Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Turbo Fire Truck Driver
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a couple of races last night, even though I wasn't really planning on doing much racing last night (cops were out IN FORCE). Towards the end of the night I got a couple bites. Anyway, I'm rolling towards one end of the local cruising strip and a I see a silver 300ZX in my rearview mirror dodging traffic trying to catch up with me. So, I slow up a little to make it a little easier on him (I'm as curious as he is apparently) and we make it to a light together. He rolls down his window and compliments me on my car (which I thank him for) and ask's me what I have done. I reply that I'm just running a few bolt-ons (i've gotten away from using the BPU terminology because it seems to create more confusion than anything else). I never did find out what he had for mods but I imagine it was probably stock or very lightly modded.
As we're pulling away from the light I kinda get the idea that the guy wants to go so I leave it in second (instead of shifting to third when I normally would) and wait... sure enough he punches it and I punch it just a bit after he does. We stay pretty well even through the rest of second but once we shift into third I start pulling away from him. I put several cars on him and shut down around the top of third. He rolls by and they give me the thumbs up. I wave and nod appreciatively and they drive off. Kinda nice to see a Turbo 300ZX in town. I've seen plenty of the NA's around, but only one turbo (not including this one).
Not too long after that race I decide to head out of town to go mess around with the 2-Step I finally put in a few weeks ago. I'm sitting at one of the last lights in town with the 2-Step armed, rev'ing it and making adjustments. Well, on the left some kind of SUV rolls up and starts gawking. Then on my right a B15 Sentra SE-R pulls up and starts revving like he wants to race. My first thought is WTF? :WTF: Then I hear the unmistakeable sound of a blow-off valve... I have to admit I was pretty impressed that someone decided to take the time and effort to turbo their Sentra. So, I figure what the hell, I'll bite. So, I mash the throttle and let my boost build... the light turns green and the Sentra hit's it hard. I let out the clutch and realize that I should've set the 2-Step higher becuse my car immediately bogs. It hit the 2-Step limit again because I wasn't quick enough on turning it off. :doh: Now, bear in mind that right now I don't have a clutch-switch wired into the 2-Step so I have to manually switch it off via the rocker on my goody panel, then get my hand back to the shifter in time to shift. Well, needless to say I went nowhere fast with the car sputtering and the Sentra was to the next intersection before I'd even crossed the intersection we started at. The people in the SUV to the left of me were laughing hysterically. I tried to be a good sport about it and laughed and smiled at them. :rolleyes: The last time I felt that embarrased was when I tried racing an SRT-4 from a dig (I'd had my Supra barely a week) and forgot to shut the Traction Control off (with a lil' hottie in my passenger seat). Needless to say got my ass handed to me that time too.
:iwdumbass
Anyway, I figure I'll catch up to him and see if he wants to go from a roll so I pull up and pop my BOV right next to him to get his attention... it works. It doesn't turn out to be much of a race, he guns it and the second I lay into the throttle it's over as I start to put car length after car length on him. I shut down around 120. As I'm turning around another car (which looks like a kia or Mitsu SUV) slams on the brakes and pulls in behind me. "Great" I think, some self-proclaimed justice of the peace taking down my plate. Actually I don't know if it was that or just an admirer but I wasn't going to take a chance so I scoot my little but out of there and back up into the triple digits to put as much distance between us as possible and lose him on one of the cloverleafs just outside of town. Once I get back into town I figure I've embarassed myself enough for one night so I headed home to nurse my ego.

Moral of the story: Anything can happen on the street.

Wes

·
100% Eurotrash
1,108 Posts
nice kills.

after 11pm the cops seemed to have doubled...it was nuts. I saw 9 people pulled over just cruising down east wash one way...

btw, clean car, it was nice seeing an mk4 out. if I were boosting more than 4 psi I would have raced you. boost leaks are teh suck.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
You make it sound like it is a waste of time that someone took the time and effort to turbocharg their Sentra. You should know that turbocharged Sentra SER's can be very fast. I have heard of some making over 300whp on stock internals, which gives it a power to weight ratio pretty close to a BPU MK4. Good kill, and death.

·
100% Eurotrash
1,108 Posts
The owner of that silver 300zx is an asshole. he kept trying to get me to race him a few weeks ago, then falls back and talks to my friend in his CRX...

"hey I could walk all over him, I think he's NA....you could take him."

Honestly I didn't feel like racing him because:
a.) I run what I brung, and that is a supra that only boosted 5 psi, had major exhaust leaks and misfire issues.
b.) He wasn't impressive...ooo look at you, you can shoot out a couple cars and blow off at me. Oh no, twin turbo....I'm scared.
c.) 8 billion cops. Radar detector was going ballistic.

By the way, met him at a honda meet later that week. It's a 91 TT, has an exhaust and intake. :rolleyes:

·
Turbo Fire Truck Driver
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe it was an RB'd or SR'd Sentra... dunno, I'll be the first to admit I don't know anything about Nissans. And actually I was impressed because it's not something you see everyday not because I think it's stupid to turbo an SE-R. If someone turbos a pinto and it makes them happy... hey, good for them. Life on the street would be very boring if people only modded the same cars over and over again.

NA_MKIII said:
The owner of that silver 300zx is an asshole. he kept trying to get me to race him a few weeks ago, then falls back and talks to my friend in his CRX...
Bah, people talk so much smack out on the wash... don't take it personally. Half the time they just want to see if they can goad you into getting on it to flush out any cops up ahead. Just ask them if they want to put a fifty down on the race and see if they keep talking. I don't know what's worse right now... the road construction or the cops. I figure they're probably trying to show a nice strong presence to see if they can kill the crusing season before it begins. Oh well, the cruising on E. Wash has been in steady decline for the past 3 or 4 years now anyway. I was up in Eau Claire last weekend and it's starting to seem like there's more cruising/racing up there than there is in Madison.

Wes

·
100% Eurotrash
1,108 Posts
it just gets under my skin when they act like they never said shit the next day at a car meet.

I think the cops are in such force because of the construction. They know the kids will keep racing, so why not get the point across with doubled fines...besides, if people are dumb enough to RACE on east wash....they deserve to have 2 squad cars behind them to give them a nice $500+ set of tickets.

·
OT Member
22 Posts
NA_MKIII said:
c.) 8 billion cops. Radar detector was going ballistic.
Street Racing out here in SCal is becoming quite costly. If they catch you, they can impound your car and have it crushed (ie destroyed) :O

Choose you races cautiously everyone, it could be quite costly.

·
Invert.
257 Posts
ChazZ said:
Street Racing out here in SCal is becoming quite costly. If they catch you, they can impound your car and have it crushed (ie destroyed) :O

Choose you races cautiously everyone, it could be quite costly.
Sheeeeeeeiiiiit, crushed car?! Thats just cold... :takethat:

·
Registered
41 Posts
good stuff

·
Registered
106 Posts
nice kill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts