Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey MKIV guys,

I'm a MK3 guy doing a 2J swap. First time doing a head gasket job and have 2 questions:

1. Do I need to block off the coolant/oil ports with anything before getting the old gasket off of my block mating surface?

2. Going to be boosting and I don't have a standalone. I'll be running the 7MGTE ECU for a while which should yield me around 8PSI reliably. Should I just pick up an TT HG and call it a day? IIRC it's 1.3mm thickness. If I want to run more boost later I'm sure I'll need a bigger HG.

I know the topic has been beaten to death. I'm just trying to do it right while the engine is out of the car, ya know.

Thanks~

·
Registered
1993 Supra NA-T
40 Posts
Not really sure what you mean by "Oil Ports" since the only ports on top of the block are coolant passages. You don't need to block them off, but you should certainly flush the system once you're done. Some old gasket wont cause harm to your cooling system, but you don't want anything the get gummed up. For the record, your ECU doesn't tell the car how much to boost. That is controlled by a wastegate and a solenoid. In regards to the ECU, the 7MGTE uses an entirely different ignition method. 2JZ-GE Non-VVTi motors run off of a disti, while the 7M-GTE is a waste spark setup. That probably isn't going to work, but I am no expert on 7M motors. The car wont know you're running a JZ and it certainly wont know you're boosting it. You'll probably run the car lean as shit and break something on a stock 7M ECU. Do yourself a favor, and do it the right way, with a standalone. ECUMaster makes very affordable standalones. You can either build a harness, or buy a plug 'n play.

In regards to compression, that's another thing. A TT head gasket would place you right around 9.2:1 compression. On standard 91 octane with a 60 trim turbo, you can run around 16/17 PSI of boost tops. A head gasket is not something you just "swap out". Put a TT headgasket in and if you NEED more boost, run the car on a higher octane fuel. There is a LOT of info out on this topic. You should probably do some more research of what this project entails before you start tearing into stuff.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really sure what you mean by "Oil Ports" since the only ports on top of the block are coolant passages. You don't need to block them off, but you should certainly flush the system once you're done. Some old gasket wont cause harm to your cooling system, but you don't want anything the get gummed up.
Totally agree and I appreciate the response. Good to know about the coolant passages. I suppose I could always flush them if it gets too gunky down there. A lot of the 7M guys are able to swap in the 2J and run them on almost all 7M electronics without issue. This includes deleting the dizzy and running the CPS (wasted spark). I actually found my answer regarding the head gasket, standalone, etc. right after posting this thread, but couldn't delete my thread :LOL: . I'm going to go with the ECU master and buy a plug and play, as you said. I've only recently considered boosting it, so definitely more research to be done. Thanks again man.

·
Registered
1993 Supra NA-T
40 Posts
Totally agree and I appreciate the response. Good to know about the coolant passages. I suppose I could always flush them if it gets too gunky down there. A lot of the 7M guys are able to swap in the 2J and run them on almost all 7M electronics without issue. This includes deleting the dizzy and running the CPS (wasted spark). I actually found my answer regarding the head gasket, standalone, etc. right after posting this thread, but couldn't delete my thread :LOL: . I'm going to go with the ECU master and buy a plug and play, as you said. I've only recently considered boosting it, so definitely more research to be done. Thanks again man.
No worries. If you have any questions regarding the process, let me know or shoot me a DM. I have a vast wealth of knowledge I have accumulated over doing my project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts