Supra Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
do you guys realize how little of a difference this would make either way?

and youre one of the people that hear something and take it for 100% bible truth that i was talking about, kid.

i say do whatever is easier so you can move on to some important things.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
outofstep said:
The best turbo exhaust is no turbo exhaust. That is truth, noobie.
you know...i was gonna just let this die and not really care...BUT then i saw someone decided to give me negative rep points because they disagreed with what i said...and being the vindictive bastard i am...and since i dont know which one of you homos did it...i figured i would just retort in here...

now...as far as the "keeping the heat in the turbine to increase gas velocity speeds" being BS....

lets see....why in the hell would people put heat shields, and turbo blankets on their exhaust housings? every performance shop in the world will say the same thing: to keep heat in the turbine to increase gas speed.... hmmmm ....with a downpipe you would essentially be doing the same thing...

PROOF:

http://www.horsepowerinabox.com/HPIAB2/category60_1.htm
"The Blanket is designed to retain the heat in the turbo, reducing the loss of energy/heat from the turbo. This in turn gives the turbo earlier spooling and greater horsepower potential. Back to Back Dyno Testing verifies a performance increase from fitting the blanket."

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/4.16/00000001/catalog/c310.html
"Our MSA heat blanket isolates your turbocharger from the engine compartment, keeping the hot air where it belongs. Insulating the turbo keeps exhaust gasses moving at top speed, improving turbo response and retaining boost pressure."

http://www.jscspeed.com/universal/thermotec.htm
scroll to bottom for turbo blanket
"The Turbo Kit was designed to protect, improve performance, and eliminate turbo lag of a turbo charger. This complete kit, to contain the heat produced by a turbo, fits a wide variety of turbines."

i could keep going....

heat increases gas speeds REGARDLESS of where it is....granted its not AS important as say the manifold BUT it will still help.

now onto the size of the exhaust.... you keep thinking that bigger is better...BUT ITS NOT. PERIOD.

i dont know how you can argue with dyno results? its been proven tmie and time again, that bigger pipe doesnt help unless you are at higher hp levels...like i stated before 500ish+ would be where 3.5inch would show gains...and 700+ would be 4inch.... yeah MAYBE youll gain 1-5 hp below those numbers per size piping BUT its not worth it....not only that but an exhaust too big for the turbine WILL produce uneccessary lag....

as for an open downpipe being better then a full exhaust...again not really true...I WISH randy would come in here...i am almost positive it was him who did a dyno test of three runs in a row for his DDP.... first run was the normal 3 inch with 3inch catback...then second run was ddp with 3inch catback... he gains like 30hp with the ddp...THEN he left the ddp on and took off the catback and LOST like 10-15hp i think it was.....

i DO know a little something about physics bob....but even if i knew shit ... the fact that im correct in this case wouldnt change.

but whatever im glad someone had fun with the stupid rep system that really doesnt mean shit...and you guys can believe who you want and build what you want....

·
Registered
620 Posts
IdealSupra said:
you know...i was gonna just let this die and not really care...BUT then i saw someone decided to give me negative rep points because they disagreed with what i said...and being the vindictive bastard i am...and since i dont know which one of you homos did it...i figured i would just retort in here...

now...as far as the "keeping the heat in the turbine to increase gas velocity speeds" being BS....

lets see....why in the hell would people put heat shields, and turbo blankets on their exhaust housings? every performance shop in the world will say the same thing: to keep heat in the turbine to increase gas speed.... hmmmm ....with a downpipe you would essentially be doing the same thing...

No you would not... to use your own words against you... physics is physics is physics. Face it, you're wrong, we're right. Grow up, suck it up, be a man, and move on.

now onto the size of the exhaust.... you keep thinking that bigger is better...BUT ITS NOT. PERIOD. i dont know how you can argue with dyno results? its been proven tmie and time again, that bigger pipe doesnt help unless you are at higher hp levels...like i stated before 500ish+ would be where 3.5inch would show gains...and 700+ would be 4inch....

I don't know how you can argue with dyno results....

SP67 with a 4" exhaust. Stock internals. Definitely below the 700+ you're stating.

i DO know a little something about physics bob....but even if i knew shit ... the fact that im correct in this case wouldnt change.
What planet are you living on? If you're correct, then prove it. Period.

The problem is that you do indeed know shit.

BTW, my name is Robb, not bob. Being illiterate doesn't help your credidbility here.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Wow I thought id let this thread die too...rofl

Jayson, I cant beleaive you actually said having a little backpressure for the turbo will make the exhaust hotter and it is good for it :rolleyes:

Ok, turbine spinning in one direction at 100k rpm...yah lets put some backpressure on it thats gonna help it tons and tons...cuz it creates that extra 20 degrees we need! Forget about turbine restrictions and shit! :blah:

I am no freakin scientist but a piston pushing exhaust out works differntly then a turbine wheel's exhuast...u dont want any restrictions after the exhaust of high rpm turbine...

Just because someone has lost horsepower when taking off a catback doesnt mean shit...we can argue about different conditions like heatsoak all day. :dunno:

Even you said it jayson...physics is physics is physics...your contradicting your own words :bigthumb:

I know your a smart guy Jayson...your not stupid and your experienced...alot more then most of the retards on the forums (pardon me :) ), but yah those are some stupid statements...

3.5" DDP on a turbo housing that actually has a 3.5" outlet is fine...otherwise 3" on ct26...only because its a hell of alot easier to fit and the piping is cheaper ect...

bottom line is that the stock elbow blows ass, anything better is a abig upgrade. I do want to push around 400-450 so my 3.5" catback is more of an investment...not because I know it will make more power because that is something I will agree with you Jayson.

An exhaust system is something that you might want to plan with because it costs alot of money and you dont really want to redo shit all the time as your goals change...just a thought

Anyways please let this thread die...kthx :takethat:

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
Robbman said:
No you would not... to use your own words against you... physics is physics is physics. Face it, you're wrong, we're right. Grow up, suck it up, be a man, and move on.

I don't know how you can argue with dyno results....

SP67 with a 4" exhaust. Stock internals. Definitely below the 700+ you're stating.

What planet are you living on? If you're correct, then prove it. Period.

The problem is that you do indeed know shit.

BTW, my name is Robb, not bob. Being illiterate doesn't help your credidbility here.

1) what is your first response with my quote pertaining too? i provide PROOF...and all you can say is youre right im wrong? riiiiiiiiiiight...

2) umm so a dyno chart with a 4inch dp...wow congrats.... if you would like to give me more info...as in if there is a run on there with a 3inch or 3.5 inch to compare it to? EVERY turbo will respond differently to exhaust piping...i would THINK you know this...so obviously the 500hp 700hp isnt a rule simply a guideline...and the whole argument here was with a damn 60-1 turbo...not a fucking sp67...BIG difference...

3) haha how ironic...i know your name is rob... OUTOFSTEP's name is BOB...hence whom i was talking to...maybe you should take your own advice...

4) so far you havent proved shit...i can post up a bunch of dyno sheets to but unless they have comparitive results they dont mean shit....

5) my MAIN arguement is based upon him stating the ct26 setup 60-1 or not...then you guys are bringing in all these larger sized turbos...which will OBVIOUSLY respond better with slightly bigger piping...however i still think the main idea is to MAXIMIZE your power gains and to do that you MUST have the correctly matched piping for turbo...why in the hell doesnt FERARRI use 4inch piping with their turbocharged cars? oh wait...they specifically created exhaust piping that flexes depending upong RPM to create more size when needed....unfortuently we cant do this so we must find the balance for the maximum power gain....

and dan...no just stop...ive proved you wrong before and i WILL do it again without breaking a sweat...hell everything you just said i had already proved incorrect with my previous post.....i never said backpressure was good for the turbo..i said without a bit of it you WILL have turbo lag that is uneccessary...which again comes to finding the balance...and the turbine outlet on a ct26 housing is like 2.5inches...again smaller turbo..WILL NOT see worthwhile gains from the bigger piping... :rolleyes:

EVEN THE GOD OF TURBOS HIMSELF CORKY BELL...says that 3inch piping doesnt become a restriction until the 450hp mark...you gonna argue with HIM too? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
IdealSupra said:
you still need that exhaust gas to stay in the turbine LONG ENOUGH to actually turn it...if you ran open turbo...it just kick out with nothing staying in spooling the turbo...it NEEDS something there...

how come all the drag turbo cars dont run open exhaust side on the turbo? for this exact reason...the run a nice big pipe and have it come out there side further down or the back like normal....

why is it NO ONE understands the concept of exhuast gas velocity...im not gonna KEEP teaching the concept over and over again...i feel like im making this arguement at least once a week.
Yah this thread turned into another "who is right" war...gay.

Yah as usual Jayson you never proved me wrong with anything I just always quit arguing a stupid argument...lol until there is clear proof that a large diameter exhaust will gain horespower over a 3" pipe dont say a peep...same with 3.5" not being benificial, but theres nothing wrong with going bigger on a turbo car...

So yah im done with this thread I thought I could just say my opinion about bigger exhausts...instead I get hammered by jayson thinking hes a exhaust gas scientist... :rolleyes:

let us know when your done feeding your pet named ego...

·
Registered
620 Posts
1) You have provided two things,,, jack and shit. Neither of which is PROOF. So far, you've done the exact same thing, saying you're right and everyone else is wrong. We could play this game forever, but I have better things to do with my time than play mind games with teenager.

2) It's a heck of a lot more than you've provided... ante up.

3)Irony, somewhat (I made the first reference to your claimed knowledge of physics, not Bob) . Illiteracy, no. You still didn't spell my name right.

4)You're the one making the claims, pull your head out of your wazoo, clean the crap out of your ears, and give us the proof. Quoting the same crap over and over again is the reason why people think CT20Bs exist, the reason why people say you can't make 600hp on stock internals, etc, etc, etc.

If you're going to make a claim, back it up. It may take years to find the answer to that claim, but once you have the proof, no one can argue with it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hmmmm... :blah: i wish my own thread would die! :dunno: Ive got what i need in between all the BSing thats going on... thanks 2 all who were helpful. Goodnight lets put this bed.

·
2,279 Posts
EVEN THE GOD OF TURBOS HIMSELF CORKY BELL...says that 3inch piping doesnt become a restriction until the 450hp mark...you gonna
No. Bell said, “the best turbo exhaust is no exhaust.” I gave you a link to where you can buy his books. Try them out, they will teach you a lot.

Since you keep on try to talking physics, let me throw something at you. If you truly understand it, you will immediately stop with all these bullshit posts. p + .5pV^2 + pgh. This is the basic concept of how a turbo works. It flies in the face of all the pseudoscience you keep trying to spout. Seriously though, anyone with any decent amount of schooling knows this. What you are doing is the equivalent of trying to tell us all that you’ve made right triangles that don’t conform to Pythagorean. Sorry, but no. It doesn’t work that way.

As to heat in the turbine itself, refer back to the first equation. Heat shields, turbo blankets, et. all, first and foremost are designed to shield the rest of the engine bay from heat. Mainly the compressor side. I don’t care what some good ol boy says from a random website. It’s a sales pitch to hock more units. How do I know this? Oh yeah, refer back to Bernouli's equation.

I'm done. No more free remedial education classes for the high school kid crowd.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts