Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally stopped raining here so I snapped some pics of my setup. It constists of an Eclipse 5303 head unit, Boston Acoustics Pro 6.5's, 3 JL 10w3's, a PPI 2400 (100x2 to the Bostons) and a PPI 2600 (600x1 to the subs), all wired up with Monster Cable, a Rockford Fosgate 1F capacitor, etc etc...

My goal was a completely stealth setup... nothing flashy and obvious to anyone looking in. I also wanted to keep the trunk looking as stock as possible so I wouldn't have to tint the windows. I had the Bostons put in the stock locations.. 6.5 in the doors and the tweeters in the dash. The whole dash had to be removed to get them in, but my installer tweaked the grills so that in the future he can remove them from the top. The trunk turned out better than I hoped... the stock carpet lays flat over everything, the stock subwoofer grill is still in place, and the targa fits perfectly.

Bostons in the door and dash:

Trunk with the carpet covering everything (yes, there's 3 10's and two amps under there..):

Trunk with carpet folded back:

It sounds pretty damn good, even with the top off. Cruising around at 65mph with the roof in the trunk, it's just as loud and clean as it is with the top on.. just a bit of wind noise. I have to turn up the bass a bit (the Eclipse has a separate subwoofer volume control) but it still puts out a pile of bass.

It was all installed by Mark Johnson at Myer-Emco in Fairfax, VA. He also installed an Alpine alarm with built in turbo timer and LCD readout in the dash just below the cd player. I highly recommend him and Nick Lambis at the Fairfax store to anyone in the DC area...

-R

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
yo that looks freekin awesome, good luck! anyone know a website for cheap car stereo equipment? hehe im lookin for a stereo but i dont want to spend too much$$

·
4,417 Posts
Very nice! Sweet install..

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the compliments guys! I forgot to mention that the whole thing is also removable.... The sub-box/amp-rack is 80% fiberglass molded around the bump in the spare tire well (the whole setup doesn't weigh much more than the spare tire and tools that it replaces). It's all blocked off and topped with 3/4" MDF that's bolted to the stock bolt that holds the spare tire in. When I get around to going single I'll need to upgrade the fuel system.. which of course means changing out the fuel pump. When I get to that point, I can just pop out the trim panel, unhook the amps, remove the amp on the right, and the whole box will unbolt from the car and pop out.

-R

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
hey, what site did you buy all those speakers and amps at?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought them all at the shop that did the install. I've never bought car stereo parts online... it seems like there are too many shady sites out there selling stuff. I remember a few years ago if you went to MB Quart's site, the splash page had a big "notice to consumers" that basically said they don't sell their products online, never have, and probably never will. This was basically in response to a number of dodgy online retailers who were selling MB Quart's stuff without authority to do so. Apparently there were even companies selling fake versions of major brands, but they were mostly just selling older models without any kind of warranty.

Eight or nine years ago when I first got into car audio, there were a few companies that advertised catalogs in the back of car stereo magazines where you could get stuff at 60-80% off retail. The catalogs cost $10 but I got one just for the heck of it to see what their story was. Turns out they did sell a lot of brand name stuff at good prices, but the fine print on the page of legal mumbu jumbo said that if they couldn't get the parts your ordered, they'd send you an "equivalent" product. So if you ordered a 12" Rockford sub.. they'd claim they didn't have any, and then send out some generic piece of crap like a Thumper 12" or whatever... 4 or 5 years ago when online retailers started getting big, it seemed like all of those shady catalog companies started up websites that did the same thing. It's probably changed now and I'm sure there are plenty of good online shops now, but I still prefer dealing with an established high end shop like Myer Emco.

-R

·
Registered
200 Posts
Robin - email me, NoVA supra here

Robin I had a question for you and wanted to check the install. Im also in Alexandria, VA and have a custom setup but an interested in doing Boston pro's 6.4"s in the front doors and wanted to see how they made them fit

ALso need someone to tweak my current install and finish it up

Can you tell me if the Myer Emco was the one off Rte 50 near the Price Club

PLEASE EMAIL !! [email protected]

Thanks,
Jim
[email protected]

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jim,

Just shot you an email... let me know if you'll be around tonight or tomorrow after 5 or so and I'd be glad to give you a demo. Otherwise I'll probably be at that GTG in Fredericksburg this weekend and I'll definitely be at AAM's grand opening next weekend.

laters,
R

·
You serious?
2,999 Posts
Here's my setup. 4 10" JL Audio with 2 crossovers/eq's, Huge PPI 606.4 amp and THE TARGA STILL FITS. How do you like dem apples?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice! :bthumb:

BUT.

Can you still lay the factory carpet in there? With the factory subwoofer grill? Do you still have space for a rear strut tower bar? Can you remove it in less than 20 minutes to change out the fuel pump? :D

-R

·
Registered
200 Posts
Formula1Vendetta

Sweet ! !

Do you have more pictures of your installation ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Looks fantastic Robin.

There's no concern about the amps overheating with carpet laying on top of them?

If I were you I would cut the carpet by the subwoofer and maybe put velcro all along that seam. That way you could remove the carpet when you were in the mood and show off your setup.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ToeJamme: thanks man! I'm not really too worried about the amps overheating... instead of the usual heatsink casing like most amps, the PPI's use vents on the sides with a fan inside that pulls air across the circuit boards. There's plenty of open space to the sides of the amps, so the fans are sucking air along just fine. If they start to overheat I'll be highly annoyed, but I doubt it'll happen...

As far as showing off the system, I kinda like it the way it is.. hidden! One of my other cars had a wall with 8 12's... later converted it to 4 18's.. that had a nice "wow!" factor associated with it, but I think it's even better when someone gets in the car, hears it, then looks in the trunk and sees nothing...

-R

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
robin,
Does this guy have a shop? What does he charge for a job like that(if you dont mind me asking)? Does he have a website with other jobs he has done?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
btopus said:
robin,
Does this guy have a shop? What does he charge for a job like that(if you dont mind me asking)? Does he have a website with other jobs he has done?
Actually Myer Emco is a high end retailer for home theater/car audio... they have 6 or 7 shops around the DC area, including some in MD. The usual rate is $1500 a week for big installs, but they have one installer at their Bailey's Crossroads shop that does crazy installs for $$$$$$$...Their work is top notch though. I think they have a website.. just search around for Myer Emco..

-R

1 - 18 of 18 Posts