Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experience this? Car has 157 K and I'm thinking the pressure tank may be bad.

If I build up the rpm's, the second turbo comes on-line just fine. But if I go ahead and floor it and the gear drops (I'm an auto), I can hear the second turbo preparing to come on-line, but it doesn't, unless maybe I take my foot off the gas for a second then push it back down. This doesn't ALWAYS happen, but most of the time it fails to come on-line for me. Sometimes I get lucky.

Anyway, just seeing if anyone else had this prob and what it was. I am assuming a bad pressure tank and TTC will cure this, so I may try temp ttc to see if it cures this.

·
Registered
967 Posts
temp ttc would be a good start. I would think you are headed in the right direction when you say pressure tank. One of the symptoms listed on mkiv.com as a bad pressure tank would be if you are not getting boost on a downshift (would you flooring be the equivalent to a 6spd downshifting?) Did you look into it being the ebv? Ebv actuator is hard to see/get at but the vsv is very out in the open/testable. How long ago did this start happening?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been happening for awhile. Didn't happen too often in the cold weather, but now in these warmer temps I'm getting it A LOT for some reason. :( Yes, flooring causes my downshifting so the pressure tank seems like a good though. Not sure on the ebv or anything about it, but I'll check. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Mark, to some degree this is normal. For instance if you're leisurely cruising, odds are that the car is already in overdrive and it's going to take a bit longer to first downshift and then start to build load, and you will certainly notice the difference from let's say already being in 2nd gear and flooring it.

A quick way to test the pressure tank is to remove the vacuum hose going to your IACV VSV (this line is coming from the pressure tank) after some spirited driving. You should hear pressure being released when you do this.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^^ Thanks for the info. However, if I drop it from even 2nd or third gear, this happens. :(

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
MarksSupra33 said:
^^^^ Thanks for the info. However, if I drop it from even 2nd or third gear, this happens. :(
I used to have this problem. I found a small crack in the rubber vacuum line going to the egcv. I replaced it and it cured my problem. Go over all the vacuum lines and check to make sure they are all hooked up right and have no leaks, wholes, tears etc.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do we have any pix or links to where the egcv is?

·
Registered
967 Posts
MarksSupra33 said:
Do we have any pix or links to where the egcv is?

Do you know where the wastegate actuator and vsv is? Just look DIRECTLY behind that vsv, youll see the vsv for the egcv and the vacuum line related to it, not TOO hard to get to. If you dont happen to know where the wastegate vsv is just follow the vacuum line coming off the turbo closest to the radiator right down to the brass actuator, then follow that hose and so on/so forth. Good call by cwtt above, check out the egcv hose first, then if possible, test the vsv.

·
Registered
967 Posts
to add to this, with 157k on the clock and the car at least 7-12 years old, the vac hoses could replacing anyways as they get brittle after a while.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^^ Yep, they're like plastic hardpipes. I have to cut them bitches out they're so hard.

·
Registered
967 Posts
MarksSupra33 said:
^^^^ Yep, they're like plastic hardpipes. I have to cut them bitches out they're so hard.
The harder they are, the more they will be suspect to having a slit. If the egvc vac hose is hard it may be slit as it comes straight down out of the vsv and curves pretty sharp straight back to the egcv actuator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts