Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference between 3 piece wheels and normal 1 piece wheels? Obviously, they're made of 3 pieces, but why are they so expensive?

Bigger dish? Can be made wider (hard to find wheels 10+ inches wide)?

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Lighter, parts are replaceable, and look better

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
no.

but i don't think 3 piece wheels are lighter. 3 piece wheels are usually custom made to your specs and not mass produced. that is the biggest reason they are generally more expensive.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
For the most part they are. spun aluminum outer, forged center yea they are lighter, and stronger

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So do any companies make 10 inch + wide wheels that aren't 3 piece for prices that aren't ridiculous?

·
Black is Faster!
425 Posts
SdSupraTT said:
of course it only comes in 19 inch, not good for supras... :(
And why not? I know of several... that roll on 19's... yea, you have to run slimmer profile tires=less traction, other than that... there is no problem. These companies like CCW/Volk aren't making these big (diameter) and wide wheels for hondas... who do you think they are making them for?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
i believe he is saying that because of the traction issue. its hard to catch grip on 19's...and supras have a bad enough time with traction.

K

·
0 Posts
Hello

I have the Forgeline RS3 3 Peice wheels. If you damage a 3 piece ie curb rash, you can replace the lip. Also if you want a bigger wheel, you put a wide body kit on etc, you can send them in and forgeline can widen them to your specifications easily.
Weights:
Stock Wheel with new tires: 47.5 pounds
Forgeline 3 piece with new tires: (265) 18*10: 50.5 Pounds
Jason

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
My 19x11 CCW weights 22lbs and it's a 1pc forged wheel (strong as hell). And they go to 12" wide for sure but I think there is a 13".... Not positive on the 13" though.

These grip fine to me, not any worse than when I had the 18" Volks on the car.

·
Making a ComeBack!
1,058 Posts
It is also cheaper if u wants to change the design on the rim, u can just order just the centerpiece and replace the old 1. It cost me 600$ form HRE to go to a new design (each). Vs. the 5000$ u would normally pay for the set.

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
whizky said:
It is also cheaper if u wants to change the design on the rim, u can just order just the centerpiece and replace the old 1. It cost me 600$ form HRE to go to a new design (each). Vs. the 5000$ u would normally pay for the set.
Damn!!! 2400 dollars to change the center section. That's just as much as my wheels, total. Mine aren't cheap either, 18x10 and 18x11 two-piece.

·
Black is Faster!
425 Posts
Sean, are those the exact wheels that Ryan Woon put on the QS car? His are 1 piece as well?

They look AMAZING by the way!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I like the new CCW split spoke wheels they look great. Since I changed over to mustangs I noticed how similar they look to the Steeda Ultra-Lite II. I've seen these on a local black convertible and I'm in love.

Since seeing pictures of the CCW split spokes, I'm sold. I'm still waiting to hear back from John about the sizes available but I sure do hope he can do a set of 18x9.5 for me. Good shit guys!

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
Yes :) I ordered mine 1 hour after the first set in the US was ordered (for the Supra) but I think John said I was the first to recieve a set (woohoo!). But I sat on them for like 3 weeks before my tires got here though. They look so much better in person but the only thing about them that I don't like is the center caps (which is why I don't have them on). I'm hoping John will make a better looking one otherwise I'm going to have a machine shop make me some flush ones.

Caughron said:
Sean, are those the exact wheels that Ryan Woon put on the QS car? His are 1 piece as well?

They look AMAZING by the way!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the SSR GT-3 series wheels, 18x10 rear 18x9 front. They Look killer and responde nicely too on the street.
(true 3 piece wheels)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts