Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3000GT V-4
Does the Active Aero system drop the car at all? I was told it did. I thought it just activated the spoiler system. The car remained at the same height. The suspension may stiffen up when activated I'm not sure.

I also hear people say the transmission in the car is weak, lookin at some specs on line I found the transmission was a Getrag? Wonder why that 6 speed trans is weak? any inf will help, thanks

Scott

·
Registered
126 Posts
myrpmredline said:
3000GT V-4
Does the Active Aero system drop the car at all? I was told it did. I thought it just activated the spoiler system. The car remained at the same height. The suspension may stiffen up when activated I'm not sure.

I also hear people say the transmission in the car is weak, lookin at some specs on line I found the transmission was a Getrag? Wonder why that 6 speed trans is weak? any inf will help, thanks

Scott
When you enable active aero, the rear spoiler goes up. there's also a black panel under the front bumper which comes down about 2". the actual height of the car stays the same.
What they may have been refering to is ECS (electronic controlled suspension) found in 91-96 models. It doesn't lower the car either, but it switches the ride quality from tour to sport mode(stiffer).

moving on to the tranny:
it's not weak. it can handle large amounts of power without modification. It can't, however, handle abusive driving. what i mean by that is 5K clutch dumps all the time. If you are looking at buying one, make sure it hasn't been abused and the tranny shifts smoothly. Then all you have to do is take care of it, and it will treat you nice.
I bought mine 3½ years ago with 30K miles, it has 62K right now and it has yet to give me any problems.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had two 300ZX TT's and my Supra TT. The 3000GT V-4 seems like one hell of a car. I must research on what years are the best.

Thanks for the reply

·
il faut voir pour savoir
956 Posts
Scott, I just wrote up all the information concerning the VR-4 drivetrain and its issues, but SupraForums decided to clear my cookies and I lost the post. :(

Cliffnotes: '91-92.5: Al transfer case, 18spline output shaft = weak
'92.5-'99: 25-spline output shaft = stronger
'94-'99: steel transfer case = stronger

I have also heard light internet rumors that the 6-spd is weaker than the 5-spd Getrag but have not seen any conclusive evidence.

Your car collection is very impressive, and I think a 3000GT VR-4 would be the perfect addition. :bigthumb:

-Ryan :)

·
Banned
3,794 Posts
lawdogg said:
Scott, I just wrote up all the information concerning the VR-4 drivetrain and its issues, but SupraForums decided to clear my cookies and I lost the post. :(

Cliffnotes: '91-92.5: Al transfer case, 18spline output shaft = weak
'92.5-'99: 25-spline output shaft = stronger
'94-'99: steel transfer case = stronger

I have also heard light internet rumors that the 6-spd is weaker than the 5-spd Getrag but have not seen any conclusive evidence.

Your car collection is very impressive, and I think a 3000GT VR-4 would be the perfect addition. :bigthumb:

-Ryan :)
the 6spd's actual transmission case is weaker than the 5spd case, but the t-case is stronger, go figure, mitsu gave 5spd's a stronger tranny and a weaker t-case, exactly the opposite for 6spds :stickpoke

mechanically, in the 1st gens, 92.5-93 are more superior(5spd, 25spline t-case, 4bolt mains etc)
2nd gens 94-95 are superior because of logging abilities, 6spd etc etc.

now the tranny problems start showing after you are making above 500awhp and doing high rpm launches. as been said, treat it right and it'll treat you good.
mostly you gotta load up the drivetrain when launching so that the initial shock doesnt break stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts