Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tree Hugger
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finishing up my 2jzgte VVTI swap into a jzs147 gs300

Previously each start up seemed good because the motor was never allowed to run very long without coolant, Filled the system up yesterday and started warming it up to get the air bubbles flushed and noticed as the motor warmed up, my idle dropped from about 800-900 cold start to 100-200 when warm and would stutter and die each time I started unless I gave it gas. It revs fine once you get it away from dying.

I was thinking ecu 2 wire temp sensor on the water neck?

On these vvti jzs161 motors the cold start is done by the ECU and the throttle body (ETCS-I is wired and working w/ 15 amp fuse)

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Make sure your coolant temp sensor is plugged in all the way and if so check if the coolant temp sensor is good. I had the same exact issue and while poking around I seen the the connector clip dried and broke and backed off the sensor just enough to lose contact. I pushed it in all the way and it started up normal with a higher idle for warm up.

·
Registered
299 Posts
From what I saw everything looked okay, but I will play around a bit more with it this weekend. However I did notice that my fan clutch is engaged from the moment of start-up and to be honestly I have no idea how long it has been that way. Could a faulty fan clutch have any bearing on idle?

·
Tree Hugger
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I've never solved this issue, and yesterday I changed out the throttle body thinking that must be why I get a low warm idle but still the problem persists.

Going to change out the 2 wire coolant temp sensor and if that doesn't do anything perhaps an ecu-change. Bugs me so bad that I have to heel-toe constantly when breaking to keep the rpm up to prevent the car from dying. Perfect cold startup... and as the car warms up the idle drops till its sputtering at 450-500rpm.

·
Swole
364 Posts
Mine does this to but randomly vary annoying i still haven't figured it out either

·
Tree Hugger
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New ecu temp sensor didn't do a single thing... So i tightened my throttle cable to compensate. I'm sick of this issue and can't figure it out.

·
Blue Thunder
3,410 Posts
My vvt-i swap has started to do this. Did you try to calibrate your TPS? How abt your idle, did you set it per manual? How abt resetting the ECU? or bad AFM?

IDK, just starting to research my problem. Started after sitting a few weeks.

B

·
Tree Hugger
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are they calibrated the same specs as a 2jzge vvt-i?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts