Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i know i will need a crank sensor and 36 tooth pulley for a vvti head to work on a non vvti block BUT.....

I heard dont know if its true that the oil galleries on the vvti and the non vvti heads are different is this true and if so has anyone fit this combo before?

I have the bottom end together and at a cross road use the na head and delete the dizzy get a gte oil pump and mod the head for a cam sensor

or

Use the vvti head find a 36 tooth pulley carnk sensor and machine the oil gallery to fit.

Am i missing something? any help from someone who has done this combo before would be great. or am i all alone?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,349 Posts
VVT-i and non-VVT-i blocks are the same.

1996+ USDM 2JZ-GE's used the same crank timing pulley as the VVT-i 2JZ-GTE, so getting the right timing pulley is no problem.

1998 USDM 2JZ-GTE used the same crank position sensor as the VVT-i 2JZ-GTE, so getting that is no problem either.

Seems pretty easy to get the parts needed for a VVT-i 2JZ-GTE setup, or you can just use a non-VVT-i 2JZ-GTE head?

Jeff

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you plan on controlling the VVTi? And are you going to run additional wires for it? Or do you have a complete GTE VVTi harness?
i have the complete vvti harness including coils igniter and ecu plugs. i am looking at running a vipec v44 as the tuner i talked to has set up various mivec operating cars (evos) and said the vipec will be able to run the variable timing

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff

In new Zealand the wreckers dont want to dismantle engines for parts which is a pain in the ass. so basically i have to check my pulley and then find a oil pump with a sensor in it. Otherwise a bolt on fit? and i would prefer vvti for that bit extra torque and spool response.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,349 Posts
Didn't see you were in New Zealand. You'll definitely want a GTE pump, and a VVT-i pulley and sensor. You may have to end up buying these new from Toyota, not sure if you'll find them over there used.

Jeff

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't see you were in New Zealand. You'll definitely want a GTE pump, and a VVT-i pulley and sensor. You may have to end up buying these new from Toyota, not sure if you'll find them over there used.

Jeff

yea i have a few guys looking for parts atm. second hand parts down here sucks!!! I would hate to know toyotas price for new. Not cheap i bet. Thanks for the help tho

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are the oil galleries on the vvti head and the non vvti the same? does anyone know? as toyota just told me the head gasket were different because of the oil hole differences?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,349 Posts
No, the head gaskets are the same, well the early non-VVT-i gasket has a different part number, but it changes up to the VVT-i headgasket.

11115-46051 = Non-VVT-i Gasket, Subs to 11115-46052
11115-46052 = VVT-i Gasket

Jeff

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, the head gaskets are the same, well the early non-VVT-i gasket has a different part number, but it changes up to the VVT-i headgasket.

11115-46051 = Non-VVT-i Gasket, Subs to 11115-46052
11115-46052 = VVT-i Gasket

Jeff

so are the oil gallery placements the same on the heads?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok thanks for that from my inspection i couldnt find any difference either. just more people with wrong information found a oil pump just need the sensor now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts