Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
My boss set me on fire!?!
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it arrived. I had the motor out of the clip in 45 min. I stole everything off the clip that I could I did a compression test and it came out at 190 across the board. VERY even. The only aftermarket mod I could see was HKS plugs. Everything else appeared stock. Only one sensor casualty on the removal of the motor and that was the stock EGT sensor.

I did not tear into the motor yet. I need to swap oil pans, turbos, cams, wp and more. Going to clean it up. Has typical Toyota Oil leaks off of the valve covers.

Getting closer!! I can not wait to get it in the car.

Later

Danny

·
EchoDeDupra
4,118 Posts
is there such as thing as too good compression?...

170 is perfect right?

·
My boss set me on fire!?!
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It could be close to 180. (the gauge is stuck ~20 to 25 when it is not on) and I Was getting a little over 200. Either way it is even. I figure the extra compression is from the less duration on the JDM cams.

I got the clip from Venus Auto in Sacramento. Honestly for most people it is a gamble with them. I have purchased a lot through them I (over $50,000) in the past so they tend to take care of me. I have never had a problem with any of the motors from them. THey are by far not the cleanest, but that is where the price comes down from. So many other venders pressure wash their motors before sending them. I personally like a dirty motor so I can see oil leaks, coolant leaks, and such. I know what to change. After it is changed I will clean it up.

Danny

·
Registered
661 Posts
I heard 160-170 is okay. Do higher compression numbers mean there are more carbon deposits in each cylinder??

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Yes, it could be a buildup of carbon... compression results will vary depending on elevation, hot/cold motor, compression gauge, etc. I always used to get 180psi across all 6 cylinders in 2 of my supras... My other supra came out at 160psi across the board (which was a bone stock 98 with less than 30,000 miles). After I installed 264 cams and valve springs/retainers in my single supra, compression dropped from 180 to ~170 in all 6. The most important thing is that the results are even in all of the cylinders.

G

·
So your doing an N/A >>> TT swap? Good luck man and if it's not a problem can you post pics?

Hey Urban Customs, hows your n/a ?

-Dino

1 - 10 of 10 Posts