

- Chris

·
Registered
939 Posts
The head is a bunch bigger since the OD of the seal is larger so no you cant use the 2J seal. unless you machined the head which is just not practical. That right I looked yesterday it is the ex cam that needs the thrust done.
Cary

1 - 20 of 21 Posts