Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I picked up my gf from work and was gona took the long way home (on the freeway) I was tunning my car a little doing some 3rd gear pulls. Anyway I guess during one of my last pulls I flew past this z8. Then as I was just driving normal while making some changes I see some bright lights come flying up on me. At first I thought it must have been a cop cause it was still plenty bright out side. But after noticing that they werent' the head lights of a car that the highway patrol uses here I dropped a gear and waited for whatever it was to catch me. I was doing 60 and the z8 flew past probably doing 90 or so. I cought up to him and we both slowed back down to about 60.. The driver was a older guy probably in his 50's. Anyway he punches it, and I do a split second later. I honestly thought he would probably walk me, but to my suprise I put about a car on him by 90. We did it another two times with the same result. Then he took his exit giving me a thubs up and we waved.

hehe that made my day. As I was only running 12 psi cause my old fuel pump died and I had to put the stocker back in.

BTW my mods are DR-500 turbos and supporting mods. I was so bumbed I didn't have my video cam cause I left it at work to capture some video. Oh well for now on. I am gona take it with me whenever I go out ;)

·
You serious?
2,999 Posts
Sounds like it might have been a Z4. Those Z8's have like 390HP AT THE WHEELS. Running 12psi on those DR500's I would find it hard to believe you pulling on a Z8 on the highway no less, with AWD to boot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He had the slit lights and the z8 emblem.

I didn't think I would pull him but I did.

As I understand it there are two engine options and either an auto or 6speed.

the 4.8L is listed as 375 hp Which I doubt puts over 375 hp to the wheels. Also it was an older dude maybe he should have down shifted but didn't. ??? Who knows? All I know is it made my day :)

·
Hardtopper
2,473 Posts
Z8's only run high 12's around 108-109MPH. A DR500-equipped VR-4 should have no problem pulling one from a roll, even at 12psi.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Re: 3000GT VR4 VS Z8 from a roll

Formula1Vendetta said:
Sounds like it might have been a Z4. Those Z8's have like 390HP AT THE WHEELS. Running 12psi on those DR500's I would find it hard to believe you pulling on a Z8 on the highway no less, with AWD to boot.
340 @ the wheels and they weigh 400 pounds less than an m5.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And another thing you should note, up here at 4700FT large displacement v8's usualy only make around 80-85% as much power as they would at sea level. While boosted cars are also effected. It doesn't seem to be as extream

And last year there was a z8 running high 14's with low traps *if I remember right.

F

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: 3000GT VR4 VS Z8 from a roll

Formula1Vendetta said:
huh? where do you get 390 at the wheels? M5s witht he same motor dyno 330-340wheel....

·
Hardtopper
2,473 Posts

·
here for realgirlsthread
111 Posts
no... DR650's are more comparable to 15Gs. DR500s are more like 13Gs. theyre pretty small. a twin DR500 VR4 should hold about 17 psi to redline.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used to have 13g's on my car, DR-500's are quite a bit better then 13g's imo.

And its not uncomon for a DR-500 powered car to beat a 15g powered car.

·
here for realgirlsthread
111 Posts
zizux said:
I used to have 13g's on my car, DR-500's are quite a bit better then 13g's imo.

And its not uncomon for a DR-500 powered car to beat a 15g powered car.
i was speaking more in terms of spoolup and application than simply flow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts