Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it will never besupra, but i need your opinions on it. How well does it take mods (BPU) What brakes on them, and just an overall opinion.I am thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The 3000gt, especially the 1999, is a very respectable car. They corrected many of the problems that the earlier generation had been prone to. Also the 1999 was the best looking of all of the models. As fas as performance goes, check out www.dynamicracing.com. They will have just about all the parts and information that you would need. These cars respond very well to mods, but they could have used bigger turbos from the factory. The stock 9b turbos are very small and can't push much past 14 psi before it is just blowing hot air. Also, the power drops off a little bit after about 5000rpm due to the small turbo size. The turbos are fairly easy to swap out (as opposed to my 300zx TT) and wi9ll make a huge differance. These are some of my favorite cars, and I would highly recomend them.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
99 is the heaviest year. Do some research on 3si.org there's always tons of threads with people talking about different issues they've had. You'll learn alot just by reading it for a few weeks.

·
!black
4,622 Posts
mifesto said:
the car looks so badazz on paper but EVERY review i've read, the car feels like a boat.

I was chassing down MUCH faster cars in my 93 VR4 at road atlanta.

AWD + very good brakes, 20$ cooling mods (hehehe...) = late braking and powering out of the corners w/ the AWD. I thought it handled quite well for it's weigh. Yes, they're heavy... but I was ~200shy of a stock mkiv.

When Best Motoring did their "final battle", the GTO MR beat the supra around their road course.

Pig on rollerskates :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
They are a bitch to work on if you are going to do it yourself. You have to pull the intake manifold just to change the spark plugs. But they are a damn nice looking car.

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
They look nice, but they're heavy as shit.

The interior is also very cushy, I always disliked the 3000GT seats, not very sporty at all. Feel like they belong in a dentist's office.

·
!black
4,622 Posts
mkiv808 said:

The interior is also very cushy, I always disliked the 3000GT seats, not very sporty at all. Feel like they belong in a dentist's office.

A 3000GT was never ment to be a sports car. It's a GT cruiser. You could crank it up to 120 on the autobahn and it would be rock stable all day long. If you've ever taken one up to speed, you know what I'm talking about. They're cushy like my lexus, but on long trips they felt great.

A supra was never ment to be a pure "sports" car either, but it's much closer with it's slightly lighter weight and suspension layout.
I'm not a fan of mkiv seats, I slide in those :lol:

·
!black
4,622 Posts
91TalonAWD said:
They are a bitch to work on if you are going to do it yourself. You have to pull the intake manifold just to change the spark plugs. But they are a damn nice looking car.

Never worked on a NA 2JZ motor either I take it? :)

I could remove the intake manifold and everything else with it in a few minutes. It's really not difficult once you do it a few times. But yes, any V-series motor is going to be a tighter workspace than an inline6

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
MadMaxx said:
A 3000GT was never ment to be a sports car. It's a GT cruiser. You could crank it up to 120 on the autobahn and it would be rock stable all day long. If you've ever taken one up to speed, you know what I'm talking about. They're cushy like my lexus, but on long trips they felt great.

A supra was never ment to be a pure "sports" car either, but it's much closer with it's slightly lighter weight and suspension layout.
I'm not a fan of mkiv seats, I slide in those :lol:
werd, on the highway at triple digits they are very stable and IMO quite comfortable for long trips. I drove one out from IL to AZ a few years ago and it was great. Never worked on one though.

Also the 1999 was the best looking of all of the models.
Really? Says who?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Really? I never felt comfortable in my 95 VR4 and I'm not even very tall but it seemed like I was always about to hit my head on something.
mkiv808 said:

·
!black
4,622 Posts
davidX said:
Really? I never felt comfortable in my 95 VR4 and I'm not even very tall but it seemed like I was always about to hit my head on something.

I seem to have less headroom in my SC300 than my old VR4 :dunno:

It may be the sunroof...both of my VR4's were hardtops and my SC is a sunroof car.

I personally like Gen1 cars the best. Then again, I'm a sucker for popup headlights.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Ya, I had the crappy non power sunroof in my VR4. I was never a fan of the 1g personally.

MadMaxx said:
I seem to have less headroom in my SC300 than my old VR4 :dunno:

It may be the sunroof...both of my VR4's were hardtops and my SC is a sunroof car.

I personally like Gen1 cars the best. Then again, I'm a sucker for popup headlights.

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
davidX said:
Well, I had a 98 SL for a while, and I thought the seats were pretty comfortable. Not necessarily the headroom, but the seats by themselves.

It was an ok car, but my least favorite that I've owned. The VR4 is obviously a lot more fun, but it feels too weighted (I've driven a few). That was one of my biggest issues with the Supra, the feeling of heaviness and the lack of steering response/feedback, and it's even worse on the VR4. That's not to say they don't have good qualities.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The insane amount of adjustability on the seats was actually kind of cool :D

·
il faut voir pour savoir
956 Posts
I'll just say what I think about my VR-4:

Comfort- One of the most comfortable cars I have ever drove. You can drive very long distances in complete comfort given the adjustability and ergonomics of the seats and steering wheel, including a shift knob in exactly the right place. Every guage is viewable, the stereo controls on the steering wheel makes the stereo very easy to control.

Performance- My VR-4 was very stock when it ran a [email protected] I only had an open element intake filter, a downpipe, a testpipe, and a MBC @ 15psi, and that was done on pump gas. I have no complaints about the straight line performance whatsoever. Third gear is a beast. Around turns, in stock form understeer was present if you went in too hot and I could never really get oversteer on demand on the way out. However, once I lowered it with intrax springs and put on a trust rear strut bar, the understeer went away and was replaced by very neural cornering with oversteer more or less on demand. The car sticks to the road extremely well, and holds a corner better than anything I've ever driven.

Reliability- The only thing ever to go bad on me was my starter. The only thing. Engine ran the 12.7 with 145,000 miles on it (on everything .. turbos, injectors, rings, everything). My first and second gear grinded when I bought the car, and the TOB was bad, but they were an easy fix.

In any event ... I've had a great experience with mine and I would highly recommend one. I hope my post was helpful. :)

-Ryan

·
Registered
934 Posts
everytime anyone mentions how heavy they are, the other side has to spit out numbers to show how good it is. no one doubts its fast, it just feels like crap doing it.

·
doin alright, thanks ;-)
311 Posts
NoPistons said:
The 3000gt, especially the 1999, is a very respectable car. They corrected many of the problems that the earlier generation had been prone to. Also the 1999 was the best looking of all of the models. As fas as performance goes, check out www.dynamicracing.com. They will have just about all the parts and information that you would need. These cars respond very well to mods, but they could have used bigger turbos from the factory. The stock 9b turbos are very small and can't push much past 14 psi before it is just blowing hot air. Also, the power drops off a little bit after about 5000rpm due to the small turbo size. The turbos are fairly easy to swap out (as opposed to my 300zx TT) and wi9ll make a huge differance. These are some of my favorite cars, and I would highly recomend them.
Great review - incredibly accurate.

I owned a '99 and it was a fantastic car. Very reliable, fast (took to light mods quite well) and even with the weight, it handled extremely well. A beautiful car, too. I would recommend it to anyone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts