Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Looks like a Supra motor, unless it's had parts changed out on it. The Aristos oil pan is up front, and the water pump is different.

Lastly, I'm not sure on this, but I don't think the Aristo engines used ETCS for traction control, I think they are all setup using TRC. That might not be accurate though.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
so this is a supra motor, correct?
It's funny you should ask because there must have been some year to year changes. Most Aristos had TRC on the throttle body, but I know the luxury Vertex models definitely had ECTS-2 at some time. I would like to know too. Did Toyota put ECTS only on the V8 GS for that bodystyle?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks like a Supra motor, unless it's had parts changed out on it. The Aristos oil pan is up front, and the water pump is different.

+1
The Aristo water pumps have a hydraulic pump on them ( for the cooling fan I think). Those also look like Supra motor mounts. I don't have my aristo motor here, but I think I remember it having cast iron mounts on the block.

·
LAGZILLA
734 Posts
That is a supra engine. has damper on the crankpulley that takes the shock off the crank,in between shifts. I dont think they had manuels also.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That's def a supra motor. Like everyone says, the oil pan is a dead giveaway.

Water pump is not such a good indicator as the later gen 99+ JDM Aristos had identical supra turbo water pumps. But this is obviously a pre <98 motor based on the TB traction control setup.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay guys... saturday is the day im picking up. what do you guys suggest on prepping the motor. the guy says it has less than 60k miles on it. right now ill be replacing the water pump, alternator, spark plugs, belts, and hoses. should i do a whole rebuild with all the gasket thing including valve steam seals?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Valve stem seals would be a whole lot easier with the engine out of the car.
If I were in your shoes, I would definately go through the engine and replace things like..
Valve stem seals
water pump
Timing belt
Timing belt idler
Front main seal
Rear main seal
oil pan gasket
while the cams were out for the valve stem seals, swap in some Arp head studs.
Also depending on how much power you want, you may want to install aftermarket cams also. I'm sure there is more just cant think of any.

Good luck in your venture.

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
any more suggestions... so its not really worth at the moment to replace all the gaskets since the motor has so little miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts