Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard mix things about all this. People say it would be fairly simple, minor fabricating. And some say no way, way to much fabrication. Just curious as to what kind of fabricating needs to be done. I dont care about fabrication, ive done the impossible before with a friend on another car project.

Ive got 3 options, Supra/IS300/SC300 maybe 4 with ES300. Ive got my old supra(wrecked) and im going to be the motor into something...someday :D

Casey

·
Registered
49 Posts
The gte will not drop right in search IS300.net for more info or pm is300gte on is300.net. There was also a post on supraforums about his car and an article in a recent turbo mag about his car nothing bolts right in

·
I CAN HAS WELFARE
3,413 Posts
If you go through with it good luck!

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
There is some discussion that the 98' blocks have the additional engine mounting holes to "drop it right in". I'll probably have a more solid answer today as I have a 98 shortblock and an 04' IS300 in my garage as we "type". Either way, it's going in, BFH or not :D. My little baby IS will have some proper motivation here soon. If I let every person who had some trouble with a project in the past deter me, I would never get anything done.

Soon.....Soon....

Ryan

·
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive read that turbo article. I dont believe it will be hard as it seems. Sounds like the guy thought it was going to be easy and found out he had to get his hands dirty.

Ryan, thanks. That would be nice to know.

Motormounts are the easiest thing to fab up. I dont care about that stuff. Intake and exhaust plumbing is even easier.

Bah, we will see. Hopefully just find me a nice cheap Supra.

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
turbowash said:
Ive read that turbo article. I dont believe it will be hard as it seems. Sounds like the guy thought it was going to be easy and found out he had to get his hands dirty.

Ryan, thanks. That would be nice to know.

Motormounts are the easiest thing to fab up. I dont care about that stuff. Intake and exhaust plumbing is even easier.

Bah, we will see. Hopefully just find me a nice cheap Supra.
I'm doing the majority of the swap in my garage, with a little asistance from one of the local shops (welding up an exhaust, downpipe, ETC). I've been pouring through the ECU diagrams as well and have some ideas. Interestingly enough, I have a Supra, NA 2JZ (top end) and IS platform here to make direct comparisions with and have a couple ideas. Thanks god for SF, I can at least get some good tech info from the archives. Over in the IS world I have to get bashed for being a "newbie" :rolleyes: .

and oh yeah,

Welcome to my board "TonyS", can I call you ignorant because your post count mirrors mine over at IS300.net? :D A quick search of my nick will show you what kind of person I am....

Ryan

·
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
They all seem childish over there. I looked there last night and didnt even bother. Anytime somone brought up 2JZGTE they threw a hissie fit. I didnt even bother looking anymore.

Motormounts, engine sump mod. Simple stuff. Wiring, ya its a pain in the butt. I figured use the 2JZGTE wiring harness of course, with the supra ECU. Have to get a IS300 manual to look at the rest of the wiring.

Why are you using a n/a head?

I will be tackling this is my garage too. I figured why not try the IS300, be a nice family car when I get a family someday :D

Casey

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
and oh yeah,

Welcome to my board "TonyS", can I call you ignorant because your post count mirrors mine over at IS300.net? :D A quick search of my nick will show you what kind of person I am....

Ryan
huh? whats ur problem with me? I just posted a link with pictures of IS300GTE 's car from is300.net

chill bro...post counts? u got 370 here.....please...I have almost 4000 and i'm a moderator on is300.net :rolleyes: doesnt matter, I dont base people on post counts like a 16 yr old kid would....honestly, I respect your knowledge....and it was kewl to see u come over to is300.net

I'd like to see more people do a full 2JZ-GTE conversion, but whats the point really just to say you can do it?

for the IS, work on the GE n/a block, custom internals or GTE block, put in a 6 speed...SRT made 752rwhp on one of their IS300's

·
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tsoprano,

Reason why doing a 2JZGTE, esp if I already have a supra for parts. Its 10 TIMES cheaper. The na-t kits for IS300s are insanely high in price. Then you would have to buy everything else. Block, 6speed, head(to support high hp), etc.

Plus you get the 6speed with it. In the end it would probably be a whole lot cheaper. Ive looked around and seen the prices you guys pay for things. But, if you have to buy everything seperate for a 2JZGTE then it would cost a bit more or less.

Plenty of reasons to go with a 2JZGTE, even if there is some modification to be done.

Casey

·
Medium Ballin'
3,024 Posts
http://www.autotuner.org/images/is300/

Like someone else mentioned, with the later block you should be abl eot move the stock motor mounts around to make it fit fairly easily. With an earlier block, Larry had to fabricate a plate to move the mounts.

Other items that needed fabricating was the tranny mount and driveshaft, as far as i can remember. It's a tight fit with the GTE motor and v160 6 spd, but it works. There are some minor issues still being worked out in the car but nothing that's not to be expected with something this in depth.

·
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
bigmike said:
http://www.autotuner.org/images/is300/

Like someone else mentioned, with the later block you should be abl eot move the stock motor mounts around to make it fit fairly easily. With an earlier block, Larry had to fabricate a plate to move the mounts.

Other items that needed fabricating was the tranny mount and driveshaft, as far as i can remember. It's a tight fit with the GTE motor and v160 6 spd, but it works. There are some minor issues still being worked out in the car but nothing that's not to be expected with something this in depth.
yeah, thats Matt from RDM wheels, thats a TOYOMOTO turbo kit! on a 2JZ-GE head on a GTE block with custom internals...

http://www.toyomoto.com/is300.htm

that guy has sepnt over $30,000 between Toyomoto and Autotuner just fyi

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
turbowash said:
They all seem childish over there. I looked there last night and didnt even bother. Anytime somone brought up 2JZGTE they threw a hissie fit. I didnt even bother looking anymore.

Motormounts, engine sump mod. Simple stuff. Wiring, ya its a pain but. I figured use the 2JZGTE wiring harness of course, with the supra ECU. Have to get a IS300 manual to look at the rest of the wiring.

Why are you using a n/a head?

I will be tackling this is my garage too. I figured why not try the IS300, be a nice family car when I get a family someday :D

Casey
Well, in their defense, one of the posters in that thread is a complete MORON. I've just browsed there from time to time but anytime this one individual posted, he proved to be an ass. True though, more people on there would rather have a shop do their work, so simple solutions sometimes require complex steps.

Anyways, the oil pan from the stock 2JZGE can be used on the GTE block. No sump mod *required* in my case. Both blocks are identical (sans internals). I haven't investigated the crank angle sensor, worst case, I'll order the TT oil pump/sensor if I have to.
The fuel system needs to be swapped over to a return style system. Not a big deal if you are comfortable running fuel line and putting together A/N fittings.
My choice of head mainly hinges on the packaging. The NA and TT head have different bolt patterns for the exhaust manifold (and maybe the intake as well, haven't looked). A standard Supra turbo header will not clear and neither will the intake manifold clear. I was going to use a non-VVTI SC300 head, however lack of Cam sensor bosses is proving difficult. Sure, I could run a distributor, but I'd prefer not to. That leaves the option of using the 7MGTE Cam sensor, but it's also driven off the cam :( I want to ditch the requirement for the dist. gear so I can run standard "off the shelf" TT cams. Now I'm looking a little more closely at the VVTI head as it does have a single Cam Angle Sensor boss (TT's have two). In my app though, I only need one ;)
So why all this talk about the CAS? Well, I have ruled out piggybacks and I'm comfortable with the AEM. All I need is a single CAS, a crank angle sensor and I can make the rest work. It will require some creativity of which I'm not lacking :D. The guys over in the IS community are clamoring (all 12 of them :rolleyes: ) trying to get an EMS for the IS produced. I don't want to break their hearts, but it's NOT going to happen anytime soon. Not for a long time, if ever. Discounting the whole liability issue with throttle by wire, there is no hardware support for it. I'm guessing this will require a couple board level changes. Even if this did come to fruition, AEM would be foolish to aim this way. STI, 350Z (IIRC) are all TBW and have the aftermarket's eye. There is money there....I really don't see it here. Which is good I guess, as we're trying to go "low key". Anyways, that's just the tip of the iceberg on where I'm at. This post would be extraordinarily long if I tried to cover everything (if it's not long already!). We're making progress though. There are some challenges (and we're expecting surprises) but difficulty is a relative thing. What is considered "impossible" by my neighbor, "You're putting something like that (points at the Supra's engine) into that??!!, just doesn't strike me as that difficult.

Ryan

·
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
$10,500-$30,000 :ghey:

I plan on doing my whole swap with single turbo kit for less than $8,000-$10,000 if I decided to do a IS300

1 - 20 of 158 Posts