Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this is my first post so I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this And also not sure if there's a thread about this already if so my apologies in advance if so can you guys please provide me a link or something Anyhow this is not another to 2jzgte non vvti vs 2jzgte vvti thread as we know we have A lot of those but This August I will be purchasing GTE vvti Motor swap for my Mk4 SE just had a general question why is the GTE VVT-I so much cheaper then non GTE VVT-I at least here in Southern California?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
In a nut shell even though the vvti engines are better, people still think they are harder to tune, hard to find parts for, limited power, etc. All not true but prices still reflect that old myth. Buy a vvti, save money, get a better engine. It's really that simple.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man your response is appreciated makes sense old mindset still remains on the vvt-i just had me wondering big price difference between both but definitely going vvt-i.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Supply and demand. I think most of the JZS147 Aristos have already been broken down and it's the JZS161 Aristos now and they have the VVTi engine.

Also the VVTi engines were less desirable before because people were unaware of the advantages of the VVTi system.

·
Tree Hugger
816 Posts
in the money I saved getting the vvt-i I paid to having my wiring professionally done. Definitely cheaper because the throttle body setup is more finicky and complicated and causes more issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely seems like a great choice specially at the price point that it is and advantages the vvti System provides definitely a big plus awesome feedback guys I myself will not be doing the swap I will be having the swap done at a shop but nevertheless definitely looking forward to it

·
Registered
135 Posts
There was also the scare of the GE rods being smaller weaker that I believe also drives VVT-i prices down. There is still a lot of trepidation for the VVT-i as far as tuning but I am looking forward to having it work for me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
it was actually more expensive for me to get a vvti 2j because i paid 1400 for a new wiring harness. id assume people avoid the vvti because it is something they are unfamiliar with, and requires a new harness or at least some good wiring work

·
σij Analyst
162 Posts
It really depends on what you're buying. I bought a VVT-i motor out of a Supra. There's probably differences between the Aristo and Supra wiring but it was almost plug-and-play. Minor amounts of repinning involved + wiring power to the DBW system. Besides blowing a starter fuse (plugging in one of the "extra" plugs for the traction control system causes a short), it fired right up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
VVT-i oil pan is different than the Supra. - few $$ to replace

VVT-I uses a different DP as the turbo outlet is different. $250 for new downpipe -> Cat

VVT-I ECU has a different ECU connectors so you need a new harness if you plan to put the ECU in the passenger compartment instead of the engine bay

VVT-I ECU is multiplex so it will not trigger the AC properly (needs relays and some wires to make work.

VVTi uses a different radiator hose and a few more items.

Those are the items i'm running into for a 93 turbo mkiv.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just wished somebody made a patch harness that would allow the factory Supra TT harness to be used for most of the wires and have the extra few wires added to the harness for the missing connectors. I'm stuck building an entirely new harness for the conversion.

·
Registered
945 Posts
There was also the scare of the GE rods being smaller weaker that I believe also drives VVT-i prices down. There is still a lot of trepidation for the VVT-i as far as tuning but I am looking forward to having it work for me.
He is asking about the gte not the ge engine. I just dissassembled a vvti gte and the rods are the same size as my non vvti gte rods.

But I agree with most posters, various reasons are uneducation about vvti and lack of non vvti stock. I bought a vvti because i wanted quicker spool and more power, who doesnt?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts