Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know that the 2JZGTE motor came in a 5 speed?? Is it true? Is this JDM factory spec?

eBay VVTI 5 Speed

·
Registered
40 Posts
No I dont think the 2jzgte supra came in a 5 speed manual. Only the non turbo supra recieved the 5 speed.

·
Slightbreach of Etiquette
428 Posts
maybe they threw a ge tranny on there and called it even? =/ I hope that's not the case, as i don't think it would hold up too long (I dont know too much about it, but i'd assume the 6spd is way better built.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Yah the 6spd is built by getrag and is a much much stronger transmission than the W series... sadly im not too familiar with the looks of the v-160s, but that does not look like one that i have seen before... id put money on it that it is infact a W58...

Maybe the japs are doing lazy gte swaps also?...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just done a little research. The only 5 speed I know of is coming from the Toyota soarer which is basically the same as the supra. suspension, brakes, drivetrains, and engine parts are interchangeable. The engine must have been a 2jz-ge, and they threw the turbo on it making it a Na-T supra.

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
Its real.. there are Aristo's with 2JZGTE's and 5 speed, they are pretty rare. That transmission you see is actually a R154, same tranny that comes in the Turbo MK3 supra only with a different bellhousing & shift mount..(Or same as 1JZGTE) That tranny is worth some bucks to the guys doing NA-T and GTE swaps in MK4's because it is way stronger than the w58 and bolts right into a JZA80 chassis. The attraction is it costs WAY less than a V160.. (although not nearly as baller)

Also, that engine is not from a Supra.. giveaways include: Oil sump/pan, wiring harness (see ignitor on other side).. AND the tranny didnt come on that motor, unless someone tried to run a flex plate as a flywheel!! lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THanks for all the input! you guys are awesome!

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
MattOneDime said:
Its real.. there are Aristo's with 2JZGTE's and 5 speed, they are pretty rare. That transmission you see is actually a R154, same tranny that comes in the Turbo MK3 supra only with a different bellhousing & shift mount..(Or same as 1JZGTE) That tranny is worth some bucks to the guys doing NA-T and GTE swaps in MK4's because it is way stronger than the w58 and bolts right into a JZA80 chassis. The attraction is it costs WAY less than a V160.. (although not nearly as baller)

Also, that engine is not from a Supra.. giveaways include: Oil sump/pan, wiring harness (see ignitor on other side).. AND the tranny didnt come on that motor, unless someone tried to run a flex plate as a flywheel!! lol
Good call Matt on the flywheel. Must have been an auto connected to that engine originally...haha...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts