Supra Forums banner

3000 pipe polish...

3K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  Bishop92T 
#1 ·
ok...this is my second try at polishing aluminum, and here it is. I used 80 grit to knock off the pits and raises, and casting lines on the aluminum...then i used 200, 600, 1500 to get it smooth...and then i rubbed it down with very fine steel wool..im not sure if anyone tried steel wool, but its GREAT!!! the aluminum shines like a mirror! check it out, i would like to know if anyone has tried steel wool to polish metals

#29 ·
i have bought Black & decker mouse sander. That helps in getting through the pits... BUT it leaves its own swirly mars.. which need to be hand sanded out. Ive found when polishing pipes, ect, if you cut the sand paper into strips (about 1" wide and as long as possible) you can go around the pipe and pull back n forth... its works well... since it gets boring quickly to hand sand.

you should go to home depot in the tools section they have a buffing kit made for drills, it comes wirth compund and only costs $12.

#31 ·
a70 said:
i have bought Black & decker mouse sander. That helps in getting through the pits... BUT it leaves its own swirly mars.. which need to be hand sanded out. Ive found when polishing pipes, ect, if you cut the sand paper into strips (about 1" wide and as long as possible) you can go around the pipe and pull back n forth... its works well... since it gets boring quickly to hand sand.

you should go to home depot in the tools section they have a buffing kit made for drills, it comes wirth compund and only costs $12.
hmm...sounds good :-D ill do that :D

#33 ·
Bishop92T said:
HKS 3000 pipe is definitely superior for flow, the stock 3000 pipe can almost fit inside the HKS pipe. I personally wouldn't waste time polishing the stock 3000 pipe, it's a major bottleneck which should be removed.
Couldn't you just remove the restriction where the 3000 pipe bottlenecks? It's 2.5 inches in diameter going into the throttle body.
What the shop is doing for my defcon Hardpipes is hacking off the bottle neck to the 3000 pipe and then welding the hardpipes to fit the end so that everything is fluid. This way I keep the stock mounting sites and makes for a cleaner install. Instead of having the defcon pipes only held in place by the throttle body coupler.

#34 ·
suprakikdurass said:
Couldn't you just remove the restriction where the 3000 pipe bottlenecks? It's 2.5 inches in diameter going into the throttle body.
You could, but the HKS 3000 pipe would still be bigger. The stock 3000 pipe at it's largest point isn't as big as the HKS 3000. If my HKS 3000 pipe hadn't come with my HKS IC kit I would have simply made my own 3000 pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.