Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,

This question goes out to the wheel guru's out there.

I have 3 piece wheels (DP Carerra Cup) and I've had a problem with the rim leaking. The reason for the leak is that the silicone bead on the inside of the rim is toast. I tried fixing it by cleaning out the old silicone and used urethane (same as that used for windshield installation). But that was short lived because when I took the tire off last week I found the entire strip of urethane didn't adhere to the rim properly.

Now to the question. What would be the right product to use to reseal the rim? I've been told to NOT use silicone that smells like vinegar and that I am to use the kind that doesn't. If that is true which brand do I need to buy?

I want to use the urethane again because of it's high strength and flexibility (can't can't use silicone/urethane that gets hard, must remain flexible), but this time I want to prep the surface better so I get proper adhesion this time around. What would be the best thing to do to ensure I get the best adhesion possible? So far I've cleaned the area completely by wire brushing it to remove all previous silicone/urethane traces followed by using some brake cleaner to ensure the grooves and surface around it is free of any debris. So now the area is super clean and ready for sealing. I'm thinking about using the same primer that is windshield shops put around the window frame prior to laying the bead of urethane down. Would this work?

I've posted a pic of the prepared surface below to show those what part of the wheel needs to be sealed, (i.e. the 2 grooves close to each other is where the 3 pieces are joined together is what needs to be sealed)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Danny

PS. To prevent this from going off topic, that is NOT a crack in the rim near the lip at the top. It's a piece of rubber

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
SUPRA180 said:
to get the BEST adhesion possible you can weld it.....i know racing hart multi piece rims have the lips welded on
I was thinking about the welding option, but I'm worried about the rim getting distorded due to the heat because that is a lot of welding to do. That will just add to the repair cost by having to get the wheel straightened after the welding process.

Danny

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
FWIW, CCW told me you have to clean the rim w/ denatured alcohol before you apply new silicone. I'd contact wheel manufacturers and run what they recommend.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
CCW recommends using commercial grade clear window calking. That's what I used when I put my wheel back together...no problems here.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WhiteBlazze said:
CCW recommends using commercial grade clear window calking. That's what I used when I put my wheel back together...no problems here.

Do you remember which particular brand you used? I just want to make sure I get the correct one.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Danny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts