Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Although traditionally a Nissan man, I am planning to possibly put a Toyota engine into my prestine 76 260Z coupe.

I am tossing up between the above mentioned engines, although feel that I dont know enough about them yet. i.e there strengths, weaknesses, weight etc etc.

I can get a 2JZ for 4000AUD or a 1JZ for 1500AUD. I would like to be able to make upto about 400WRHP (and maybe even more one day?) and was wondering if either of these engines would be equally up to the task? I would also like something which is going to be somewhat reliable and not blowing headgaskets every 50,000 miles.

Whats the rap on these engines ?

Cheers
Ray

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Well, first make sure you have the correct car. The 260-Z was only offered as a 1974 model and a 1974 1/2 model. The 280-Z was offered from 1975 through 1978.

There are kits available to drop-in the Chevy small block and total costs, time, effort will be done before you figure out which Toyota motor to use. Why wouldn't you choose to use a Skyline RB26DETT or even a RB25DET motor? I did hear of a Z with a Nissan V-8 from the Q45... now that would be a sweet swap. The V-8 is 2 cylinders shorter than an Inline-6, so weight is set behind the front axle, and the the "V" style block is a lower profile...better handling, plus you get the V-8 torque. I've been wanting to put the Toyota/Lexus 4.3 V8 with a 6-speed in the Supra, a`la Japanese Corvette.

I'm guessing your only concerned with the turbo motors(-GTE's). Depending upon year or model the numbers may vary slightly...
The 7M-GTE is a 3.0 ltr., DOHC, single turbo, rated at 230ps/5600rpm
The 1JZ-GTE is a 2.5 ltr., DOHC, twin turbo, rated at 280ps/6200rpm
The 2JZ-GTE is a 3.0 ltr., DOHC, twin turbo, rated at 280ps/5600pm (U.S. versions 320hp)
All of these are capable of 400 plus hp, though the 7M-GTE did have an inherent head gasket problem.

Good Luck

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I do have the right year. Not sure if you knew but us Australians never received the 280z. Instead they continued the production of the 260z until 1978.Your not the first one to notice though, whenever I mention my cars specs the americans quite quickly point out that I dont even know my own car.

I have looked into all the options are as far as I can see. I have come to the conclusion that I would rather have a T'oed straight six rather than a V8, just because I prefer the feel of a turbo over a big torquey V8. The only real documented ones have been the fords and Chevy V8 transplants. I am not sure that the Q45's have been done before, but I know on some versions the heads are ridiculously wide and would barely scrape into the 260Z oversize bay.

Like I said I have found 1JZGTE for 1500AUD, and the RB25DET for 3000AUD at the same shop! Sure the RB25DET is relatively dead easy to put in, the 1JZGTE has been done and documented before and the price difference doesnt justify it. If I was a very rich man I would put the RB26DETT, but alas I am not.

In australia I can get a 1JZGTE almost as easy as a 7MGTE, so really the only issues between these two engines would be which one can make more power from minimal mods (of course when the money starts flowing more major mods would be on the table), reliability and weight. I have seen the 7MGTE been done, although dont know anyone personally who has done it and have not seen it documented. The 1JZGTE has been done and was fully documented in a car magazine here in Australia.Apaprently that car is pulling 11.9 at the track. At least with that I know what to expect.

Any other opinions/thoughts which may sway me ??

Ray

·
Moved to the dark side
989 Posts
I got experiences with the 7M, the 1JZ and the 2JZ. Currently I'm building the 2JZ into the MA7. For your story I would definately go for the 2JZ. Only because there are way more parts available for this powerplant and it's robust. The 7M suffers from headgasket problems and you need at least an HKS headgasket, new headbolts and an upgraded fuel system to make decent hp's. Don't forget the upgraded turbo. I've run a 7M with 6x550cc and 57mm trim turbo going roundabout 400 hp. The 1JZ is a good engine as well, although upgrades are not easy to get. I've heard the stock twins from the 2JZ are considered an upgrade but I've never seen an 1JZ with the turbos of the mkIV. The engine does like high revving because of it's rather small stroke. The 2JZ, well, I don't have to tell anyone about this. With easy mods already up to 400 hp. If you get a jap spec block, make sure to upgrade to export intake cam, export turbos and export fuel injectors. For the complete wiring you can check out my site at http://www.supras.nl I've got the complete wiring of the export and japan spec 2JZ online.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts