Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 328 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE 4/27/07 ENGINE IS OUT WITH PICS OF INSIDE ON PAGE 5 :(

UPDATE 4/15/07 THE RED BEAST IS BACK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrrxBTObaQU!

After three long months, the projecct is near complete. The longblock is here and will be going in this week and next. I should have numbers by next weekend. Althought I am pretty sure that I am probably the first supra owner with a 3.4L with a midsize turbo, I want some educated guesses on what kind of power i will be making.

Here are the list of mods:

BC 3.4L, 9.0 CR CP Pistons (upgraded wrist pins), Billet mains, ACL Racing bearings, L19 studs, HKS 1.2mm gasket, fully ported head (flowing ~300cfms)with Supertech +1mm valves, shimless buckets, custom Crane cams, 1000cc injectors, dual oem pumps, Ross Machine Racing Intake Manifold, Wilson throttle body, ITS 74GTX DBB turbo with 0.81 a/r, HKS Type R FMIC, Dual BOV's, RPS Big Torque Header, Tial 44mm wastegate, AEM, RPS C/C clutch, Snow Perfomance Meth kit, HKS 4" Ti exhaust, 4" DP+MP, and all other supporting mods such as new oil and water pump, etc.

I know several 3.0L that have put down in the low 800's at about 30psi with stock head and stock manifold with a 74mm turbo. How much do you this setup should make with the addition of 0.4L in displacement, higher CR, intake manifold, custom cams, and ported head at 32 psi?

I will keep everyone informed with this thread. Many people have PMd me individually and i will promise to keep this thread updated with dyno sheets, etc. The car will be tuned with two maps. One with pump+meth at 23psi. And another map with C16 at 32-34psi.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Very nice and interesting set up!
You are going to max out the turbo right away! I wonder what max boost it will hold?
If everything is effcient, I believe SAE 900+ Rwhp would be a good place to be at. The spool will be awesome for sure.
Keep us updated when you dyno and good luck.
Your engine will be able to handle way more stress if you decide so.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
I know several 3.0L that have put down in the low 800's at about 30psi with stock head and stock manifold with a 74mm turbo. How much do you this setup should make with the addition of 0.4L in displacement, higher CR, intake manifold, custom cams, and ported head at 32 psi?

I will keep everyone informed with this thread. Many people have PMd me individually and i will promise to keep this thread updated with dyno sheets, etc. The car will be tuned with two maps. One with pump+meth at 23psi. And another map with C16 at 32-34psi.
Congrats on getting the car done. It's nice to see projects come together. As for the power, adding displacement does not automatically give you more horsepower. Otherwise all of those V8's with 76's and 80's would be making way more power than our 2j's and they are not. Displacement will allow you to injest the same amount of air (make the same power) at a lower boost level. You will notice that you will max out your turbo at a lower boost than someone with a 3L would.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Congrats on getting the car done. It's nice to see projects come together. As for the power, adding displacement does not automatically give you more horsepower. Otherwise all of those V8's with 76's and 80's would be making way more power than our 2j's and they are not. Displacement will allow you to injest the same amount of air (make the same power) at a lower boost level. You will notice that you will max out your turbo at a lower boost than someone with a 3L would.
True as far as the V8s but a viper is able to make similar power but with alot less psi. So would you say that with 3.4, crane cams, ported head and intake that at 32psi, i would be making power of someone making 38-40psi?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Like Mark says, its all about airflow. The size of turbo is what determines max power. All the displacement does is shift your powerband.

·
Inline for the win
4,752 Posts
914 RWHP

I think you will get tons more power with a different exhaust manifold and I bet you max out that exhaust housing quickly. I imagine your aware, but history showed that boost creep was a result from running 4" exhaust on that header from RPS.

This is just a thought...

DP

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i love this set up, this has been my dream set up ever since i got into supras, i bet that car is going to be a street killerr, with a turbo like that, and the spool!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!

i predict......908rwhp

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
914 RWHP

I think you will get tons more power with a different exhaust manifold and I bet you max out that exhaust housing quickly. I imagine your aware, but history showed that boost creep was a result from running 4" exhaust on that header from RPS.

This is just a thought...

DP
When the car was 3.0, i had the exact same turbo, header and exhaust and did not have any boost creep issues. I know people with the regular RPS headers had some issues but it sounded more like urban legend. This is the Big Torque header which not many people ever bought and has different style of runners. I ran 25psi with exact same exhaust, header and DP and it had no problem staying rock solid at 25psi all the way to 7500rpm. We will see how it will work with the new setup.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Would be interesting to see. And maybe later you may just want to try the 0.96 A/R to compare peak HP. IMO the bigger A/R will probably result in more HP.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
When the car was 3.0, i had the exact same turbo, header and exhaust and did not have any boost creep issues. I know people with the regular RPS headers had some issues but it sounded more like urban legend. This is the Big Torque header which not many people ever bought and has different style of runners. I ran 25psi with exact same exhaust, header and DP and it had no problem staying rock solid at 25psi all the way to 7500rpm. We will see how it will work with the new setup.
Glad to see it coming together! As we've talked, that's pretty much the same setup I'd like to build (though I might go a half-point higher in CR), so I'm really interested to hear the results and how it feels from a throttle response standpoint. Regarding boost, it's hard to say, but I'm guessing that you won't be able to keep it any below 25 PSI at 8K RPM, and it might spike to 30+ at 8500. I have the RPS header (not BT, but looks like the same collector/WG port configuration IIRC). They work fine on a 3" exhaust or a small turbine side, but when you go to a large exhaust and big free-flowing turbine, the boost creep issue definitely is real (there's a big thread on it somewhere that I started). With the biggest WG port I could fabricate onto the back side of the collector (a little over 50mm ID feeding an HKS GTII) and I can control boost to 18 or so up to 7K RPM, but it'll spike to 24 PSI at 8K RPM. Once it starts spiking, it goes up FAST. On the old 38mm WG it would spike from 18 PSI to 30 PSI between 6K and 7K RPM. I say all that to let you know that you should check it out carefully so you know what will happen if you rev it higher. It might control boost fine to 7500, but hit 40 PSI at 8500. You ARE going to spin that thing to at least 8500 aren't you???:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

Good luck with it man! I don't know how the X wheel flows, I'm guessing you should break the 900 mark by a bit. :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
10,587 Posts
^^^Agree with this completely. Alpha, check out posts from board member Silvino as well. He had the RPS Big Torque manifold and had pretty serious boost creep issues as well. Best of luck with everything.

Ken.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad to see it coming together! As we've talked, that's pretty much the same setup I'd like to build (though I might go a half-point higher in CR), so I'm really interested to hear the results and how it feels from a throttle response standpoint. Regarding boost, it's hard to say, but I'm guessing that you won't be able to keep it any below 25 PSI at 8K RPM, and it might spike to 30+ at 8500. I have the RPS header (not BT, but looks like the same collector/WG port configuration IIRC). They work fine on a 3" exhaust or a small turbine side, but when you go to a large exhaust and big free-flowing turbine, the boost creep issue definitely is real (there's a big thread on it somewhere that I started). With the biggest WG port I could fabricate onto the back side of the collector (a little over 50mm ID feeding an HKS GTII) and I can control boost to 18 or so up to 7K RPM, but it'll spike to 24 PSI at 8K RPM. Once it starts spiking, it goes up FAST. On the old 38mm WG it would spike from 18 PSI to 30 PSI between 6K and 7K RPM. I say all that to let you know that you should check it out carefully so you know what will happen if you rev it higher. It might control boost fine to 7500, but hit 40 PSI at 8500. You ARE going to spin that thing to at least 8500 aren't you???:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

Good luck with it man! I don't know how the X wheel flows, I'm guessing you should break the 900 mark by a bit. :bigthumb:

Oh yes, we have definitely talked about this before. And I read all the threads by Silvino. I am not sure if the Tial 44mm WG makes a difference. But Tracy had tuned the car to 25psi with the exact same header, exhaust and turbo when it was 3L and it kept rock solid to 7800RPM. We did not go above that.

With the increas in stroke and higher piston speeds, i will not rev this puppy beyond 7800RPM myself. I know there are guys that spin their 3.4L to 9500 and so on, but i don't have the time or patience for something to go wrong and there goes my 20K engine. But it will be interesting no matter what!

1 - 20 of 328 Posts