Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys im hoping you can help me out a little. mostly i just come on here to read and i've been reading a lot of turbo comparisons, but no Supra owners are really in my situation, nor do i really personally know a lot of turbo supra owners (only about 3), so its hard to get a straight line comparison on performance, so here it goes...

Im considering swapping a 2JZ into my S13 240sx in replace of my current SR setup. ALL I DO is drift, atleast one or two events each month, and drive it daily on the street. At like 300whp, I still want more, and i just feel that a strung out 4cyl turbo making 400whp is gonna be a lot of breaking things (trannies, rods, gaskets), and hastles with a laggy turbo (think 20g or GT2835R on a 2.0L). So instead, ive been privialaged to see a handful of RB25, RB26 and 1JZ S13's that drive amazingly. I really like the ease and torque and power curve that I6's put out, and it seems like having a 2JZ for the power levels I want would put a lot less stress on the motor than having a 4cyl obviously. and so...

I plan on wanting to make anywhere in the realms of 450-550whp and have a very flat power curve with as little lag as possible. again also in the 16-20psi range. i was thinking a PFC and some 272 cams and then one of four turbo setups.

- twin GT28RS (disco potatos)
- single T66 or 67
- single GT3071R bigger A/R
- single GT35R smaller A/R

so, spool up is key while not squeezing the turbo to the highest maximum psi just to get those numbers. please, any suggestions to which setup and why (cost, lowest spool up RPM, flatest power/torque curve, best bang for the buck) you would chose would be greatly appriciated.

thanks a lot - Collin

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so nobody in this entire place can answer this? NOBODY?

what setup you have?
your spool up point?
power level at what boost level?
why you like your setup?

this is not going as previously planned

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Go T67, it'll make an easy 500RWHP on pump at low boost (for a Supra) and spool before 4200RPMs, around 3800-4K. Consider a cast manifold if you want to keep costs down, 3.5 inch DP, and decent EBAY intercooler :) You can go smaller if you want and still make 500RWHP....

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats not bad, but i was kinda figuring that range, thats why i wanted to hear from people themselves... is there no setup that will spool around 3200rpms and still make 450-500whp? i thought maybe twin T28's, but then thats the least cost effective probably. o well thanx, give more please.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Its simple.Use the stock turbo and make the car BPU+++, u can see around 460hp+ and it spools damn fast .In the first place why do u want to change to a turbo kit when just aiming for 500hp.Definetely not worth the dough.....(This is my way of thinking)

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i figured stockies wouldnt handle 480ish... i thought there were kinda tapped out around 380-400, so that was my main thinking in asking this. plus i might be space limited from shock tower to shock tower since my car is smaller than yours, so i might not be able to even fit twins. maybe i will just consider that and see if it fits in first before buying a new manifold and turbo.

at 380, i can get that out of an SR without even going to a top mount turbo, so that would kind of be pointless. but the difference between 380 and 480 on my engine is the diffeence between going from bottom mount turbo to new DP, top mount mani, big lag, and going from 600cc to 720cc injectors or bigger. not to mention the fact that internals will start failing after 400ish. if you say stock turbos can go to 480 tho, maybe i'll look into BPU stuff more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts