Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anybody has any experiance pulling the steel rivet's out and removing the baffel's.i was thinking about heating the cover's up in the oven.then i was going to use a tack puller,to pry them out.what do you think?any opinion's?:dunno: :dunno:

keith

·
Old School
4,091 Posts
Why?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Most guys will just drill out the end of the rivets and the baffles will fall out. Some guys will take the baffles out when they run big AN fittings through their cam covers for crankcase ventilation. I like to keep the baffles in it, otherwise you pull more oil into your breather or vacuum canister.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Make sure you put those baffles back when you are done, they help keep oil in the head and not flowing out of the head into the breather system.

Adam

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make sure you put those baffles back when you are done, they help keep oil in the head and not flowing out of the head into the breather system.

Adam
i plan on putting them back,that's why i wanted to pry out the rivet's.i was planning on tapping the hole's later and using screw's with the permatex to hold then in.i'm also welding some an-10 into each cover for my catch can.no pcv going to the plenum,just a hose to the air intake for vacume.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
i plan on putting them back,that's why i wanted to pry out the rivet's.i was planning on tapping the hole's later and using screw's with the permatex to hold then in.i'm also welding some an-10 into each cover for my catch can.no pcv going to the plenum,just a hose to the air intake for vacume.
Awesome, I will need to do this in the future as I am starting to plan my personal build up. Sooo, take some pictures of your progress and post them up!! I would just drill out the rivets personally.

Adam

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is a pic of the way it is now on the 1jz as it sit's.i'm swapping in a 95 2jz now,so i'm gonna do the same with it.the 1jz has allen screw's that hold in the baffle's,so they come out nice and easy.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
aren't you a little afraid of losing one of those little allen screws out of the valve cover and into your engine?? I thought at first it would be a neat idea, but then I got a mental video of that one adventurous screw exploring my oil passages and closely inspecting my moving parts... :faint:

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aren't you a little afraid of losing one of those little allen screws out of the valve cover and into your engine?? I thought at first it would be a neat idea, but then I got a mental video of that one adventurous screw exploring my oil passages and closely inspecting my moving parts... :faint:
the fipg used on the baffle's will help hold the allen's from backing out.i'm not the type of person who forget's to tighten shit either.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
whoa.. little touchy there? i'm not doubting you or your abilities..

my concern is that the baffles were riveted for a reason from the factory, so Toyota opted not to use screws for a reason, no?

if screws work fine for you and you feel safe with it then great, that's all that matters. i just personally don't feel comfortable with screws and fipg.. even using spring washers. my motor and piece of mind is worth more than the cost or effort of re-riveting the baffles.

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
whoa.. little touchy there? i'm not doubting you or your abilities..

my concern is that the baffles were riveted for a reason from the factory, so Toyota opted not to use screws for a reason, no?
i didn't want to sound touchy and i can't say how good the rivet's hold either.they are steel in aluminum and the expansion rate on one is greater.
the 1jz valve cover's are not riveted from the factory with no problem's that i've heard.i've never heard of the rivet's failing either,so my concern's are minimal.
i figured someone would have taken them appart with all the coated cover's in pic's.i ended up polishing them anyway's,but would like to use some super clear powder.keep the cleaning to a minimal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts