Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appearance aside, hows the performance potential of both cars overall? How does the 2nd gen (say 1990 or 1991 model) compare with the third gen? Is one much easier to work on?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but I would think an RX7 board would be better suited to answer that.

John

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True...but it did say other cars so I figured I'd try....guess I should join one if i'm even thinking about buying one. My friend has a turbo first gen but we've lost touch so I cant really ask him. All I can say is his turbo first gen was pretty sick. Made 336hp at the wheel - putting it down to the ground in 1st 2nd or 3rd was a big problem with the weeny tires.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It really depends on who you ask......I've never worked on a 2nd Gen but I hear its not too different from an FD. (Assuming the 2nd gen is boosted)

And yeah, go the Rx7 forum.....

·
1J Guero
46 Posts
well I have a 93' 5-speed and I have done some minor work on it not that difficult, however in the 3k miles that I have owned it the trans went, otherwise a really fun car, never driven an older model.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the posts, I think it looks like really the best thing is to join an RX7 forum and spend some time reading through and talking to users....

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
FC's are really fun to drive, but obviously lack the mystique and sexier lines of the FD. I love the FD due to it's smaller size, exotic looks, and rarity, but the FC is very affordable and definitely a great car to drive.

LSx swap and call it a day, but the FC's are definitely more reliable than the FD's in terms of engine. Mazda didn't introduce the sequential turbo 13B-REW until the FD as far as I know. :)

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
Whats your goals with either one? I can better answer your question that way? v8 engine swap? Turbo rotary build on the Fc? 3 rotor? a/x? track? strip?

·
Dreamer
1,628 Posts
I haven't driven FD, but FC's are really fun cars. It was PITA to keep it running though, so I eventually sold it but it was fun while it lasted. With about 290rwhp and suspension mods, it was a blast to drive through winding roads. Talking about FC brings back some good memories... :) Anyway, it is harder to make high hp numbers and be reliable with FC. If you are looking for 12 second car, FC is not for you. But if you're looking for cheap car that is really fun to drive, then FC is great. I think it will be fun even with around 250rwhp since the car is pretty light(FD is lighter, though). Just be prepared to spend some time working on it as rotaries are really fragile. You need to always have a good tune and take care of it to make it somewhat reliable. Good luck if you decide to get one. I hear it's better than FD in terms of reliability, though. But I can't really say for sure since I have not owned FD.

·
6,137 Posts
FC is an easy 11 second car

with a v8 swap :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
The suspension geometry on the FD RX-7 is superior to that of the FC RX-7. The car is also lower, wider, and lighter than the FC. I recall a comparison over on the RX-7 boards in which a FC RX-7 and FD RX-7 had a competition around an auto cross course. The FD and FC were similar in power levels, but the FD was 11 seconds faster. Power out of the cars are pretty much the same. Depends on how deep your pockets are.

The overall car design is probably why FD RX-7s are classed in SS with the likes of z06s vipers porsches etc and also why FDs have been able to compete in the Tsukuba time trials. The AWDs are not dominating though.

·
6,137 Posts
dixond said:
word.
I'll be able to comment on the LS1FD in a few days.

totally - looking forward to it as per your PM

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
dixond said:
word.
I'll be able to comment on the LS1FD in a few days.
Another falls to the dark side!

Saw your new purchase on torquecentral, car looks fantastic and you got a great deal as well. I love white FD's :)

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
I have a 1991 FC, they are extremely fun cars, even the NA is fun. However, if you want the better car, the FD is it. But, i intend on making my FC very nice before i get an FD.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually my goal is to have a fun and fast weekend car that doesnt have a very high initial purchase cost. If I get a 3rd gen, then I will be limiting my mods, if I get a 2nd gen, then I can put more towards suspension, brakes and power mods. I'm looking to have about 350hp at the crank if its a 2nd gen. If its a 3rd gen, then the engine will probably remain stock but I will do exhaust and intake mods and thats about it.

I will not swap the engine. I firmly believe that an RX7 should be rotary no matter what anyone says. Its what makes the car special :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts