Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...was talking with Carter Jung, Editor of Import Tuner mag today. We were discussing our respective projects, and doing some bench racing of his Skyline versus my SC300, I was of course telling him how I would kick his ass which steered us into thinking...would people be interested in reading a article in which we do a buildup of these 2 legendary power houses?

some things we were thinking...

-same manufactures of parts
-both engines be .020 over
-same machine shop does the machine work(Justice Racing Engines)
-Dyno them on a engine dyno, so we can take the drivetrain out of the equation
-same engine management and same tuner
-same turbo and exhaust manifold manufacture
-same head porter, with flow comparisons

What do you guys and gals think? Do able? can you think of something constructive you think we should add to this?

· Registered
3,010 Posts
I'd probably leave out the head work, a lot of variables with that unless its just a clean up and valve job.

Make sure you get the same style manifolds for the turbos etc.

Definitely would be cool for the import lovers.

· Registered
382 Posts
The JZ will last longer.
LOL..

awesome idea for a story. i say leave out the headwork..

and you should do it in 2 stages.. stock engines.. all the bolt ons and tuning.. and then .020 engine afterward and tested again.

nice comparo within a comparo.. checking the increase of the mods on each motor too.

· Slow Poke
906 Posts
Sounds like a great idea but wouldn't the 1JZ make for a closer comparison to the RB26?

I know people always compare the Skyline and Supra but the 2JZ is in a slightly different league to the RB26 IMHO.

· Banned
3,180 Posts
Sounds like a great idea but wouldn't the 1JZ make for a closer comparison to the RB26?

I know people always compare the Skyline and Supra but the 2JZ is in a slightly different league to the RB26 IMHO.
People usually stroke the 26 to like a 3.0 or 3.1.

· Registered
324 Posts

I look at the comparision differently. I'm out here in Japan with the Navy and live about 45 minutes south of Tokyo. I agree with you 100% that the 26 and the 2J are just completely different beasts. I don't think the comparision can be very close at all.

If this test leaves the bottom ends stock for the first comparision the RB is gonna pop considerably earlier than the 2J. The 2J was just made so well from the factory. From what I have heard over here you can't expect HP numbers over 600-650 on a stock bottom end RB26 for long.

The reason people will generally through out the Supra vs Skyline flag is because of the raw power of the supra vs the good power plant in the GT-Rs but the much better drivetrain of the skyline. Everything over here is based mostly around high speed highway pulls. However, the skyline has a big upper hand because my supra starts to scare me a little around the 300-320 kmph mark as you are taking a turn through the tunnel or changing lanes around traffic. Most of the guys with GT-Rs over here will get pulled on the straight away but where we have to back off a the bank they can just keep the hammer down.

I still think that the motor comparision is a cool idea and I would love to read it.

· Registered
324 Posts
People usually stroke the 26 to like a 3.0 or 3.1.
Maybe more in the states but not over here that I have seen that much. The most popular setup is the HKS kit for 2.8l. My buddy has a 2.7l running a GT45 and it's amazing. I've never seen anyone run a stroked 3.0 over here. The most often I have heard of 3.0s is when poeple get a hold of an RB30 block. It's not that common over here though, the states may be a big difference.

· Banned
3,180 Posts
I look at the comparision differently. I'm out here in Japan with the Navy and live about 45 minutes south of Tokyo. I agree with you 100% that the 26 and the 2J are just completely different beasts. I don't think the comparision can be very close at all.

If this test leaves the bottom ends stock for the first comparision the RB is gonna pop considerably earlier than the 2J. The 2J was just made so well from the factory. From what I have heard over here you can't expect HP numbers over 600-650 on a stock bottom end RB26 for long.

The reason people will generally through out the Supra vs Skyline flag is because of the raw power of the supra vs the good power plant in the GT-Rs but the much better drivetrain of the skyline. Everything over here is based mostly around high speed highway pulls. However, the skyline has a big upper hand because my supra starts to scare me a little around the 300-320 kmph mark as you are taking a turn through the tunnel or changing lanes around traffic. Most of the guys with GT-Rs over here will get pulled on the straight away but where we have to back off a the bank they can just keep the hammer down.

I still think that the motor comparision is a cool idea and I would love to read it.
Yeah they are not compating who handles better. Therefore, Supras have the upper hand. You said it yourself;) 2JZ>RB26:) Come on who does 300kmph in the U.S. around a corner? We focus on just going fast:)

· Highway Demon
4,778 Posts
I love this idea for a article and have seen something similar in option magazine before. They took a rb26 and a 2jz that had relatively the same amount of mileage and did a tear down to see the condition of the parts. They compared which engine was showing more wear then the other. They then compared aftermarket products for the 2 engines from the same manufactures. I do not think the comparison was completely fair as the way one driver dogs a car compared to another can sway results regardless if the engines both have the same amount of mileage. Not to mention the differences in where the owners of these engines lived and how well they maintained the cars that they were in. We all know which engein will come out on top right ;)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.