Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

I’ve been a big fan of Supras for a number of years – easily the best cars in Gran Turismo and Need for Speed :) Easily the coolest looking road car for my money. Well finally I have the funds to take the plunge and have been looking at buying myself a sweet MKIV.

I’ve been looking to buy a Toyota Supra online but wanted to ask a bit of advice before jumping in.

Are there any years that are less reliable than others?
Are there any technical issues that tend to go wrong in Supras and how do I spot them?
What other general things should I look for in a second hand supra?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

·
From the land down under
4,319 Posts
Welcome.

They are all very original questions, so its unlikely that you would have found any answers on here, had you performed a search.

Hopefully some of the more senior members will have the knowledge required to help with your difficult situation.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Service history is a plus, or at least a maintenance log. Worth considering that any Supra is at least 20 years old now, and you're bound to need to be replacing some of the lesser things like bushings, eventually. Keep an eye on rubber parts, they should all be fairly soft. If they're hard and crusty, they're worn out and need replaced. How is the color of the fluids? Clutch fluid tends to get fairly dirty quicker than brake fluid, but still, shouldn't be black as coal either.

How do the fabrics in the interior feel? A car that was garaged will be in better condition than a car that sat outside in the sun all its life. Same goes with the plastics and vinyl in the interior.

On the plus side, they are Toyotas, built at or near the peak of their quality. On the down side, everybody wants one, and often they've been through a lot of hands by now. If the car you find isn't up to your personal standards for the asking price, either try to negotiate (within reason, sometimes you can get a bargain, other times it's a waste of time) or walk away and find another one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
219 Posts
A full clean title of the entire history is a plus, preferably with the log of each time it was registered once per year. Usually it notes the mileage and color, which is another plus. They have come to be more desirable than ever, so that being said, the total problem-free flawless examples are becoming harder and harder to come across, but they're out there. One thing I would recommend doing is compiling a checklist to take with you when you do go to buy one... check for the usual rattles, open up the hood while idling and have someone give it a few revs, listen to the exhaust note, check the VINs and make sure they all match the service history, take it for a test drive and be sure to try out every gear, check for rips, tears, burns, and any imperfections on the interior, check the seals on the targa and doors, and just go through it like you're looking for gold.

As far as the year, none of them are really less or more reliable than others. The 1997 and 1998 model years are more desirable than the earlier models, but they are all technically the same, spare a few aesthetic details, as far as the mechanics go. The 1996 model year only came with a 4-speed automatic as a transmission option on USDM cars, so if you see one with a 6-speed, it was most likely swapped. Also, on targa models, I have heard that a rattle on the targa itself while driving is a perfectly normal and very common issue on them. Other than all of that, like stated above, in the end, it's a Toyota. They are very reliable engines that are designed to last well into the 100's of thousands of miles. Just make sure you ask questions and do a thorough inspection. Often, if it seems to good to be true, it usually is. Such as a 1998 TT 6-speed with 20K miles for $40,000.

Spend the money and be wise about it, take your time, and do not get desperate under any circumstances!

Good luck.

-Coby

·
Registered
202 Posts
My best advice is don't be afraid to wait for the right one.
This %100

I own 2 supra's, Don't get me wrong i love both and both where great deals

if i where to buy one AGAIN with that being said i would make sure it's %100 the right one TRUST one anything un-perfect you'll want to tidy up

The little things in life make it easier if i where you i'd make sure in general all the trims weatherhsields, hatch rubbers i mean EVERYTHING in general is in good condition and well looked after, if not find another one or you'll spend millions :hahano:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts