Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this mentioned before, but not sure if it has actually been done, if so who? The idea is to swap all the sensors from the 7M engine onto the 2JZGE engine and use the 7M harness and ECU to run it. I'm not sure why I want to do this Vs. a 7M, just something different I guess. Any reason why this wouldn't be fairly straightforward, I can't think of any, but I haven't thought it through 100% yet. Thanks.

Glen

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
Check the NA section. There is some information about 7m electronics, CPS etc on a 2J.

I would just use the 2JZGE harness as designed.

2JZGE would have slightly more compression, and a little more top end as stock, over a 7M.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the CPS is a biggie, I knew that would work. The ISC would be the next hardest thing to swap and I'm pretty sure those are the same. Knock sesnors could be a potential problem, but the rest (TPS, injectors, plug wires, coolant temp, etc.) should all be trivial. I guess I should just make a complete list of the sensors and check through them all.

JDM 2JZGE's are very cheap, and if you use the 7M sensors/wiring/ecu then you don't need to find an engine that includes an uncut harness and ECU and track down all the little do-dads like ignitor, AFM, etc. to make it work (anything that is bolted to the chassis instead of the engine). You do have to find a bellhousing and get a new clutch (I think).

Just thinking out loud I guess. Like I said I'm not sure there's any real benefit to going this route, but I'll probably try it for kicks.

Glen

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
USDM SC300 2JZGE's are dirt cheap. Just go on club lexus and check the forsale or engine swap section. Before i parted both mine out, i woulda sold both for $100.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, USDM would be fine too. Point being that 2JZGE's are cheap and easy to find. Obviously I don't need to expain the differences between the 2JZ and 7M to the people in the 1jz/2jz swap section. Maybe I'll have to dig around and see if I can find the thread where I first found this mentioned (I think it was on SM). I think I would just try it with a stock 2JZGE and W58 at first, but obviously you could go NA-T on it and then you'd want the R154; and I would be using 7MGTE electronics either way.

Glen

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
try it out... it wouldn't cost that much.. even if it ended up not working out.. less then 1k i would assume..

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
sold my USDM 2jzge for ~175$.... they are a dime a dozen if you find someone doing a swap.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I didn't realize they went for that cheap... thats a steal.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm 95% sure I'll be trying it, I just want to see if I can learn anything from someone who has done it or tried it before. I already have an 89NA chassis sitting there waiting for a motor and I wanted to do something besides a 7M. First considered a 1UZ, but that seemed like it was alot of money for the performance you were getting. Alright, 2JZGE it is. Anybody know of any cheap engines? bellhousings?

Are there any differences between USDM and JDM that I would care about?

Glen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts